5,56 NATO RANGE?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Big Ron, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Learn to shoot through the loop hole and you will always have cover and concelment

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  2. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

Thanks for the replies. I am considering buying a bolt action rifle in 5.56 to back up my AR. but ARs are cheap right now and I get a bad vibe about Democrats and gun laws in the future. I also am considering a hunting rifle and what caliber to get. I don't think of the 5.56 as a hunting rifle except in extreme circumstances. For a hunting rifle, I lean more towards the 6.5cm. Or a .308/7.62. Funny how much more a .308 is when it also can use 7.62. Isn't the .308 the opposite of the .223 in it being able to use 7.62 in a regular .308? look at ads for new rifles and having that hyphen adds a lot to the cost of the rifle. You can see I don't have much experience with this caliber. I am trying for something a bit flatter shooting than my 45/70 and being able to reach out a bit further. Maybe dual use for defense. the 6.5cm sure is the newest hot thing, I read about the military going to it.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I just sold off all my 6.5 Creedmoor brass. Man was happy to hand over a pile of cash. If there are availability issues now, it will be worse in tough times. If I can't find ammo for my rifle on a dusty shelf in a glass case next to the Case XX knife display in a rural hardware store anywhere in America, I might have chosen the wrong caliber.

The .308 Winchester and the 7.62x51 NATO are very close dimensionally. The difference is that the .308 usually has chamber pressure about 8-10,000 PSI higher. If it's chambered for commercial .308 Winchester it'll handle 7.62x51 NATO just fine. When you start reloading you'll find other differences in case wall thickness, capacity, and shoulder dimensions, but as long as you work up loads with the same brass you can just note it in your data book, so any differences seen on the target can be recorded.

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  4. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Mossberg mvp predator take s are mags too.

oldawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

5.56--- Mini 14
    7.62x39---Mini 30
    Rugged tried and true actions,,
    The 30 is stainless steel so it won't wear out the components as fast with the extra load power. Not sure you'll get the range your gettin on your 45/70.

Dunerunner, oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

Nothing like a question on range/caliber to get the opinions flowing. As one monkey stated, the best range for .223/5.56 is one you can consistently hit...that means practice, understanding the environmentals, and your own limitations...i.e. age, eyesight, optics vs bare sights, wind, rain, snow.

Very surprised that nobody has mentioned barrel twist rate, or bullet weight, both of which will impact max effective range.

Some folks will be fine taking the 5.56 out 500 meters, but for the average Joe, 300 meters is more likely.

I like your idea about commonality...less calibers to store, ability to hand off a weapon to someone else with a common ammo. One of the better bolt actions is the Ruger Precision rifle in 5.56/.223. It has a great reputation for accuracy and reliability.

Having said all that to answer your question, if you really are thinking "reach out and touch someone" ranges, there are better platforms and calibers out there than a bolt action .223.

7. D2wing

D2wing Monkey+

I think it depends on what you are shooting, how good you are with it and what you are shooting at. In heavy barrel prairie dog rifles out to 600 yards with .223 40 grain handloads not 5.56 NATO. In a Deer rifle with soft points maybe 300 yards but that is really stretching it in my opinion.. In a combat situation with 55 gr ammo I would take shots at 600 meters. I did actually take shots at that range in Nam but no idea if I hit anything as I was shooting at incoming from a jungle. I was happier using an M-60 (7.62) in those situations by far. BTW, I was not concerned about humane kills at the time like I would be with deer now.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7