4-Bore

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Seacowboys, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Percussion

2. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Very cool find. I can't wait to see it all cleaned up.

3. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Finally got a reply back from a friend on the Arabic script. Here is his response.

Hello
    We are very well elhamdo llah, and very nice for find you in my email. I' am sorry for late because only read your email today I am working as a commercial manager asst. in Egypt. The first word is "allah" and the last two word it is personal name “abd alsayed" the middle word is not write clear enough I can’t know what's mean. Please keep in touch. Mohamed

So if the last writing is the owners name and the first word is Allah then the middle must be something like "The merciful" or something like that. Close as I could get for you.

4. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Any updates on this project?

5. Seacowboys

I have to acquire a lock and then reverse engineer it to scale. I have a query to Dixie Gun Works and hope to hear something soon.

6. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Honestly, I'd fire the 40mm all day, any day...
    That "monster" is gonna have a kick outta this world!
    Is it possible to fabricate sabot's for it?
    Take away some of the sting!
    In comparison to shotgun gauges, is it close to an 8?

7. Mountainman

Thanks for the update and let us all know when you get ready to fire it.

8. hog

hog Drinking Mampoer.

must have belonged to Alan Quartermain.
    YouTube - I sure get a "KICK" out of shooting this lil 4 Bore!
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AHfzdQ8HWoI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AHfzdQ8HWoI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

YouTube- W.W. Greener 4 Bore Double Rifle In Zimbabwe
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PCsVHcJTcEw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PCsVHcJTcEw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

9. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Sea, don't be trying to shoot down any copters with that thing, not because it wouldn't do it, but because Sniper66 might be in it.

10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

And he might shoot back. [loco] (I don't think he's driving slicks these days.)

11. Kimberluvr

Kimberluvr Monkey+

can't wait to see it finished!

12. hickman

hickman Monkey+

at the risk of necro-posting, what is happening with this project? Curious minds want to know...

13. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Translation done and dusted....sort of.

The translation was alarmingly simple....."Firing this weapon in the name of Allah the Merciful will send you to your 70 virgins PDQ!" : O

14. Mountainman

Hey Sea, I was thinking about you today, no not that, and was interested if you finished this project and had a chance to shoot it?

15. Seacowboys

I am still looking for a suitable lock for the 4-bore. There is a dealer at the Wannamacher Gun Show in Tulsa that is supposed to bring me an assortment that might do the trick next Spring.

16. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

See the making's of a true project gun right down to the duct tape residue. Nice find, hey VisuTrac maybe Seacowboys would sell it you have found your father-in-law a gun.

Mountainman and Sapper John like this.
  17. GrandpaDave

GrandpaDave Monkey++

Okay here's something that might help ya

from Wiki
    Now a warning...
    Back in the day a lot of rifles were made using Damascus Steel...
    do you see any swirls on the steel... if so you have a Damascus Barrel add too much powder and it will blow up in your face...

18. Seacowboys

Thanks Dave, that is some very useful information. I actually have one rifle larger than the 4-bore (M79 Grenade Launcher) and am seriously trying to buy a pack howitzer. the Lock is my biggest issue, I can change the hammer angle, if needed and will probably end up cutting new side plates and just using an old Springfield lock, if I can figure how to extend the trigger for that monster stock without increasing leverage to the point that the pull is feather-lite. I may well end up having to build a new lock from scratch.

19. GrandpaDave

GrandpaDave Monkey++

20. Seacowboys

Dixie was the first place I looked; I am a Tennessee boy originally and Union City was just down the road. Didn't have much luck there for a fitting but they do have some locks that I might be able to replace the side plates on if I can figure out the trigger issues.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7