2014 Gardening

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by VHestin, Mar 9, 2014.

Tags:
  1. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

We bought a 2pack of gold raspberries today at Bi-Mart. And I think the sorghum is starting to sprout :)

Mike likes this.
  2. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

The crane melons are sprouting! And yesterday was annual plant exchange and luncheon(they had marshmallows to dip into melted chocolate!!!!) hosted by the church all my neighbors go to. I got a spearmint(mine died last year), feverfew, mammoth sunflower, and mom got a few raspberries. Oh and we got a couple of petunias(they had one for everybody who came).

Yard Dart and Mike like this.
  3. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Got all 6 raspberries planted today, I'm not sure if they will all make it, the wet wrapping around 3 of them, it got loose and the roots were exposed and dry and the leaves were shriveling up. So I soaked 'em good before I planted them, and then again when they were in the ground. Keeping fingers crossed. Rained good yesterday, so I don't have to water until tomorrow.

Mike likes this.
  4. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

One of my ghost peppers has sprouted! Really hoping I can nurture it enough so I can get some peppers(and therefore more seeds). I need to buy some more surgical gloves. I ain't stupid enough to touch them with my bare hands. I'm stupid enough sometimes to do other stuff though.

Oh and my wheat has sprouted and is growing fast. Next week all my seedlings go in the ground. EXCEPT the hot peppers, those will stay in containers so I can bring them in during bad weather.

5. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

A second ghost pepper sprouted, as well as one chocolate habanero. Ate the first pea today. 0624140858.
    Already had a few salads. Haven't got all the starts in the ground yet, hopefully I can do that this week. Glad I didn't do it earlier, had the typical late frost for a few nights a couple weeks ago. Only one of the cataloupes is still alive, but I don't think it's doing too well.

Yard Dart likes this.
  6. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I had the same issue with my cucumbers last year and lost all of them due to frost.

7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

The garden is nicely growing. My strawberries are thriving but no fruit because currently the birds have beaten me to the harvest.

8. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Raining today, not hard at all, just enough to water everything nicely, and have it be cooler to help the water do more. I got my watermelon starts in the ground yesterday morning. Forgot by afternoon, was looking at the little shelf thing I have the starts on, basil was all by itself on the top shelf, I freaked out momentarily, thinking something had knocked the watermelon over onto the floor/ground.

Motomom34 likes this.
  9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

We have had nice warm days so things have really started to do better. It is my first year of planting turnips and they are taking off. Real hardy plants.

Yard Dart and VHestin like this.
  10. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I'm starting to get some decent harvest from mine. Too many green beans to eat fresh, but not enough for canning so I'll blanch and freeze them. Tomatoes are starting to ripen, picked 2 yesterday, should get a few more in the next couple of days. Daughter has been begging for some fried green tomatoes, so i pulled a couple of green ones and we'll have that as a side with tonights dinner :)
    squash and zucchini are developing fine.
    Pulled the last turnip, so now I need to sow some more seeds to continue the harvest.

Motomom34 likes this.
  11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I am envious @kckndrgn that you are already harvesting. I can safely plant after Memorial day so I won't be harvesting for about a month.

12. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I got my ghost peppers into their permanent pots, and the tomatillos and yellow pear tomatoes in the ground.

Motomom34 likes this.
  13. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

V! I was gardening today and wondered how your peppers were coming along. I put in a new side melon/squash garden, this way I don't have them chocking out my planter boxes.

14. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

They're doing alright, seemed to take no harm from the transplanting, which is all good :)

15. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I actually went to a grow shop and splurged. I couldn't believe what they have to help plants grow. It was an eye-opening experience for me. I bought some wonder soil, it contains coconut and other plant loving things in it. I have noticed an up-tick in growth since I put it in my boxes and around my berry bushes. Everything seems greener and happier. I have a tree that I planted last year that hasn't developed any leaves on the top. Since treating it, I am getting leaf buds up the branches.

16. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

@Motomom34 , was "wonder soil" the name of it? Good to know.
    I've got one new bed this year, and I did not expect stellar results, but my pepper plants are really stunted.

Tomatoes on the other hand, i have one plant approaching 6' and is loaded with fist size maters :)

Motomom34 and Yard Dart like this.
  17. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I have seen "super soil" at Home Depot that was primarily used as a grass starter... great success with it.... but it may work for gardening, never tried that but maybe an experiment is due to see if there is a benefit.

Motomom34 likes this.
  18. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
    My outdoor orchid blossomed today!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 22, 2024 at 19:09, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 21, 2024 at 2:26, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
    It's time for my yearly lychee progress picture!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 21, 2024 at 2:26, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 11, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
  9. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
    I love Sundays!
  13. Alanaana
  14. Alanaana
    I'm always happier outside!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  15. Alanaana
  16. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  17. Alanaana
  18. Alanaana
  19. Alanaana
    Media

Garden

My herb garden loves the rain.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  20. Alanaana
    Somewhere... can you see it?
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 24, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7