41 Magnum the Lonely Cartridge

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by OldDude49, Mar 15, 2016.

1. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

2. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

I saw they listed a ".41 Special" and then noted it was not a commercial cartridge, but brass was available for it. The "41 Special" has been around since about 4 minutes after .41 Mag brass came out, as either light loads or cut down brass.

3. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Considering that the .44 mag is .125 inches larger in bullet diameter, I occasionally wonder how it even even got made.

4. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Did you know dirty Harry carried a 41 mag and not the 44.

5. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

NRA Museums:
    Sorry, but I believe that is a myth. Here is the actual gun, one of three for the movies.
    It is still legible on the barrel 44Mag.
    Model 29

6. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

I stand corrected.

chelloveck and kellory like this.
  7. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I can say that Sinatra passed on the role when he found out that he would have to shoot such an uncivilized gun. He wanted either a .32 S&W long or a .38 spcl.

chelloveck likes this.
  8. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I've been taken in by a few myths too.;)

chelloveck likes this.
  9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

S & W Model 29 w 6" Barrel... And S&W Wood Grips....

10. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I dare say that there are more myths taken than myths mistaken....sometimes myths are more appealing than facts. ;)

11. chelloveck

It's an interesting article, and, if I lived in a place that weren't quite as restrictive than I presently do, and I had squizillions of $$$ to spend on every passing cartridge calibre fancy that turned my head...then I'd probably buy one of them....however, I think that I'd have to go for the .357 magnum, even though its ballistics are somewhat inferior than the .41special. Where I am, .38 special/.357 magnum are more commonly found wheel gun and carbine calibres...(although most police departments, military etc are more up-gunned than .357 magnum, .38 special/.357 magnum are still fairly common calibres for armed security guards.)

A flatter shooting cartridge would make longer distance accuracy more appealing, but in a world of trade offs and compromises, flexibility and cost/availability of ammo are also important considerations for someone on a tight budget. Everyone's MMV

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  12. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

"The Model 29 was offered with 3", 4", 5", 6", 6½", 8⅜" and, later, 10⅝" barrel lengths as standard models. I've never seen a 10 5/8""
    I have the 8-3/8". That being said my Ruger .41 will out shoot the M29 or the Ruger .44. It has better ballistics majik ju-ju. As I shoot a TC in rifle calibers, I'm not particularly recoil sensitive.

@chelloveck
    The .357 is better than the .41 Special; however, the .41 Mag is flatter than the .41 special, it has it.
    I didn't know in the land of Oz you were allowed to own such things??

Altoidfishfins likes this.
  13. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I carry a full sized .357's and .45LC on a regular basis, and I find that a lot is just finding what you are comfortable carrying, and can hit with. Any cartridge mentioned on this thread will blow a gd hole in something, and get the job DONE if you are capable of a modicum of accuracy.

I sure wish they made more options than the Classic in 6" for the S&W 25...we need me LC in service.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2016
  14. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@AxesAreBetter
    A 45LC is a great round; especially in a modern revolver which can be loaded a lot hotter than the old ones.

However, I'll stick with the .44. 41 or .357.

15. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Levergun combo. .45 colt is a fine mix of stopping power and noise level.

A bit back on topic, I have looked at a .41 before. Nice looking round. How does it compare to 10mm?

16. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@AxesAreBetter
    The 45LC is a fine round; although too slow to be in the force equalizer. In all fairness, with a little practice, anyone can execute a fast mag change with a 5,56, 6,8 or 7,62N as compared to sticking rounds in a lever gun.

Can't fairly compare a 6 shot revolver to a pistol with 2 or a lot more rounds. Basically surrounded by angry zombies the additional rounds and quick reload are the winner. Then again, other than zombies, the .41 mag is the bigger hammer.

17. chelloveck

Of course citizens of Australia can own hand guns. Though some calibres are restricted to those who possess the appropriate permit. Target shooting with pistols, though not as popular a sport as archery, or synchronised swimming, still has a dedicated following.

How many guns are registered in your postcode?

18. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I got started in all of this "prepping" long before I ever heard the word (thanks Doomsday Preppers), on a zombie forum. Back in those days, my go to for zombie survival was a brace of sixguns (Schofield and SAA) and a .45LC levergun. Never in my life felt underarmed with them...but I have also always paired them with fighting steel, for when that "New York" reload runs out. Haha. I'd rather take on zeds with a hand weapon than waste bullets on them.

Sometimes it IS the strategy and the tactics that count, not the equipment.

P.S. I LOVE talking about Zombies. Haha.

I actually have next to no love for an autoloading firearm. I make a few exceptions for tools that perform to par.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2016
  19. chelloveck

Auto loading firearms have their place in the scheme of things....just don't think that a prepper can do an Audie Murphy with them...in a SHTF scenario, the supply chain will be long and tenuous, and undisciplined blatting may see you embarrassed at the worst possible moments.

I'm all for an auto loader as a main weapon and a wheel gun as a backup weapon.

ghrit likes this.
  20. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Register air guns?

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7