.22LR at Academy

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by jim2, Aug 13, 2014.

1. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

Just scored two boxes of Aquila at Academy in Austin. They probably have 2K+ rds of the normal stuff, and 1500 rds of some "Auto Match" that they want 200.00 per brick for.! Unbelievable!

So far, I've not seen the "adequate" supplies I keep hearing about. Must be shopping in the wrong places.

jim

2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Absolutely none here on the Oregon Coast. Scored 1000 rnds of CCI Mini Mags from Gander Mountain, but that was nearly a year ago. Not enough to go shooting!!

3. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
  4. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

5. scrapman21009

scrapman21009 Chupacabra Hunter

No, he is selling empty boxes for those of us that reload our .22 shells. Gunkid taught me how, you should try it[LMAO]

Seawolf1090, oldawg and Mountainman like this.
  6. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

Gunkid !!
    I think thats the guy i bought my wheelbarrel gun from

oldawg likes this.
  7. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

I miss him. So easy to bait.

8. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Gander Mountain in Charlotte (new store, opened Tuesday) had shelves of 22 lr. I don't have anything that eats it so I didn't check prices but they had a bunch of EVERYTHING (although the guy said they ran through a pallet each of 9mm and .45 in 500rd boxes within a couple hours of opening).

They still had a LOT of EVERYTHING. Heck, they actually sell 5.56 as well as .223 there (although it's between .40 and .60 per round).

9. AmericanRedoubt1776

AmericanRedoubt1776 American Redoubt: Idaho-Montana-Wyoming Site Supporter+

I still prefer to use ammoseek.com and gunbot.net to find our ammo 'fix'. Where possible we try to buy from both mail order / online and local gun store sources in the American Redoubt area of Idaho-Montana to support the local economy and employment for the locals -- even to the point of only buying ammo that is manufactured in the Redoubt (e.g. Freedom Munitions, CCI, BVAC-Ammo.com Bitter Root Valley, Armscor Stevenson Montana, et al). Montana has no sales tax. So that's nice. Lots of local good deal Walmart Winchester 555 boxes stocked up from before Obama election has tided us over however.

sec_monkey likes this.
  10. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

You can't find those boxes of 555 here.:(

11. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Local stores are always dry of rimfire, and when one does get some in, they seem to think these are the Lone Ranger's Silver Bullets judging by the mark-up! Talk about 'highway robbery'! I have been able to get some online, paying rather more than I'd prefer, but the market is what it is.
    I have ordered and received a .22LR reloading kit (and paid an ungodly price for the bits&pieces, don't ask...) so I need to try it out to prove it, then stash in my cache along with the lead I got from my late Dad's fishing nets. I already cast for my .38 and .45 bullets, so casting the heeled .22s won't be hard. Priming .22LR and .22WMR is well covered on youtube, the trick is getting the crimp - this kit takes care of the casting and the crimping. I know I will never 'break even' on the cost of it - but if and when 'The Day' comes, I can reload the empties - a time or two at least.

Mountainman and kellory like this.
  12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

@Seawolf1090 What Powder/Paste are you using for Priming? Inquiring Minds want to know.... I would be interested in seeing any Loading Data you might have...

13. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Just got the kit yesterday, so still looking for that info. I'll likely use a tiny bit of a common pistol powder, and need to revue a Youtube video on repriming the .22LR - he used the powder from toy caps. I have acquired some myself, but need to see how he made his slurry. What evaporative solvent? This is an ongoing project.
    I also have seen a guy use the tips from 'strike anywhere' matches, but current production matches are said to be less effective than they used to be - Dot_Gov trying to prevent their use by meth-makers apparently.
    I measured the powder load in a common Winchester .22LR load, and it comes to 1.1grains according to my digital scale. A very fine grained powder.

14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Seen were Academy down here has started stocking reloading supply's, Only saw the dies so far, Hope powder and primers to follow.

15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

YouTube video on some guy using 22lr cases to make .223 projectiles, May want to check it out.

16. BTPost

The most common Primer Powder/Paste in use today is Lead Styphanate, where a very small Dab, is placed on the inside, Bottom, of the case. This Energetic Material is sensitive to mechanical shock forces, in the Extreme. The Cap Gun Caps, of my youth, were usually .05 Grains of FFFG Black Powder, sandwiched between two layers of thin Paper. These aren't near as sensitive, as the Styphanate salts, or the Phosphorus/PerChlorate/Sulfur compounds from the OLD Strike Anywhere Matches. I suspect that the Powder used in Rimfire Ammunition will be extremely Fast Powder, similar in characteristics, to Bullseye. 1.1 Grains sounds about right, for a Loading, +/- a .1 Grain. Please post your results, as you experiment with the Kit. There are interested Monkeys.....

gunbunny, ghrit and kellory like this.
  17. tract

tract On Hiatus Banned

I just use airsoft and .177 pellet guns a LOT more. The stuff you are talking about using is corrosive, did you know that? better clean the gun really well after such use, or you'll ruin it.

18. BTPost

Which "Stuff" might that be? Inquiring Minds want to know........

19. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

I can honestly say I've never run across corrosive .22 ammo. Not saying it doesn't exist just that in 42 years I've never even seen any.

20. BTPost

I think he is talking about "ReLoaded 22 Ammo" but I am not sure....

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7