600v 3 phase generac

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Rsparks, Mar 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Rsparks

Rsparks Monkey+

Just picked up this 30kw generac for the awesome price of free. The challenge at the moment is that it is 600v 3 phase (Canadian) and setup for natural gas. Any input on running a step down transformer, or reconfiguring it for a more user friendly voltage would be appreciated.

20180318_153820.

20180317_153814.

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

You can convert from Y to delta by meddling with the windings connections. You will need someone that knows a LOT more than I do. There's a good chance the operator's manual will have some info. The sticker indicates that you can get 277/480 out of it with minimal work. The 480 can then be transformed to whatever you need.

Price is right, for sure. How many hours on it?

Yard Dart likes this.
  3. Rsparks

Rsparks Monkey+

150 hrs. Only run during service intervals. I'm trying to locate a manual, but generac doesn't have this unit in their database due to being a special order out of Canada .

4. ghrit

Generac should be able to give you the generator mfr's data. There should be a model number and serial number on the frame that will be useful. That's the genend serial, not the genset.

Tully Mars and Rsparks like this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

What you have is a 12 Wire Stator, on your GenEnd... It can be rewired in Any one of MANY configurations, demonstrated by the Plackard pictured in your Post... The DataPlate gives you ALL the required Information, you will need to contact your local Generac Dealership... Service, Parts, and Operations Manuals are available thru a Dealers Parts Center... I see that there are Specs for 120/240 Single Phase Power, which can be done by configuring the windings in a Double Delta Configuration... Will take about an hour to do the reconfiguration...

6. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Sweet!

sec_monkey and Rsparks like this.
  7. Rsparks

Rsparks Monkey+

Thank you for all of the info. As soon as I get a spare moment I will open up the covers and also locate the genset numbers. The end goal is to convert it to propane from natural gas , and 240v single phase . I may end up mounting it to my f700 as a portable option.

8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

You can't convert it to single phase, you are stuck with 120/208 3 phase at best.
    If it can be reconfigured that low.

9. ghrit

It appears that the machine CAN be re-connected to provide 120/240 according to the rating sticker. It'll run well enough unbalanced single phase if re-connected to 120/208 Y, but will need to be de-rated to accommodate. We will need to wait on the panel opening and wiring diagrams.

Rsparks likes this.
  10. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

What did it provide power for, previously, if you don't mind saying?

11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Unless the generator had 2 sets of windings I never seen one that would do 2 legs of 120/240.

12. Rsparks

Rsparks Monkey+

Industrial robots, but it was never called into use.

Tully Mars and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  13. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Well now, Once he opens up the Genend, and looks to see if it is a 4 wire, or 12 wire, Stator, he will know if it can be configured for 120/240 Vac, directly... 12 Wire=Yes 4 Wire=No and even if it is a 4 wire 3 Phase ONLY, it can still be done with the Correct Transformers... I have done it up here, to test the concept, and YES, it does work, and you can pull full Rated Load (minus the Transformer Losses) from the Genset in 3 Phase, powering the 3 each, Transformer Primaries, with the Secondaries Wired in 120/240 Vac Double Delta Single Phase...

Tully Mars, Rsparks and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  14. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Even though the transformers may cost...when you consider what the genset cost it's still a bargain.
    30kW ain't nothing to sneeze at.

Tully Mars and Rsparks like this.
  15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

You could always sell it and get exactly what you need.

16. Rsparks

Rsparks Monkey+

I would rather work with this unit because I'm more of a make due with what you have kind of guy. If it doesn't work out than I still have the option to sell it.

I should be able to open it up and gather more info tomorrow depending on the weather.

ghrit likes this.
  17. Rsparks

Rsparks Monkey+

This is the truck I am thinking of mounting it to.

20170615_205100.

Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
  18. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Sweet!

19. ghrit

You will be happier if it's on a trailer.

20. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

@ghrit is right about the trailer mounting. Why tie up a nice looking flatbed when you can set up the genset on a trailer that can be pulled with most anything? Put a pintle hitch on it and you could drag it with a tractor or whatever is handy. Really nice score Bro.

Rsparks likes this.
  1. techsar
  2. Benjamin A. Wood
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
    Resource

Generator FAQ 2001