1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

.22LR Semi auto pistol

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Huntinbull, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Huntinbull

Huntinbull Monkey+

any thoughts on the less expensive .22 semi auto's? I have used Rugers (both mkII and mkIII as well as 22/45) have owned the S&W 22s, have used colt woodman, walther, etc. Any pro's con's for a particular model? Looking to buy one for my BOB.
  2. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

In automatics, I like the Ruger Mk I , II, and III and associated varients. Pros: built like a brick outhouse, accurate, adjustable sights, inexpensive magazines, plenty of them out there so plenty of parts, not easilily fouled by powder, positive extraction, and feeds all ammo well...

Cons: can be difficult to breakdown without practice

Revolvers, I like the venerable H&R 999 with a six inch barrel.
    Pro's: Top break with positive ejection, easy to clean extremely accurate, 9 shots, can take a beating and still shoot straight, adjustable sights, moderate price

Cons: getting harder to find at a reasonable price...

3. Yoldering

Yoldering Monkey+

I don't remember if these two are LR or not, probably not, but in the past I have had the Taurus PT22 and the Beretta Bobcat, the PT22 is a clone. The PT22 is a lot less expensive. It was pretty good for what it was. There are a lot of people who don't like Taurus. The Walther P22 is another great pistol. Here is a quick review I found on some .22's Genitron.com: Handgun Reviews-22LR's
  4. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

My favorites in terms of reliability and accuracy and sheer coolness:
    1. Colt Woodsman
    2. Browning Buckmark
    3. High Standard HD Military
    4. Colt 1911 w/Marvel .22 conversion
    5. High Standard Trophy Citation
    6. Walther PPK
    7. Llama mini-1911
    Brokor likes this.
  5. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

I would have to go with the Ruger MK series or the Browning Buckmark...sturdy and handy,but easy to pack or carry...
  6. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Adventure Riding Monkey Founding Member

I have the 5.5" bull barreled Browning Buckmark - I like it's ease of take-down for cleaning (beats the Ruger hands down!) and the M1911 grip shape - similar to my Colt .45.

Though I admit my all-time favorite and the one that gets the most range time is my fifties-era Whitney Wolverine. Very light but full size, Alcoa aluminum frame, funky sights but still a very good shooter! And the absolutely most comfortable grip shape I ever felt on a pistol! It would have been a much more successful design, but it barely went into production when an uppity young upstart named Bill Ruger marketed a simpler pistol at half the price....... :rolleyes:
  7. Huntinbull

Huntinbull Monkey+

Thanks for the insight and info.
  8. Wolfgang2000

Wolfgang2000 Monkey++

I bought my Ruger MK I in the PX on Ft. Richardson in 1975, for $49.95. I have no reason to replace it till 2002 (IIRC) and that was because I gave it to my son. I then bought a MK II. I still miss my MK I.

I've heard good things about several other 22 LR pistols. But nothing that could lure me away from my Rugers.
  9. Yoldering

Yoldering Monkey+

I forgot to say that my favorite .22 pistol I have ever had was the Ruger 22/45 it was not the cheapest though.
  10. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

I'll have to agree with the other guys, Ruger is my favorite. You might also want to go with stainless since in a BO situation cleaning might not be to frequent.
  11. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Adventure Riding Monkey Founding Member

One other semiauto .22 pistol I really like is Walther's P22. It's small, a scaled down equivalent to their full-size pistol though not as small as a PT22 or other mini. Still, my big hands have a bit of trouble gripping it well. But it's a very good shooter! My hunting buddy has one, and we shoot it often out at our hunting lease. It would be very easy to pack unseen in a BO situation.
  12. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

My favorite is a Ruger Mark I which I have owned since 1971. However, after shooting a variety of them over the years; it mostly comes to which fits your hand better, not the hand of others. Which points best for you, not me. Firearms are similar to clothes and shoes; it is what "works" well for you.
  13. Huntinbull

Huntinbull Monkey+

Anyone with experience with the S&W 22a or 22s? Have owned one and appreciated how easy it was to take down and clean and how accurate it was. Some of the parts felt a little cheap such as the safety lever/system, and the grips. Thinking of getting another since I am familiar, but wanted some further input. have shot ruger mk IIs extensively at the range I belonged to. I liked them until they needed a full breakdown and cleaning. It was like trying to learn a magic trick. LOL

The going rate for a 5.5 inch barreled S&W is an enticement also.
  14. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I am watching this one closely. I have wanted to pull the trigger on a SA .22LR for the last couple years.

It seems that Ruger owners are pretty happy. I have a related question- of the Mk I,II,and III, which is your favorite? Are there any advantages / disadvantages to those models?

Huntinbull- on the S&W 22, I have heard nothing but good things about them. Some are found at great prices used. One difficulty with them are holster availability. The same is true with the Beretta Neos- I once looked into those. I don't know if that is a factor to you, but I figured I would point it out.

It's a little more expensive, but my S&W 63 is a great .22 handgun. While not a SA, it does have the double action option. I have taken some squirrels and rabbits with it to date. It was the piece that got my blood pumping about handgun hunting and the handiness of a handgun as a game getter in SHTF (it led to the purchase of 2x more S&W revolvers for hunting). You don't have to worry about magazines. The new models hold 8 rounds in the same J-frame package that held 6 previously. It's a tack driver. Its not about hitting game with the 63, its about which eye you want to aim for ;). I really dig the 5" barrel on the new ones.
  15. The_Quietman

The_Quietman Monkey+

I bought a Ruger MKIII Target pistol, 6-7/8" barrel, slab side grips a few months ago. I have to say I really like it!

Check here for comparisons to the MKI, II and III.

Hispeedal2 likes this.
  16. redhawk

redhawk Monkey++

I've been in the market for a 22lr pistol for quite some time. I recently purchased a GSG 1911 but have not received it yet. My experience with GSG has been quite positive, as I have a GSG MP5 which is easily one of the most enjoyable guns I own. I've heard nothing but good things about the GSG 1911 series, and at $329 (pre shipping/transfer), the price is right. Might want to take a look at it if you're a fan of the 1911 platform but can't afford to shoot .45 all the time.[gun]
  17. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Have "abused" a Browning Buckmark for many years w/o any problems. A good bud has a Ruger and we enjoy both worlds. Have an H&R 9 shot wheel gun that is probably 40 yrs old and still going strong and accurate.
  18. Yoldering

Yoldering Monkey+

19. Yoldering

Yoldering Monkey+

Cabalas also has the Smith & Wesson 22A for $219.99
  20. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Once Sig fixed their magazine issues with the Mosquito, I really began to like it. Full size, but not as heavy as a Ruger, and IMHO more ergonomic and more comfortable to shoot. I also really like the Buckmark. As far as revolvers go, my old Ruger Single Six was hard to beat.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary