308 Win FMJ or Soft Point?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Silversnake, Apr 19, 2012.

1. wrc223

wrc223 Monkey+

I am using 45.5g of Varget and 165g Sierra Gameking BTSP.

2. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

One of mine is free throated which increases OAL; ammunition loaded for it will not fit a standard length chamber.

With 7.62N military ammunition, although they are interchangeable they are different depending on national origin.

Firearm Technical Trivia, June 2001

The link has information (OAL, bullet weight, powder etc) on 7.62N as manufactured by Austria, Belgium, Canada, Germany, Denmark, Spain, France, Great Britain, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Argentina, Sweden, and the US.
    Also, some nations have a steel jacket (not core) which shatter on impact. See Fackler's comments on East German 7.62N.

3K fps with a 168 in a 308 is comparable to a 300w; so it is a hot load.

Silversnake and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

3000 fps .308 Win load not with a 168 gr bullet

It would be a OMG hot load, however I was talking about a 150 gr. bullet, and it should have been obvious it was a hot load as I indicated the starting of flowing/flattening of primers. It is a hot load, but it works for me.

4. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Rog. I enjoy SCHV and also BCHV. ;)

I develop hot and medium loads for most of my rifles; discovering where accuracy and speed exist can be a challenge.

5. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

? SCHV (small charge high velocity), BCHV (big charge high velocity) ? color me confused.
    In case it hasn't been obvious, I dote on the .308. ..... and Roger is either official as in signatures, or my Dad. I use Tom

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Roger, wilco, over and out?

7. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

rog

8. Gunny Highway

Gunny Highway Hard Work and Sacrifice blessed by God's Grace

Variety is the spice of life...LOL....truly though you need a supply of both. Being prepared is what we do right ?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I'm rolling with Imr 4895,42.6 grains,Hornady 150gr.BTSP.

Silversnake likes this.
  10. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Small Caliber High Velocity and Big Caliber High Velocity; I do my best to celebrate diversity.
    ;)

I apologize for taking so long to clarify; my mother fell and fractured C1 and C2 so I've been on the road every weekend. A 4-5 one way drive.

I do enjoy the 308 also; however, I don't fancy any one caliber.

11. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

My tribe has tried to standardize as much as possible. All have 22 rifles, mostly 10-22's, and some have 22 pistols as well. All have shotguns, 12's and 20's, mostly rem 870 or mossbergs. 3 centerfire rifle cartridges cover 90 percent of usage .223, .308, and 7.62x39. centerfire pistols are 9mm, 45acp, and 38/357. It really is hard to standardize, but it makes the most sense for a possible shtf scenerio. Oh, and many of us dabble in shooting muzzleloaders and crossbows and other bows. We reload and cast bullets. Man that is enough variety for most of us.;)

12. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

Same here, except no .45 ACP and no 7.62x39. Considering a 338-06 or 35 whelen for anything larger than deer during civilized times.

13. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

22s are fun; probably the best bang for the $$ in a firearm and ammunition. In a survival situation only a precision air rifle comes comes close.

To me, being diverse lets me take advantage of the least expensive ammunition of the moment. In adverse conditions and if properly applied; firepower is difficult to beat.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7