.45 auto: PMC Ammo

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Brokor, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

[​IMG]
    Worst ammo I have ever used. "Precision Made Cardridges"...MY A**!

There are different grades of ammo that PMC sells, and I really don't know which kind my local gun range uses now, but they switched to PMC. My handgun has never jammed ONCE since I got it, and I have pumped at least 800 rounds through her so far. As soon as I used the PMC ammo, however -JAM!

So I switched to Remington quickly (they won't let you use your own ammo at the range, so you have to buy theirs) -and they didn't notice the full clip that went off without a single problem. As soon as I reloaded with the PMC ammo though, it jammed again. I know that if you keep rounds in your clip and do not rotate every so often, they tend to malfunction. I also know that if the weapon is not cleaned properly, that has a tendency to make it malfunction as well. I am well trained, and I am ex-military...there is no way my gun misfired and jammed because of those reasons. It was because of the ammo.

I will not use PMC ammo even if my life depends on it...and most likely, at some point...it will.

*I was firing my Taurus PT 24/7 .45 Auto, using 230 gr. FMJ/MC*

2. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

Classify your failures-FTF, FTE, what did it do or not do.

3. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

[ditto]

4. Brokor

The ammo looked shiny and new. That's all it did, really.

The ammo misfired, jammed, and got stuck inside my damned chamber also.

5. Quigley_Sharps

wow that is bad,
    I wonder if it is that way with others?
    Is the range reloading the ammo and trying to resell it? Saw that once at a indoor range, the case's looked like hour glass shape.
    FTF and FTE one after another.
    FTF on factory ammo is really uncommon,But it can happen,
    I would take a real close look at the loads and maybe pull some, I bet they have reloaded them.

6. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I never had problems with the PMC .223 Never tried the HG ammo

7. ghostrider

1. Did you try to refire any of the misfires.

2. Was the primer strike deep and round like other brass, or were the misfires not even hit. The reason I ask that, quig may have hit on the answer, the ammo is a bit large, your chamber is minimum spec, or both. If you had no primer strike, your gun's disconnector did its job. This is actually what blows up Glocks, they will fire not fully in battery. Normally a naked eye inspection will reveal an extractor mark around the rim, if it is reloaded.

To determine if the ammo is out of spec, or your chamber is minimum dimension, or less, take the barrel out, and try to drop the ammo in the chamber. It should drop in freely, flush with the barrel extension.

3. Compare the length and bullet ogive of the PMC to what you had been using. Your ammo may be hitting the feed ramp earlier, later, or at different points than what you had been using. A wider nose round like a hollow point or SWC hits a round nose feed ramp earlier in the feed cycle, and at two points.

4. Look at other fired, extracted brass, preferably under magnification. If you have rough marks, or what looks like scratches, you may have a rough chamber that needs polishing.

Let us know what you find.

8. Quigley_Sharps

Yeah Ghost exactly. Sure could be a few things.

9. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

When I got my first AR, I fired PMC ammo in it when it was known as Pan Metal Corporation. Stuff was excellent, don't know what happened.

10. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I would agree that it sounds odd and might be worth looking into if they are reloading it or something since as stated above factory failures to fire is super rare and beyond that, while it has benn about 5 years ago, I used to shoot a lot of PMC ammo in my .45 and .380 and never had problems with it (other than the juams I got with all ammo due to cheap guns) so would have to wonder if they reloaded them poorly or else got some ammo that maybe got screwed up in a flood or something and was just cleaned up.

11. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

The only PMC I remember shooting was through my .270, and I found it highly accurate.

12. melbo

Always got to get a jab in
    How's 6 this time GR?
    [troll] [troll] [troll]
    [troll] [troll] [troll]

I think Bush blows up Glocks :D

13. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I have had good luck with American Eagle by Federal for plinking in my Champ.

14. ghostrider

New record. b::

15. melbo

Tis nothing GR.... I once got 11 trolls after a post I made on

I made the mistake of arguing with an idiot :D

16. Brokor

Good stuff, guys. Ghost, I checked the ammo and compared it with other rounds, both before firing and after. No difference to the eye. I did not inspect them by magnify, however, as I didn't see the real necessity to do so. I did inspect the fired casings and they do have scratches, but that is from ejection and all my rounds have that. I also attempted to fire the rounds that misfired, after inspecting them and found that they did have deep strikes and still misfired. All rounds that misfired did go off the second time.

My gun is practically brand new, well managed, and not faulty in any way. I can fire endless rounds (actually I fired 300 at one time once without a single problem) and not have a jam with Remington or Winchester. Believe me when I tell you that my gun is not some cheap item. It is extremely high quality and quite accurate. The PT 24/7 is a fantastic semi auto hand gun.

I do suspect that the gun range was reloading them. I will not revisit them.

I have fired different PMC ammo in the past with no problems. This was the first time I fired it in the .45 230 gr. bullet.

17. Quigley_Sharps

That’s what I'm guessing too,
    Only because I've been there before myself at a range who did the very thing,
    Now how much did they charge for them and did they reveal that they were reloads or are they selling them as factory? Some fine print somewhere?
    I say this because PMC just might like to know that 100's of people are getting turned off to their ammo over this on a daily basis? Hint Hint Hint

18. ghostrider

[own2]
    If they were reloads, and a few of the primers weren't fully seated, then the first strike would fully seat the primer, and the second would fire the round.

19. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Yup, just might even send you a case or so of their real ammo or at least a few boxes to try and give a truer showing of how they normaly shoot. ;) The other thing that kind of came to my mind was to wonder if they might have gotten a big shipment of real cheap ammo that might have come out of some warehouse in NO over the summer or some such stuff, but the reloading thing would seem most likely especialy since they fired the second time through.

20. Brokor

The owner of the shop is a conceited nerd. I really doubt he would share his idiocy with me, if in fact he has reloaded the shells.

It's a good idea to write to PMC. I think you guys are right, I just got a bad batch, reloaded or not -or their .45 ammo is faulty. It's possible, but the latter is a bit unlikely.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7