.45 Long Colt?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by hot diggity, Apr 23, 2023.

1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Ever wonder why it's called .45 Long Colt? Was there a short .45 Colt?

Yup.

IMG_20230423_121112. IMG_20230423_121626.

2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

And we are brining it back.
    The case capacity of the 45colt is completely unnecessary when using modern smokeless powder to reach normal 45cult pressure.

3. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

From my reading for decades, it is properly "Fortyfive Colt", never "Long Colt". But people commonly use that incorrect form.

Ura-Ki, secondrecon and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

True .45 Colt is a breath taking cartridge for RIFLES, sadly, only Ruger and a hand full of others offered anything seriously strong enough to handle true Full Zoot .45 Colt! I have both a Ruger Blackhawk and a Metaba Untica 6 which are strong enough to take full pressure Colt Rifle spec loads, and both are very impressive to shoot, with the big Fuddy-Five out classing the mighty .44 Rem Magnum by quite a margin!
    I have always wanted a good Mauser based bolt action in .45 Colt, would make a most excellent brush buster carbine for small to medium game at bush buster distances, and would also make for a nifty self defense carbine where the AR might get the wrong sort of attention!

I have always enjoyed the .45 Colt, finding it to be quite handy for many tasks that were ether WAY over blown by the .45/70 or any of the serious bottle neck smokeless chamberings, and more then enough for Pistol needs where one requires more then the "Standards" like .357 and .44 Magnums!

Gator 45/70 and Gray Wolf like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

People had to come up with the "Long Colt" to help non gun people in finding the correct ammo at the gun shops, with the .45 ACP and other .45's out there, it could be confusing and cause problems if the wrong ammo ended up in the wrong chamber/cylinder!
    I have ALWAYS called it out as .45 Colt, and the .45 ACP ( Auto Colt, Pistol) and any of the others by their actual designation, such as .455 Webly, or .45 Holland & Holland. Seems the industry didn't stop at just the .45, having the .32 Colt and others having similar issues, though Smith &Wesson did name theirs properly, and later Ruger followed with it's own!

6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Don't forget, we also have .454 Casull, which blows everything else out of the water, and makes for an epic hand canon, which shows we have both directions, though one has to wonder why not stick with .45 ACP on the lower end, we know it can be pushed hard for serious pistol use, or Carbine performance!

7. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Also, don't forget you can more easily blow up an old revolver with UNDER-loading or SLOW-burning it. In the 70s when clean paper punching was king, lots of folks under charged wadcutter bullets to make clean paper holes. The delay in crossing the cylinder gap built inordinate pressures in cylinders causing catastrophic blow outs.

Most of the really old guns are made (to some extent) to be handloaded by amateurs in the old West days. Too much powder equaled a bigger fireball and not much difference.

Of course, if you fill a cartridge with Unique you might be building a hand grenade.

8. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

That's why I like cap&ball revolvers. You really can't "overload" them. Pack as much powder as it'll hold under a ball, You just get a bigger flash and muzzle jump. Been there done that. In my "young&stupid" daze.

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

This is true of most BP FireArms… It is almost impossible to overload a BP FireArm… Due to the way BP burns, if you load more BP than can burn before the Projectile is pushed out the muzzle, all that can happen is the excess BP is burnt, in a larger muzzle flash, or left unburnt on the ground in front of the muzzle…
    This is NOT TRUE when loading ANY Type of Smokeless Powder… It is all about the Rate of Combustion vs Pressure of Combustion…

10. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

Have noticed buying .45 colt is kinda difficult... not a lot around it seems and some of it is over the top expense wise... especially in bulk quantities...

anyone got any info on where you can get some???

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Learn to make your own… Saves up to 50% or better… and if your QC is rigorous, shoots tighter groups…

Gator 45/70, Seawolf1090 and VisuTrac like this.
  12. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The 45cult makes their own, all they need is brass, primers and one of many faster powders and blackpowder is fine,

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

don't have the brass at this point that's why I want to purchase more...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

It's buyer beware on the internet as well as real life. You see someone has what you are looking for, you research the company and see if there are any reviews on other forums. There are some really bad car dealerships, and there are some really good ones as well. Gotta do your research.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

It's not even quality control. Just find a powder and load your gun likes.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7