$6,000 reward still up for grabs in case of missing goats

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HK_User, May 7, 2021.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Special Ranger says no one has come forward — but someone knows the truth[​IMG]
    $6,000 reward still up for grabs in case of missing goats
    Special Ranger says no one has come forward — but someone knows the truth

Rewards are known for bringing tipsters out of the woodwork. Sometimes, if the there’s enough cash, a witness may even turn on their friend or significant other. But in a case of 307 Angora goats stolen from a Crockett County ranch last year, even $6,000 hasn’t enticed anyone to come forward.

[​IMG]
    The missing goats are branded with a “Z” on the right ear and had ear tags inscribed with the word “Mayfield” and a phone number.

Texas & Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association Special Ranger Marty Baker hopes that changes soon.

The Angora goats, worth more than $46,000, were taken from the Mayfield Ranch, located 30 miles south of Ozona in Crockett County, sometime between April 7, 2020, and September 23, 2020. Baker said it is unknown if all 307 head were stolen at once or over time. The missing goats are branded with a “Z” on the right ear and had ear tags inscribed with the word “Mayfield” and a phone number. Their left ears are cropped, and most of the goats have tipped horns.

The money, which consists of $1,000 from Texas & Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association’s Operation Cow Thief program coupled with $5,000 of the victim’s, will be paid to an individual or divided between individuals who provide information leading to the arrest or indictment of the responsible party.

Baker said all information is kept confidential, and tips may be provided anonymously by calling 817-916-1775. Anyone with information may alternately contact Special Ranger Marty Baker at 512-468-5552 or Special Ranger Howard Brittain at 325-340-2268.

“We continue to work this investigation, but we’ve exhausted all leads at this time,” Baker said. “But we know there’s got to be someone out there who knows something or saw something and can help us help Mr. Mayfield.”

He said while all theft is hard on a rancher, one of this magnitude is devastating.

“This is his livelihood,” Baker said. “Please come forward if you can help.”

May 6, 2021 / Crime Watch, News Releases, Theft & Law

Follow the smell!!!

2. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Live stock theft is picking up every place. Neighbor had 4 cow calf pairs in his quarantine pen they were the when he went to bed and gone the next morning when he went to feed. Initial thought was "Ok they got out" except no tracks leading away from the pen and it has been more than a little muddy here. About once a week now we are hearing about missing cattle, hogs, sheep and goats. And one does not simply steal 4 full grown cows and 4 calves some thought and planning and truck and trailer went into it.

Gator 45/70, TnAndy and SB21 like this.
  3. 3cyl

3cyl Monkey+++

Hang Rustlers, Problem solved

4. HK_User

Livestock owners have spent too many secure nights sleeping.
    All stock should be behind 2 layers of good fences and secure padlocks at the bare minimum.

Neighbor has cameras that cover his place and mine and I have cameras that cover his place and mine. His cattle are Rodeo stock and make my semi wild range cattle look docile.

Lock up each night and a shotgun at the front door.

Neighbors crew would happily take care of any intruders.

Thunder5Ranch, SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. HK_User

America legion Hall was burgled last week and had sleep overs.

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Our Legion hall has been broken into about 4 times in the last 2-3 years. They do more damage than what the get. They know where the cameras are at and weasel by them or cover their faces. Either way ,, if they get caught , nothing will happen to them,, most likely they don't work ,, won't pay restitution. Used to be a good neighborhood,, not so much now .

Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  7. HK_User

Yup we have electronic protection and steel doors all for a simple office.
    All this cost money that needs to go to helping vets, of course we are helping Vets by being there to serve.
    Some providers of funds question the expense of some items as their by-laws state all funds go directly to Vets.
    Only way we could do that is to have multiple bank accounts to spread out the expense in a P&L sheet.

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

We moved his quarantine pen gates from the East side of his place to a few hundred feet from his house. That loss hurt him he just bought them at Auction Last Tuesday and had not even had them 48 hours when they went poof. Then found out today his insurance will not cover the cost, he is going to fight that one. When the closest thing to livestock theft in the last 40 years here was a steer jumping a fence and a dispute over which of the guys owned the steer ensued and ended up in court with the Judge literally splitting the baby by ordering each of them get a half when it was butchered. Things are pretty complacent in the livestock security department in the County. Fortunately all of mine mill back up to the central woods pen and barn around sunset and the gates out to the pastures get closed. Coyotes play hell on the calf's out on the pasture after dark. but anyone wanting them has to drive past my cabin and then through 3 gates to get to them. Neighbors quarantine pen made easy pickins a 40x40 pen with a gravel drive right up to the load/unload gate. His big question is how did anyone even know there were cattle in that pen. I suspect someone followed him back from the Auction and came and claimed them a bit later.

Then on the other hand I have two Herefords in my quarantine pen now that wandered in yesterday and trying to find out who they belong to. Closest guy with Herefords that I know is 25 miles up the road and is not missing any. Not uncommon to have an escaped cow or steer wander in and mill around the pasture perimeter bawling at mine and usually with in a few phone calls find out who is missing them. These two Herefords though are turning into mystery cows. No brands, no ear tags and real good looking 3ish year old cows and no one has heard anything about any missing Herefords.......... "But if you see my Charleigh bull let me know."

Cruisin Sloth and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Man there's no respect with these druggies nowadays, These crack/meth heads will even rob the dollar store and the topping on the cake is stealing the brass/bronze service and war placard's off dead men's and woman's military graves and cutting them up for scrap prices.....Low life waste of air breathers out there

Cruisin Sloth, madmax, 3cyl and 3 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7