.223x4 DIY Bolt Action Using AR Upper

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by 3M-TA3, Jun 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Hey folks, who needs an 80% lower when you can whittle yer own outta a 2x4? That AK grip outta make it more reliable than your city folk AR contraption, and if you wanna go tacticool you can paint that sucker black!

That 1x Home Depot scope is mighty fine, too!

upload_2017-6-17_13-12-54.
    Double Down On Doomsday Builds - The .223 By Four - The Firearm Blog

2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Okay NOW...NOW I have seen everything. :lol:

3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Let the ATF try to regulate that !! :rolleyes: :cautious: :censored:

No, No I don't want the price of lumber to triple!! :eek:

Tully Mars, Ura-Ki and 3M-TA3 like this.
  4. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Hm. Realtree camo ---

5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

You talkin' 'bout that special forces version where they leave the bark on? That's supposed to be a secret.

6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

All Be Damn, Wood on a rifle, who wood A thunk it?!?!?!
    That one in the OP's pictures is still missing some parts, so no idea if it really works, but given that the top end is where all the "work" happens, and the bottom end is just there to hold the trigger and mag's I can see the possibility!

Motomom34, Legion489 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  7. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

It's a bolt action...that might explain missing pieces ;)

Ura-Ki and 3M-TA3 like this.
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Can you get one with a live edge grain?

9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Just went by the OP's posted pictures, and the thread title says AR-15 so..................

10. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I missed that too, you can see what looks like a side charging handle in the lower left of the picture. Title updated to please the Forum lawyers. Please do not engage Gloria Allred.
    upload_2017-6-17_15-50-26.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  11. duane

duane Monkey+++

Interesting and it carries the Saturday night special to a whole new level. Actually becomes a straight pull bolt action once you do away with the gas tube and that raises a lot of problems for those in the gun control world. Reading the referred to article and they referenced a home built break action 12 ga that looks nice and would work. If carried out to the old H & R single shot concept, I think it would fire rifle bullets and with a nc milling machine and rifled barrels, you could probably make practice or hand out rifles, single shot, for very little money and less paper work or stock components for the SHTF. While not in the class of Mr Single Shot builds, it has 1/10 the complexity, and I would love to hear what the technically minded on the blog think of the safety aspects of the construction of the break action. Not having access to SCRIBD. I have not down loaded the drawings of the 12 ga.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  12. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I have no doubts that this was manufactured in Alabama or Tennessee. It just has a certain "Bubba" characteristic.

13. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I'm kinda surprised they didn't get a hinge from the hardware store and make it a folder...

Also I'm not so sure it would have been all that hard to make it semi automatic. Drill a hole for the buffer and use the right size pipe as a liner. You would have to extend the safety, and the trigger group appears standard.

14. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

He also would have needed to drill a gas port, as the barrel he had didn't have one. That was part of the reason for him going bolt action.
    But you are right. If you have a semi- upper laying around, it wouldn't be difficult to adapt.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

[nono]

Dunerunner and 3M-TA3 like this.
  16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The anti gun liberaltards won't know it's a bolt action, even if you tell them it's a bolt action they still won't have any compression of what that entails. All they see is an assault rifle, made with a 2x4 lol.

17. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Hater... :D

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7