4 Cartridges We Can't Live Without

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Quigley_Sharps, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Lit 1911

Lit 1911 Monkey+

I must disagree with some things said here.Unless you plan on hunting whales,anything can be taken with the .308 Winchester my AR10 fires.Believe me,it can be.Even a buffalo could be killed with an eye shot from a .22.

On a friendlier note,i must say that 12 gauge is a must have.You can take pretty much anything practically with it.

2. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

are you suprised that monkeys arnt that smart lol,.........Monkey's are best known for getting into mischeif and flinging Poo. Be not suprised my brother, nor be not perplxed most of us walked into that..........yes,,,,,but is there another group of guys you would rather have to get your back in times of trouble?

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Seals. But who could afford to feed them? 6000 calories a day ---

4. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

May as well throw in my 4 and/ors
    .22 LR - about anything small
    .308 just about anything else big
    12 ga shotgun - all the above plus what might be flying or otherwise moving. Also, legal deer long gun for my state.
    .380/9mm/40S&W/.45ACP whatever I can get away with carrying concealed with some comfort. That was the and or part. The 9mm or 40 are really the same size and slightly smaller than the 1911, but here in my area the .380 is so handy, it is the one that won't get noticed, but will get carried. An alternate would be a j-frame .38.

5. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

6. Airborne Monkey

Airborne Monkey Gorilla Survivalpithecus

308/7.62 x 51 ... for the long range sticks.
    44 Mag for the levergun/wheelgun combo.
    9mm for the all around high cap semi auto.
    .223/5.56 x 45 for the CQB and otherwise all around mag fed semi auto carbine.

With those four you could survive just about anything forever, provided you are able to roll yer own.

7. testhop

testhop Monkey+

the 22 for sure
    45 auto as a 9mm MAY EXPAND but a 45 never srinks.
    now comes the hard part chousing one of these a 223 270 7mm-08 3006
    and a 12 ga mag
    i think it would be 223 270 but it would be hard

8. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

4 (y)

9. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

A 4 bore!!! Hell yea, that would take care of anything out there, LOL. I know what you mean.

10. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

.22lr
    .38/.357
    7.62x54r
    12 ga.

11. gejoat

gejoat Monkey+

I have to agree with Mountainman

12. hank2222

hank2222 Monkey+++

to me the 177 caliber pellet is a caliber that i'm stocking up as it is design for a low recoil trainer weapon system in the design of a air rifle or pistol as a indoor pratice system for a socalled person who is in our lifestyle along with the space of a brick of 22.lr i can put away 8 tins of 177.caliber pellets for rifle pratice and pest control as it need ..

13. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

100+ ground squirrels killed each year can tell you about the lethality of a 177 pellet rifle. Can also be used for quail, grouse and turkey (head shots) if needed around here.

14. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

We used to shoot Pheasants with a pellet rifle.
    (and then we got caught!)
    Wanna bet the fish and game guy ate our birds?

15. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

.22 (for food)
    .223/5.56 (availability, commonality)
    .308/7.62 (availability, commonality)
    .45 / .40 / 9mm (I choose .45, the rest are just as common)
    12 ga

Some others that are highly common:
    .44 Rem Mag
    .357 Mag / .38 SPL
    30-30
    .177 and .22 cal pellets

This is JMHO. Of course, this discussion will have about as many opinions as posters.

16. Lit 1911

Lit 1911 Monkey+

Oh yes,air pellet rifles are wonderful.Ive got a couple,one with a scope.

17. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

This post can also be linked to what one gun would you take and what is the best all around threads. Hundreds of different rounds and calibers. I have always held to the fact that where you are located on the planet at the time of need determines (WHAT) you need. For instance none of those 4 Quigley listed would be a good choice if you lived on the 60th floor of a high rise apartment building and had to fight your way to the bottom. However living in Alaska or the great northwest territories his choices are almost perfect. I built my collection of firearms for completely practicle purposes. Hunting and defense. I live in Michigan's Lower peninsula and do not have many if any Animals over 200 pounds to worry about. Of his 4 listed the only one I could not live without is the .22. Medium size deer drop like sacks of dirt with one well placed head shot from a .22. Violators have using .22 caliber rifles here for decades. close range head shots are easy to make with a .22 and the range of ammunition available makes them the most versatile rifle in existence. How ever even knowing this I am not willing to bet the farm on a couple of .22 rifles and thousands of rounds. I have enough .22 rounds to last three life times. So I agree with the .22 as in my area I dont need anything bigger to harvest game.

22/250 I dont own one and really in my area where shots on deer are never more than 100 yards I really dont have any use for the small caliber long range rifle. I just sold my AR-15 for this reason. It is of no use to me at all even for defense.

.308/ 30-06 . I have three 30-06 rifles and value all of them so much I am getting a Garrand M-1 as soon as I can afford one. As a deer and or Man stopper they are excellent choices and all the power in a rifle cartridge that I will need for big game and defense. Where I live there is nothing including Elk and small bears that I can not kill with a 30-06. I know, the AR-15 guys will disagree with me on my choice of the Garrand over the AR-15 . I trust that round to stop an adversary. So yes 308/30-06? cant live without it.

338/375, 300 winmag and bigger? No need for one of those here as the game size does not warrant it. Great choice for Alaskan bears, Moose, African game etc. Not here in Michigan.

My 4th choice is a home defense short barreled Shotgun. I cant live without my 870 next to my bed.

Guns owned by us.

.22 caliber: Ruger 10-22 , Remington nylon model 66, Marlin 981T .
    30-06 CAL.:Remington 740, two Remington 7400
    .32 special: Winchester model 94

SHOTGUNS

.410 gauge New England Arms single shot
    .28 Gauge Remington 1148 Bird gun
    .20 Gauge Savage single, Ithaca single and Remington 870 express

HAND GUNS

9 MM Ruger P-89

Wish List includes a .44 handgun or maybe a .40 or .45 caliber for me.
    A30-06 Garrand and one good 12 gauge semiauto Shotgun.

I feel I have all the bases covered here in Michigan and when I get the last three items Ill be done buying guns. I might trade the .32 Winchester a used .44 Red hawk. I have a friend who will swap me if I want. I really dont use the Winchester. I also can trade it in on another P-89 and that way both my Wife and I can use the same ammo for our hand guns. Anyway these types of threads always get me thinking about all the variables regarding my choices. Cost per round versus power versus weight etc etc. The .22 and 30-06 are my two go to guns. I have more ammo for those then any of the others. Kingfish

18. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Some great discussions and I have to agree area of operation is the biggest factor.
    One thing I didn’t indicate was this isn’t for SHTF this was by design to be a question if you awoke tomorrow what 4 cartridges couldn’t you live without as if they were never invented and marketed.
    If I was going for SHTF then my list would change on a couple choices.

19. Cephus

Cephus Monkey+++ Founding Member

12 ga.

20. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

12ga
    I have five. that's all I have.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7