2012 Survival Monkey Fatty Challenge

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Jan 16, 2012.

1. groovy mike

groovy mike Immortal

The superbowl brought out the cheese curls, then we had a couple birthdays in my family this week.... So not good for weight loss, but still trying.....

2. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

managed to start getting back into the gym at work (yes, my company has an on site gym and personal trainer). was a rough couple of days to begin with but now I'm feeling better.

hopefully I'll keep it up

3. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Hit another plateau down 2lbs Im going to change up my work out and see if I can get a drop going again.

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Weighed in this morning.... Down one more pound... 300 Even... just dang lucky after the Big Party Sunday......

5. kckndrgn

Weighed myself this morning, still at 238 thankfully. yes thankfully, been off the diet for a while and thought i was regaining some of my weight.

time to step it up in the gym my goal is 230lbs by my B-day in March. May sound easy, but I have "fatty liver disease" which means my metabolism sucks. I need to loose weight to improve my liver, but because of the condition of my liver it's hard for me to loose weight.

Even on a high protein, low carb diet where most people start dropping weight quickly, I was lucky to shed 1 lb a week.

6. Ajax

Ajax Monkey++

1 lb a week isn't bad. Not including carb induced water weight I have never been able to drop more than about a solid 1.5 lbs in a week, usually more like .5 - 1 lbs.

Quigley_Sharps likes this.
  7. Quigley_Sharps

Found this :

The liver has become a fat storage organ rather than a fat burning organ - so this situation must be reversed before actual weight loss can occur. Obviously this will depend on the extent of the fatty liver as to how long this will take. Also be prepared for the fact that you will more than likely hit a 'plateau' - where weight loss will stop or slow right down - this may go on for weeks or a month or two. Don't be discouraged at this time - the fat loss is occurring - but is going from within your liver so you may not see any visible fat loss from the body - stick with it! It is at this time that people will tend to give up thinking that that's it - they won't lose any more - not true! You must be diligent and patient - the symptoms you are experiencing have taken years to develop and cannot be reversed by a couple of weeks of "dieting". Yo Yo dieting is not advisable as the weight lost will return plus more and the metabolism will slow.

http://www.liverdoctor.com/index.php?page=fatty-liver

8. kckndrgn

Quig that describes my weight loss to a T.

The only "lifestyle" not diet, that has worked for me is the "Miracle Diet", which is basically a modified atkins. Low/no carbs the first 8 weeks, then the next 8 weeks adding a few carbs to the diet, then last 8 weeks is adding the 'healthy' carbs back into your diet gradually.

I'm starting over on the first 8 weeks again, it was during that time that i actually had some weight loss along with a small reduction in my waist size.

9. enough

enough Monkey++

BT [applaud] congrats on the 300, now get back into the "2's"! When was the last time you were there?

I've had to switch up my nutrition little bit. I've been pretty animal and nut heavy in the diet lately. I've been adding a lot of veggies and fruits. I've also been trying harder to have some breakfast then virtually nothing but liquids until dinner. (We eat pretty early)

I've noticed that a little bit of beef broth around lunch time makes a HUGE difference. Plus its winter in MI and the warmth helps.

Officially down to 187.5 this morning.

10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Officially I haven't been in the 2's in a few decades.... When I got married, in 1972 I was 185, lean and all muscles. Now I am 300, and mostly BIG, and OLD.... Oh well, the SawBones says that I am doing OK, so that is about as good as it gets when your Old.... ......

11. strunk

strunk Monkey+

I'm now down 60 pounds since September. All of my blood panels are coming back healthy now except for lipids (cholesterol, triglycerides). I think my physician gave me bad advice about eating olive oil being OK. Anyway, I'm more or less eating whole plant foods, almost nothing processed now... no added oils or sugars. No fish, no animal proteins of any kind. My chickens are pets now, and their eggs are used as diplomatic gifts with the neighbors.

Now that I'm getting pretty well settled in with this sort of lifestyle, it does make it harder for me to eat socially with other people, but I think it'll make life easier for me to transition more heavily into eating from the garden & long term stores of grains & cereals.

I'll know in a few more months if I've been able to get my lipids in order without the help of drugs. I was able to hit everything else that was wrong. Weight is still coming off, and I'm close to the halfway mark with that.

I'm eating really well. Not starving or anything. Almost everything I'm eating at this point could be grown in the garden (if the garden were bigger). Everything, that is, minus the grains & cereals.

This is also making deep stores of grains a lot more attractive, since I work with them in the kitchen daily now and I would be storing exactly the kinds of foods that I'm already eating in times of plenty anyway.

12. Quigley_Sharps

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
  13. Quigley_Sharps

No Magic potions….. No fairy dust….
    No one to push you… No one to do it for you….
    Just one determined foot in front of the other…..
    Quigs work out motto....

kckndrgn likes this.
  14. kckndrgn

Haven't weighed myself in a week or so, but I can tell my belt is getting a little loose. I would like to get to 230 on/before March 19th. That would be best birthday present I could give myself :)

15. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

- 4 lbs since starting. See a trainer twice a week when I am in town. He kicks the tar out of me. I am up to 30 min of stair master 5 times a week, working towards an hour and muscle toning versus building weight regime. Thses past few weeks have reminded me that I am past my prime in all areas except 16 oz. curls.

16. BZ853

BZ853 Monkey

in. I started at 6'00" 220# back in october, am now 6"1" 190#.

17. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

Crafty is now in with his own Lenten, soon to be patented, "ATF Diet."
    No alcohol, no tobacco, and cuttin' way back on the food.

18. groovy mike

groovy mike Immortal

keep going guys!
    I am the turtle.
    Slow and steady but no retreat.
    Down 2 pounds in 2 weeks. I'll take progress in the right direction no matter how small.

19. enough

enough Monkey++

slow going for me lately. Down two more pounds, as my low for the week. 185.5.

I should be posting the reasons for slow progress in the beer tents. [peep]

20. kckndrgn

Keep up the good work. Weight loss is slow for me as well, and beer has nothing to do with it :( It's just HARD for me to shed the weight.

I managed to ding up my left elbow, have a nerve that is inflamed so it constantly feels like I've bumped my funny bone. That just makes my workouts soo much more fun.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7