.375 H&H Magnum

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Seacowboys, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Got a new rifle today from a friend just returning from Africa. He was a professional game guide. It is a .375 H&H Magnum, Sako AV with a 1.5 to 6 Karl Kahles scope.
    It has some custom gun smith work done on the rifle. The end of the barrel is threaded
    and it comes with a removable muzzle break. When Target shooting and sighting in the rifle
    You can screw on the break, but when hunting, take it off and screw on a thread cap.
    Sako.

2. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

All I can say is... ouch!!

Looks like a great rifle with great optics.

3. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Very Nice
    We need to get together and have a 375 H&H shoot!
    I love my 375, can you say bear hunt?[beer]

4. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

That'll do it. Early reports from the post wildlife biology-guy says they are going to have a spring bear hunt here. I just got back my deer tag for a NOV hunt. If I don't bag a deer in the first bit of that hunt, I will travel a bit higher in hopes of finding a hider. It will also give me a chance to look for bear sign.

I don't think I need a 375 for the bears here, though ;)

5. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

All I can say is: OUCH!
    Not sure about the recoil, but I had a chance to shoot a .458 ONCE, that was more than I wanted!
    The pain, the pain, the beautiful pain!

6. Tool User

Tool User Monkey+

That cartridge stings you in the shoulder and the butt.
    Nobody ask how much ammo costs. I hope you reload to take some of the sting our of your backside (wallet)!

7. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Commercial ammunition is about $4-5 per round; haven't costed the components yet for loading but those bullets and cases can't be cheap.

8. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

I have had and hunted with a .375H&H since I was about 15.... great round that can do most tasks well if not ideally.

Mine is a Win 70 and wear a Leupold 1.5-5

Andy

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7