41 Magnum the Lonely Cartridge

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by OldDude49, Mar 15, 2016.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Air guns are registered in some States....there are moves by game and sporting shooter lobbyists to get that and other requirements altered.

2. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@chelloveck
    In many nations in Europe, by law, air guns have less power than in the US. In Germany, they are limited to 7.5 joule, England they are limited to less than 16.2 joule. As there aren't any Australians at the air rifle forums, what about Australia?

I did read Airsofts are illegal, is that true?

3. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

I heard in pulp fiction they actually used this gun. Most people think they used bananas...
    [​IMG]

4. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Krieg Hündchen

Being a dedicated member of the .41 mag cult I will chime in.

First, it is a round you will have to load for if you plan to do any amount of real shooting without going bankrupt.

Second, you MUST wear hearing protection with it. It is loud as hell.

Third, what ever you shoot with it WILL go down. Pepper- poppers? You can hit them on the bottom and they will fly over like section eight on welfare day going to Walmart. Critters? It will soak up all nine lives of any feral cat with the pull of one trigger. With full powern rounds it will shake the heck out of a gong.

Fourth, recoil requires good rubber grips to keep it pleasant. With low power rounds it is like a .357 mag. With full power rounds its is between the .357 mag and the .44 mag.

Fifth, flat shooting.... I make consistent head shots at 100 yards on my gong. To the point of it getting boring.

The Smith and Wesson Model 57 is the best one out there in my opinion.

A few years ago we had a rabitt problem. HAD. They were eating our garden and fruit tree saplings. It was around 2 AM when I got home from work and saw them doing their dirty deeds and opened up on them. Hit, hit....missed one on the run....by about an inch...the round that missed knocked him out from the concussion; it got up and ran darn near into my foot confused.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
    Ganado and BTPost like this.
  5. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

IMO, the .41 magnums biggest problem was a certain Clint Eastwood movie. ;)

Ganado likes this.
  6. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Krieg Hündchen

No, it was the wonder-nine that did it in.

7. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

Weeeellllll............ I guess I would allow you guys to buy me one............ :D:D:D:ROFLMAO:

8. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

As I have one; it is still alive and well here. A 357, 41, and 44 are better hunters etc. than a double stack 9. No matter if it is today or yesteryear, the economics hurt all the big bores.

9. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

If I could go back in time and get one for what I paid? If you help me carry back some of Ye Olde hunter's goodies, sure.

For the confused young'uns
    ye olde hunter alexandria va - Google Search

Then click images..

chelloveck likes this.
  10. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

OK that's it!

OFFICALLY POUTING NOW! :D:D:D

Ganado and chelloveck like this.
  11. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

1. I don't know whether there are any "power" regulatory restrictions on airguns...just that in some/most/all jurisdictions they require a license to possess.

However, professor Wikipedia seems to have the answers you require, but with a few keystrokes of effort. ;)
    2. See reply above

fire / pneumatic arms ownership and regulation seems to be a little off topic....perhaps it's a subject that could be pursued elsewhere?

Good thing you didn't shoot your foot through the stunned rabbit....that would be a little hard to explain to the ER team....you wouldn't want them laughing hysterically while they were patching you up....;)

thanks for sharing with us. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2016
  12. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Hm. 41 mag. Lonely? Maybe my 357 can keep it company --. Might have to invite one over for a long visit. Some time ago (as in years) I thought about a 41. Dunno why I discarded the idea, might have been after I had a chance to give my wrist an awful jolt with a friend's 44 mag. Now, I'm wondering if I could tame the flinch.

chelloveck and oldawg like this.
  13. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@chelloveck
    Wikipedia as compared to someone who actually lives there, really?
    It was just a curiosity as you seem to be offended; I won't bother you in the future for any information.

@ghrit
    Potentially, the .41 is most accurate; its weakness is the cost of ammo. Between .52 to .80 cents per round. At .40 to .54 cents, the .44 is less expensive. On the fun to shoot scale the .41 is higher than the .44. It has nothing to with recoil and everything to do with group size. The 41 and 357 are my personal favorites.

Before I read are you recoil sensitive; I shoot a TC in rifle calibers.

Tackleberry likes this.
  14. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

My bid goes for the 10mm Mag in a Glock 20 w OEM Comp Barrel with a chest rig aka Alaskan Rig.

Paired up with a Ruger in 10mm mag/38.40 dual cylinder Blackhawk.

15. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Although they are an excellent firearm, I'm not a Glock fan. They don't point well for me; probably the barrel axis to trigger relationship or the grip angle to barrel axis.
    1911-A1s, Browning HP and S&W M59 point better for me. The trigger isn't for me either. To each their own with triggers; however, pointing is important. Think of me as a Quigley; I prefer a rifle and I'm not much for pistols or revolvers. However, that doesn't mean I can't use one.

I believe the .41's 230 has the 10's 220 by a couple of 100 FPS. Not into the .38-40 so I don't know much about it.
    Same as all old BP cartridges, .38-40 was originally .38 caliber 40grs of pistol BP. To this day. it sounds odd to me reading .38-40, .45-70 knowing smokeless is being used. ;)

The last pistol I bought was when the German police P1s were on the market in ~2006. All my Rugers are pre-transfer bar models.

16. HK_User

The Glock 20 is a bit different, fits my hand and due to the barrel length it has a good balance.

Ruger in 44 special, pre-transfer and 3 screw flat top.

17. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@HK_User
    It looks the same as other Glocks, so what is the difference?

In the late 1990s, I did shoot a 21 with an aftermarket trigger at a shoot. The aftermarket trigger did cure the rubber eraser feel; however, it did point the same as other Glocks. IMHO, if a pistol doesn't point well for me without using the sights; I'm not interested.

My Ruger serials SS convertible 177*** or 1961 and the .357 is 30-00***. The others are in the safe and because they are old, all are 3 screw.

18. HK_User

It is the only full size I have so I cannot say for sure. Mine is the first model, not that that should make a difference. I rescued it from that 10 Round Max Mag hell of a place, Maryland.

19. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

A lot of people love a Glock and I'm not one of them.

Western Maryland was my home place and it has headed down hill since I left in1990. Firearms I purchased in Maryland are now illegal there.
    I grew up in rural Maryland in the mountains between Hagerstown and Frederick near Camp David. Today, you could not drag me back there.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7