2014 Gardening

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by VHestin, Mar 9, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Mike

Mike Ol' Army Sergeant Monkey

Collard and mustard greens as well?????? oh way, I'm the dang Texan again talking like that, huh??? :p

2. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

No mustard greens yet, but they will be planted, collard greens will be planted later as well.

Mike likes this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Wow V, you are so far ahead of me. My blueberries still have so much snow around them it will be a month plus before I see any signs of life.

4. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I'm impatient, that's why ;-) Planted a row of beets today, tomorrow start seeds for rosemary, echinacea, and stevia.

Yard Dart and tulianr like this.
  5. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Well I think one of the celery seeds might have sprouted, Kentucky(my profile pic) knocked over the other starter peat pot for celery, hope the seeds are still in it. She also ate some of one of my mother's bamboos, and chewed some on the blackberry cuttings I'm hoping to be successful with. I LOVE BLACKBERRIES! Want to use it as a natural fencing along the back fence of our place. Already horse fencing there, but I want something to keep the deer out. Blackberries should grow tall/wide enough to make it non-jumpable over for them. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

Addition: And today I start seeds for eggplants, onions, radishes, and my chocolate ghost pepper(I'm hoping to manage that without touching the seeds with my bare hands), plus start a row of mustard greens, and another row of beets.

Mike likes this.
  6. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I'lll get a shot/picture of the dead trees from the drought, so bad that the roots are cracked and broken where the wind blew them down.

Garden happens when the rain returns.

Feds came by and told me I qualified for low interest loan due to weather conditions over the last 5 years.

Spit on that, don't need nor want no stinkin Fed hand outs.

Yard Dart and Mike like this.
  7. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Well I didn't get done any planting for me, cats knocked over my celery starts so I had to replant more seeds, went to visit a friend to get away from them for a bit, and ended up helping her transplant some onion starts, and I got a small pet food bag overflowing with rhubarb starts for my troubles. And by small I mean only 25lbs size bag.

8. Mike

I understand that if you bury the cat under the roots of the blackberries they come up real good

9. Mike

I like that attitude. But one thing, they will just waste it on someone else that doesn't really deserve it. Consider it a tax rebate

10. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Don't need to bury them now, that's one reason I left the house. And my friend medicated me with a cheesecake sampler platter and hot cocoa, so I'm okay now :)

11. Mike

Nice meds, lol....

Motomom34 likes this.
  12. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Great. Now all I can think of is strawberry-rhubarb pie. [tongue]

Still waiting for the last foot of snow to melt before I can do much for the garden. hissyfit

*sighs deeply* Keep calm and garden. [coo]

13. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

No way, taking their hand out has hooks.

14. Mike

understood

15. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Two raised beds, the wife is managing them, and some direct (in the ground) bushes.
    Raised beds:
    Radishes (2 varieties)
    Lettuce (3 varieties)
    Spinach
    Carrots (3 varieties)
    Peas (couple varieties)
    Cilantro/Corriander
    Bushes
    Blackberries (3 varieties of self pollinating, 2 each)
    Blueberries (2 varieties)
    Rhubarb...the wife loves her some Strawberry Rhubarb pie.
    Starting inside
    9,723,408,102 varieties of herbs...THEY ARE EVERYWHERE!

Next we're going to build a couple more raised beds and we're trying to decide what to put there. Tomatoes for one, probably some peppers and maybe some cukes and zucchini.

tulianr, Mike and Yard Dart like this.
  16. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Been relocating our beds and leveling them. Moved them about twenty feet for more moist ground and more sun. Added about two inches of well decayed horse and goat manure. Should make the plants act like "Jack and the Beanstalk"--lol. Lots of earth worms in the soil and that is a great sign of decaying humus. Our church has great piles of mulched and decaying leaves and will use them in the old garden sites for mulch and week control. Better and cheaper than plastic and I like cheap--lol.

17. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Well today I gotta do something with all the rhubarb(probably just give them some water, wait til the bad weather is gone before I plant them. Oh yesterday I also got a seed packet of Black Aztec corn. And I will find my Walla Walla seeds today hopefully. And need to start the seeds I didn't do yesterday. My sage, thyme, walking onion, and marjoram are doing well. Need to weed out the catnip and oregano patches before I can make sure they're okay.

Mike and DarkLight like this.
  18. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Just checked and I can see soil in my planters. I got the gardening urge.

Mike, VHestin and Yard Dart like this.
  19. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I won't be doing any more gardening until the current storm system goes away. But that's okay, plenty of inside spring cleaning to be done.

Mike likes this.
  20. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Here's a pic of my very happy rhubarb, you can see the leaf is already at least twice the size of my hand. Never been so big!

Also my beets, spinach, lettuce, and peas are sprouting :)
    Today I started seeds for tomatoes, basil, tomatillos, brussel sprouts, and ground cherries.

Attached Files:

kellory, Yard Dart and tulianr like this.
  1. Alanaana
    Gecko enjoying the fountain
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 26, 2024 at 4:03, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
  3. Alanaana
    My outdoor orchid blossomed today!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 22, 2024 at 19:09, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Alanaana
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 21, 2024 at 2:26, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    It's time for my yearly lychee progress picture!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 21, 2024 at 2:26, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 11, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Alanaana
  10. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  13. Alanaana
    I love Sundays!
  14. Alanaana
  15. Alanaana
    I'm always happier outside!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  16. Alanaana
  17. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  18. Alanaana
  19. Alanaana
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7