270 vs 243

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by clemsonguy81, Jan 3, 2009.

1. clemsonguy81

clemsonguy81 remington 700 cdl 30-06!

im keeping my eye on a dpms panther 308b with a bull barrel. how does that sound?

2. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

I have a DPMS in 223. I'm very happy with it.

3. clemsonguy81

thx ill try to get 1 asap

4. clemsonguy81

well i could get a bolt action 308 and a yugo sks

5. clemsonguy81

can someone plz post a link to a site with an in stock saiga

6. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Use your search engine. "Saiga for sale", for example.

7. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Good Luck. Saigas have went ballistic price-wise.

If I where to try anyone it would be Will at Red Jacket Firearms: http://www.redstick-firearms.com/

Don't under-estimate Savage Bolt action rifles. I have a 110fp in 300WinMag that is sup MOA at 100yrds with handloads and me behind the trigger which isn't great/

8. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

9. clemsonguy81

ive looked on the search engines but theres nm there but anyway does any1 have experiance with a dpms panther long range 308b with a bull barrel. i like those

10. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey++

The Saiga 12 gauge is the hard one to find, they';re going for about $600-$800 if you can find one. The .223 , 762x39 & 20gauge aren't so bad to find, no clue on prices.
    There is a good forum on them if you google it.

I'd recommend a gunshow.

11. clemsonguy81

would the sks be good for buging out because thats really my main objective to get a good gun to bug out with and to have lots of fun on the range with.

12. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey++

The SKS is a rugged gun. IMHO it is one of the tops for survival, due to it's ruggedness and relatively cheap ammo. I'veneverhadanyissueswith mine unlike my space bar. It isfun at the range but not as fun as the S-12.

1 weapon makes not a good bug out. your mouth(talking way out of situations) and brains (avoiding situations) would be best for buggin out. IMO bugging out is all about getting from point A(bad place) to point B(safe place) with as little contact as possible and is a last resort for me.

If you are bugging out you must remember WEIGHT, can you carry it? with everything else?

There are too many VARIABLES in bugging out(SHTF, TEOTWAWKI) to answer that. Is the SKS a good weapon, yes, is it good for bugging out, well it's better than most and better than nothing.

If you bug in a shotgun would be best (imho), maybe even for buggin out if you could only chose one weapon.

Once SHTF or TEOTWAWKI no more 7.62 X 39 unless you've stocked up or find someones stash. 12 guage will be more available, and provide good defense and hunting capability.

On Jan 3rd 2009, this place had 50 Saiga 12 semi auto 12 gauges. Probably sold out by now though.
    Web site address: armsofamerica.com

E-mail address: Sales@Armsofamerica.com

888-729-7815- orders
    FAX 623-298-5062
    general info- 623-444-2573

13. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

I own two of them, but your $750.00 limit definitly puts theses well out of your price range. They are now going for almost twice the price before the election. I currently have been offered over three grand for the stainless barreled model. Don't even ask about the cost of mags for these.

You would be better served to buy an SKS and whatever you have left over, buy all the 7.62x39 ammo that you can. As for the price of this ammo is relatively cheap compared to 308/7.62 Nato ammo. I have recently bought 1000 rounds of Winchester white box 7.62 Nato for a total price of $640.00, which I had back ordered for three months.

Stick with an SKS, a trunkload of 7.62x39 ammo and go to your nearest range and have fun.
    100_0227.JPG

14. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Have you tried modifying M14 mags? We have am AR10 and one of the locals says we can modify an M14 mag by cutting a small notch that will let them function reliably but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

15. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

The new Armalite AR10 are different from the original design. DPMS/KAC stayed with the original design. If you were to look at a M14 mag, it tappers from the back to the front, while the original pattern mags are straight from back to front.

What I was waiting for is for a company called CMMG that has developed an AR10 style lower reciever that accepts HK91/G3 mags, but this has no bolt hold open and is supposed to be released in both DPMS and Armalite patterns. Thing is they keep puttin off the release date[dunno] and they want $449.00 a piece just to pre order them. I'll just stick with what I have, besides, I have enough standard 19rd mags with a legal 4rd hunting mag. Better to spend that kind of money on ammo and needed preps.
    1306-542.

16. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

SILLY RANT DELETED AS TOPIC WAS .243V.270 NOT.270.V.30-06...

17. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I recommend a shovel for the dirty work. It's what I use for my "dirty work", unless of course that said "dirty work" means gutting and skinning a deer, in that case I typically use one of my Buck knifes, or my Benchmade Apparition.

On the subject of .270 vs. .243, I have killed more deer then I can remember with a .270, and I have killed a couple with a .243. From talking with people that had to remove numerous deer from their herds for management purposes and from my own experience in hunting deer, a hit in the vitals with either serves as a quick death. However, you have to track and walk a ways to find the deer shot with the .243. Every deer and every deer my wife has shot with her .243 has run, a good ways. The last doe I hit right behind the shoulder went a good 75 yards. With the .270 if they run they do not run near as far. However, I prefer the .300 Winchester Magnum. 9 times out of 10 they do not run at all, they just die. The exit wound is big enough to stick your fist in, yet the recoil is light. A neck shot will just about decapitate a full grown deer. I could see a man getting off a return shot, and escaping and evading pursuit if shot in the torso with a .243, and possibly getting in a return shot if shot with a .270, but if shot with a .300 Winchester Mag., I find that highly unlikely.

Then again, what do I know? The only "wet work" I do is when a pipe is busted.

18. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Hasn't got a thing to do with the size of your gun, boys. It's all in the knowing how to use it! Budabing!

I really gotta take this act on the road...

[rnt]

Seriously...the interwebs are so full of ridiculous threads that started just like this one. No offense, op, but did you even bother to check around? There are hundreds of forums dedicated to arguing the validity of every opinion ever expressed about each caliber and every gun made for it. The tools over at arfcom start a new thread just like this at least every hour! There is no need to ask it ad infinitum. Read. You'll never run out of material.

Kind of got off on a rant here...sorry about that. Nothing to see here...move along.

Byte

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7