5,56 NATO RANGE?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Big Ron, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

What do you think the maximum range of this round against two-legged vermin is? using an AR-15 and compared to a Bolt action rifle in 5.56.

2. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Depends on bullet weight, but I'd say maybe 200 - 300 yds?
    Ive heard claims of 600m. I don't believe it.

Can't imagine there'd be any difference between an AR and a bolt gun, since given equal barrel lengths, velocities should be pretty close.

Dunerunner, sec_monkey and 3M-TA3 like this.
  3. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

It's not so much the guns as it is the round itself. The slower it goes the more likely it is to just drill through someone causing a very small wound. I would hazard a guess that 4-500 yards would be about it. Kills at longer range - sure, but probably not as a matter of course, especially for an "average" rifleman. Sights also play into the picture, are you using iron sights, red dot, ACOG or a 6-10X scope?

Dunerunner, sec_monkey and 3M-TA3 like this.
  4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

It depends on the cartridge used (193, 855, etc), barriers, body armor, and the skill of the shooter.

5. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

The military states that the max effective range is 460 meters. A range that I completely agree with. Anything farther out, the chances of complete misses are darn near pushing 100%.

The wind is going to be your main detriment of pushing the 223/5.56 out past 460 meters.

6. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

500 meters point Target 800 area target

techsar, sec_monkey and tacmotusn like this.
  7. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

7.62 x 51 mm, it's the only answer

3M-TA3, Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  8. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

[ditto] what @Altoidfishfins said

7.62x51 @600 - 1,200 yards

.338 Lapua Mag fer special applications

Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  9. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

500 meters isn't out of the question...
    "point" targets were fun on the range...we'd call where in the ten ring we were going to hit:)@ 500 meters...

sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson Black Powder Monkey

Back when I was in the Army... 300 meters and under was what we qualified at ...
    Now when I used the M21 and M24 Rifles..that was a whole other matter....:D

Nowadays I would say 100 yards or so with irons and 2-300 yards with a scope , decent ammo , a good rifle and practice.
    Andy

Zimmy, apache235, 3M-TA3 and 4 others like this.
  11. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

images (1).
    10 v 500 meters all day long

Dont, Gator 45/70, techsar and 2 others like this.
  12. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Did they tell you to quit showing up to re-qualify after you hit 14th Award Expert?

13. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I shot best at the 500 yd range . Usually at least 9 out of 10.

14. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

Telling my age here. Qualified with a worn out M-16 at Parris Island.
    55 grain 5.56 standard issue. We were required to hit our targets out to 500 meters with iron sights. Qualified expert. Wish I could still shoot that well.

SB21, Dont, Gator 45/70 and 1 other person like this.
  15. hot diggity

I wouldn't take a shot further than I could clearly identify the threat and put well aimed shots on a potentially moving target from my position, while under fire, until the threat is eliminated. In the open with 5.56 that's about 100 meters, max. with iron sights for me.

"Effective" is going to be the key word here. With practice you could make hits on a stationary target out to 500 yards, (the military "Maximum Effective Range") with no wind, favorable light and good contrast between the target and background. 5.56 is effective at creating wounds that will take the fight out of the enemy, and it's light, so you can carry lots of it. You'll need it. Wound a bad guy or two in your AO and what you end up with is a bunch of potentially injured, dying, and angry two-legged vermin who have only one goal in life.... To lay low, learn where you live and burn your house down while you and your family are asleep in it.

Gas losses from the AR15 action will have very little effect on the velocity or effective range of the round. Longer barrel lengths will help a little, but it's still a puny little .22 caliber round.

16. hot diggity

Me too, but I do better at the 200 and 300. ;)

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I experimented extensively, for years with 5.56, 55gr projectiles at 400 to 500 yard velocities, trust me one of those bullets to a limb would suck.
    Center mass, easy deadly.
    Actually hitting the target is most important.

18. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Lol no I only had 8 but really 9 if you count super squad qualification that they would not let us pin

19. hot diggity

Some time during the budget cutting years (1994-5?) they came down with an order that said something about Gunnery Sergeant and above who had more than 14 years of service and had shot expert on the last two consecutive years were no longer required to qualify with the rifle. Closest I ever got to the rifle range after that was the pistol range at Cherry Point. :(

sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson Black Powder Monkey

I agree that the key word here is effective.
    How effective you can shoot at the range under idea conditions , will be vastly different than when in the field hunting or if someone is shooting back at you.

Practice with your rifle ...till your use of it becomes second nature / muscle memory....Practice with your rifle under less than idea conditions , in poor lighting , when you are hot , cold , wet , tired , off the bench , off hand etc...
    Something to remember : What is effective for one person , may not be effective for you , even with the same rifle , ammo or sights.
    Do not judge yourself badly if your effective is different or less than someone else...
    Learn to make what you have and what can do , work for you....Strive to get "better"...this simply takes time and practice

Since the phrase "two-legged vermin" was used in the OP , I take that as to mean , shooting at a another person....
    Having some experience in that , I would suggest , that no matter what rifle , ammo , sights etc ...that you have , you use every possible edge or advantage that you can get.
    The only "winning" in a firefight is surviving ....which may even mean learning the best way to "break contact" or avoid it all together.
    Again learn yourself and your equipment , turn the action to your favor , by movement , cover , concealment etc...
    There is far more to the effective shooting of two legged vermin , than just the rifle and ammo....
    Andy

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    Capt. Tyree, oldman11, Zimmy and 6 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7