1. We are sorrowed to report that one of the Founding Members has passed on. Dee (Righthand) is well remembered as contributing much to the operation of SurvivalMonkey, and is already greatly missed. Little lady, big person.

.375 H&H Magnum

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Seacowboys, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Got a new rifle today from a friend just returning from Africa. He was a professional game guide. It is a .375 H&H Magnum, Sako AV with a 1.5 to 6 Karl Kahles scope.
    It has some custom gun smith work done on the rifle. The end of the barrel is threaded
    and it comes with a removable muzzle break. When Target shooting and sighting in the rifle
    You can screw on the break, but when hunting, take it off and screw on a thread cap.
    Sako.

2. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

All I can say is... ouch!!

Looks like a great rifle with great optics.

3. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Very Nice
    We need to get together and have a 375 H&H shoot!
    I love my 375, can you say bear hunt?[beer]

4. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

That'll do it. Early reports from the post wildlife biology-guy says they are going to have a spring bear hunt here. I just got back my deer tag for a NOV hunt. If I don't bag a deer in the first bit of that hunt, I will travel a bit higher in hopes of finding a hider. It will also give me a chance to look for bear sign.

I don't think I need a 375 for the bears here, though ;)

5. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

All I can say is: OUCH!
    Not sure about the recoil, but I had a chance to shoot a .458 ONCE, that was more than I wanted!
    The pain, the pain, the beautiful pain!

6. Tool User

Tool User Monkey+

That cartridge stings you in the shoulder and the butt.
    Nobody ask how much ammo costs. I hope you reload to take some of the sting our of your backside (wallet)!

7. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Commercial ammunition is about $4-5 per round; haven't costed the components yet for loading but those bullets and cases can't be cheap.

8. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

I have had and hunted with a .375H&H since I was about 15.... great round that can do most tasks well if not ideally.

Mine is a Win 70 and wear a Leupold 1.5-5

Andy

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7