5 Trends of Telematics Industry in 2022

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jamez, Dec 1, 2021.

1. jamez

jamez Monkey

Telematics is an innovative field that combines computer science, telecommunication, electrical engineering, and vehicular technology. It is beneficial for various businesses like transportation, logistics, delivery, etc. The modern fleet management systems are also based on the principles of telematics. These monitoring solutions help companies to run their operations with efficiency.

The telematics industry has expanded exponentially over the years. Its global market size is expected to be around 103 billion dollars. With time, there have been many advancements in the telematics industry giving rise to new trends. We will look into the latest ones in detail here.
    1. Data Integration:
      Data is at the core of fleet operations. It is integral for an efficient tracking solution to provide a centralized platform for extracting and sending data.
    2. Focus on Drivers:
      The driver is the captain of the ship during transportation operations. One of the modern telematics trends is to concentrate more on drivers to achieve desired results.
    3. Internet of Things:
      The internet of things is one of the most popular trends in the Vehicle Tracking System industry. With the increasing scope of transportation companies, there is a bigger need for streamlined processing.
    4. Vehicle-to-Infrastructure Technology (V2I):
      Vehicle-to-infrastructure technology is creating a buzz in the transportation sector. It is a communication model that shares data between vehicle and road infrastructure systems.
    5. Remote Accessibility:
      Remote tracking is the new-age requirement of fleet management systems. In fast-paced operations, it is hard for a manager to sit in front of a screen for monitoring. Therefore, a remote platform like a mobile app can be really helpful in this regard. Managers can monitor the working of their fleet from any far-off location.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    Bandit99, VisuTrac and duane like this.
  2. duane

duane Monkey+++

While all of the above is true, my 1941 Ford 9N tractor has a generator, points and plugs, updraft carb, batt, and lights and I have a complete set of spares in a faraday cage. It starts and runs well. My 1999 ford F350 snow plow truck has a draw somewhere that drains the batt in about 10 days. I disconnect the batt after every use. The 2021 Ford pickups have more electronics than I can maintain. Need a late 1960's pickup with a good body.

This old man is caught up in $1600 to replace the exhaust gaskets on a 2010 FF250 as you have to remove the electronics and fuel injection to get to the manifold. Was a $100 on old carb and plugs truck in the 60's and you did it yourself. The new stuff is nice but even before it hits the fan, you can't fix it yourself and sometimes can't even get the parts.

oldawg, jim2, techsar and 1 other person like this.
  3. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Data integration? Haha...you must not work on newer cars with "secure gateway" "features"...

Focus on drivers? Suuuuure. That's why self driving cars are being developed - so there are no drivers.

Get the damned computers out of cars

4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

This is why I run a pair of 1904's Dodge Power Wagon Trucks, both are diesel, both can and will run with zero electronics of any kind, and I never need to work on them other then general maint. Parts are always in stock at my local NAPA store, or a quick drive across town to the local Dodge dealer who still carries NOS and NEW parts for every model Dodge Truck made from 1938 to present!
    We also have a 50 Willis Jeepster, and a 46 Willis CJ2A which do not require any electronics, nor do my heavy diesel trucks or tractors!

Yard Dart likes this.
  5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I find this industry to be fascinating! I was trained in the military first as a Microwave Communications Technician and next as Satellite Tech but did my degree in Computer Science. I have always favored communications over sitting in front of a computer all day but was lucky enough to hit the industry when computers and its chips were being integrated into everything, including communications so I was always a bit ahead of my peers. I see this as being a normal advancement/step for the transport industry, to include aircraft, ships, trucks, you name it. Anyway, this and Robotics fascinates me!

As far as too much computer integration in personal vehicles, I also think it can be a negative. Let's face it, you burn out a chip and your vehicle will not operate - period - and there is very little you can do about it. That's not to say that I enjoy constantly hassling with ignition points. LOL! However, being the owner of an expensive piece of equipment yet completely dependent upon a high-tech industry in order to operate it - well - it tugs at one's common sense. If an EMP goes off - well - everything stops to include civilization, might sound whacko but it's the truth, then all one has is a big lawn ornament.

I thought when I got back stateside I would find an old VW bug or some old truck that would run without electronics but around here are independent and self substaining minded and these types of vechicles are damn hard to find.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. DKR
  3. 3M-TA3
  4. HK_User
  5. 3M-TA3
  6. Ganado
  7. DarkLight
  8. melbo
  9. RightHand
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7