22 LR Sidearm conversion kits.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by M118LR, May 30, 2017.

1. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

As Kingfish has pointed out many solid reasons for adding the 22 LR to your kit, I was just wondering how many others have a 22 LR conversion kit for thier sidearm? (Suppressed preferably)

Being a .45 affectionado all my rounds are subsonic so it's not like I'd be tossing 9 mm subsonic rounds to the side while making room for 22 LR's. I have 22 LR conversions for my Glock's and 1911's. (Kimber conversions for 1911's)

For those using 9 mm sidearms: would it worthwhile to carry a 22 LR conversion?

Tully Mars, Ura-Ki and AxesAreBetter like this.
  2. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Goin for the Glory

I'd consider getting a 22lr revolver but not a conversion kit for my EDC, seems pointless in a state of lawlessness and life or death situations.
    YMMV

Homer Simpson, M118LR and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I can see the merits of a "conversion" but for me, a dedicated .22 pistol makes more sence! the Ruger MK4 stands out in my mind as perfect for any job i would have for a .22 pistol.

Caveman Jim, M118LR and Tully Mars like this.
  4. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I have a Colt ACE .22LR conversion for my 1911's.
    I have used this thing since the 80's. Initially I bought it for training, and still use it for that but it also makes a great plinker. My thoughts training wise was that using my frame and having the Ace upper set up with the same sights as my .45 slide allowed me to practice speed drills, holster drills, ect for the cost of a brick of .22 LR-10 bux at the time. Works great and I still use it today. Draw, sight picture, presentation can all be practiced on the cheap as it were. I always finish up with .45 practice of course, but this system works for me. I have the .22LR conversions for the AR's as well. One of those coupled with the suppressor on the AR makes for a good game getter for the BOB.
    As far as suppressed pistols go, my favorite is my Ruger MKII. I could hand it to you and if you don't know what you're looking at you can't tell it's suppressed. I'm rather proud of the way that one turned out. Suppressing a 9mm is kind of a pain with the sonic crack which is why I went with the 1911. No need to carry "special" rounds.

Yard Dart, stg58, M118LR and 3 others like this.
  5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Conversion kits for your AR makes it cheaper target practicing.

stg58, Ura-Ki, M118LR and 1 other person like this.
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I know of NO Conversion for my Belgian Browning HiPower.... So instead, I bought a Ruger 22/45. with the 4.5" Treaded Barrel, a few years back, and mounted an Reflex Sight with Laser on it.... Liked that so much I bought another, with the 5" Barrel, and mounted a Red/Green Optical Sight on it.... So we have one each 22LR Pistols for Momma & I, and those do nice;y for local Critters & Varmints, around the AoO.....
    IMG_0349.
    I Sighted in the Optics on both at 50Ft and the Laser on the upper Weapon at 20ft.... That seems to be the most useful around here... When the Price, and Regulations, on Cans changes, I will buy a Can for the upper Weapon as well.....

7. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Considered adding a ppk to my kit for these reasons...bought a blowgun instead.

Witch Doctor 01, Ura-Ki and M118LR like this.
  8. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Ura-Ki and M118LR like this.
  9. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

I have a 22lr factory conversion for my SIG 226 40S&W/357 Sig. IMHO it was a waste of money. Was disappointed because it is not a reliable unit. For a Sig Sauer product, having jams ever two or three magazines was not worth the $300 I paid for it.

As is, I have enough 22lr rifles and handguns. Better for me to spend the money on ammo instead.

M118LR likes this.
  10. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

I just thought that given the limited use, (ie silent small game hunting) it wouldn't be practical to assign allot of excess weight to a specialty cartridge/pistol. A conversion kit + 22 suppressor weighs in at less than half of a complete suppressed sidearm. A box of 50 .22 LR's weighs near a single mag of .45 ACP's. Even in the service you are allowed 5 lbs of optional equipment. So after reading and mulling over what Kingfish had to say, seeing as how I've already purchased these items for cost effective practice, I'll admit that the useful range and weight of the .22 LR has quite a bit of promise as long as I don't have to dedicate to much ruck space & weight. JMHO.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    Yard Dart, Tully Mars and Ura-Ki like this.
  11. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

I have a .22LR conversion for a Beretta 92 and I'm sorry I got it (the kit, not the 92).

It works great and there is nothing wrong with it, but for what it cost I could have bought a separate .22 gun.

Live and learn...

M118LR, stg58 and Ura-Ki like this.
  12. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I have a .22 conversion for a 1911 and one for an M16. The M16 is suppressed and runs like a Singer sewing machine. I rarely use the 1911 conversion because I also have airsoft blowback 1911 and 2011s and that's what I use for USPSA practice. Those little plastic balls are a lot cheaper than .22 LR but I do have several .22 handguns, my favorite being a 1956 Colt Woodsman (made the same year as I), a High Standard HD Military, A Trophy Citation, A Colt Diamondback, a suppressed Sig Mosquito, a couple of Llama mini-1911s, and a few more. I just built a Les Baer lower for the .22 conversion but then ran into a deal on a slide, National match barrel and bushing, and now I am looking for a Double Star or some other cheap lower for the conversion.

Dunerunner, VisuTrac, M118LR and 3 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7