243 Winchester in the real world.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Oddcaliber, Jan 24, 2018.

1. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

The Rem 742 auto I started out with was worn after about 2000 rds if I remember right. But the 742 was not known to be a long life gun. I have a ruger 77 now that has more than 2000 rds and still a good gun. The chamber on the 742 was bad about getting moisture in it causing it to hang up. I was shooting a Win 351 auto to start with and letting deer get away. I got mad one day after letting three big bucks run over me, went to town same day and bought the Rem 742 and the rest is history. I would say that the Ruger 77 .243 is one of the best if not the best.

Oddcaliber, Ura-Ki and 3M-TA3 like this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

My Winchester M-70 Custom Shop Bullbarrel has almost 6k down the tube, and is still nice and tight, no throat erosion or any other issues! At one time, this rifle was used every day for bustin sage rats and Dawg towns at very long ranges! Then I switched to 6.5X55 and never looked back!

Oddcaliber and sec_monkey like this.
  3. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

I'd love to have a Manlicher-Schoenauer in 6.5x55. Then again I'd love to have a third of the gold in Ft, Knox - not sure which is more expensive :)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7