7.62x51 Battle Rifle Poll on NWFA

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by 3M-TA3, Nov 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I started this poll on NWFA back in July to see what the members of that large and active gun forum preferred in a 7.62x51 battle rifle. Many of the forum members there are preppers or at least prepperish, but many are not but still enjoy those platforms. I thought you all might be interested in the results. There are also some pretty good comments as well as some of the other kind as usual.

Best 7.62x51 Battle Rifle - You Can Only Have One - Poll

Current results (the one in bold was my choice):
    upload_2017-11-8_8-48-32.

2. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

You couldn't have posted this at a better time for me! Good luck stung me so I'm in the market for one, spent the entire morning researching... I'm interested in the M1A but also looking at LWRC REPR, PWS MK216 Mod1-P and the HK MR762A1. This will probably be the only time that I can purchase whatever I want without cost consideration...unless I win the lottery. :) so I am giving it serious thought, definitely want a piston gun though...got that far in my analysis.

3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Bandit99 I would humbly recomend getting a FAL and never look back! I have the top 4 others and love them all, but for a rifle that will possably save your life the one time you need, the FAL is the only one I trust! I know an awful lot of folks will scream and shout about the M-1a series, but I gotta say, you have to spend some more hard earned coin with RightHand for "upgrades" to make it close to what it should be. The Garand isn't bad ether, but it's not the best! I also recomend getting a FAL from DSArms! This is the very best option as it's the only way to get 100% brand new matching parts in a rifle that is fully tuned and has all the desirable upgrades right from the only manufacture still making them. I bought one recently and have been most impressed with it. I special orderd it with the medium contour barrel, and the origional Belgian configuration type 1 reciever, but with the sand cut bolt body, the vortex flash hider, and the correct furniture and carry handle!
    Total cost was $1420 shipped, and 8 brand new mags were $18.00 each!!!!! Took 5 weeks from the time the order was received to the rifle was built and shipped! For a fun extra, They also included an owner's manual that includes a full armorors manual with all the popular options coverd and parts called out. Trust me, this is the top choice of serious fighting rifles, and the only series I would trust my life to besides a modded Garand! Follow 3M-TA3s build/review thread here for AR-10 info and build options and advice, he really did an outstanding build and review on his rifle and if I get a chance, and he is willing, i want to do a full on comparison between my FAL and his AR! I wanna see how well an awesome AR stacks up to a Legend!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

That FAL is pretty tough to beat, no question there! Sounds like I need to do a road trip to a higher elevation next year!

5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I'm still in Oregon for a while, and............. We we need to get together and fling some lead!

6. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

There goes the Piggy Bank again, oops just heard it hit the concrete!

7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Too dang bad that October 4th stuff fizzled out. Reactive targets are always more fun!

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. Bandit99

@Ura-Ki Thanks! $1420 is well within my parameters... I think I found the link for DS Arms (below) ...I see they custom build them for you. Hell'va good price...however, I think they screwed the pooch on some of their camouflage scheme...I certainly wouldn't want them as too feminine for my taste, the wife might...LOL! I see the one you bought "DS Arms In Stock 18" Upgraded Fixed Stock FAL Rifle $1425."
    I sort of like this one "DS Arms In Stock CTC PARA Carbine FAL Rifle. $1650". If I go down this road is it alright if I contact you via PM to see if there is anything else I should add to the build? I need to do some reading on them. The only thing I know is they were used all around the world for numerous years successfully. I also want to look over @3M-TA3 for AR-10 as I don't recall it.
    Right now I am leaning toward the PWS MK216 Mod1-P built right here in Idaho but sort of dragging heels because I know they are close to releasing a new model (mod 2) soon. Nevertheless, it would be sort of cool to have a real FAL...

I am also in a VERY pissed off mood today about our damn government concerning taxes and this ridiculous medical nonsense that will fined me even the though they do not give me anything reasonable to purchase, just wanted my damn money...wrote my Congressman and both Senators, wasn't in the best of mood so it was rather harsh, I doubt I will hear from them... Guess what I am saying is if they piss me off too much then I need to leave...even though I don't want to but if they are robbing me at home - well - might as well go someplace where costs a hell'va lot less to live and they take less - so - I think will wait until after New Years to purchase anything more...even though I want to and even though I bought $500 bucks worth of Freeze-dried this morning...but I will eat ever damn bit before I get on the plane.

MiscellaneousSalesInfo

9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Bandit99, feel free to P.M. me any time!
    My FAL is the medium heavy 21" barrel type 1 WITH carry handle cut, and fixed early Belgian/Austrian furniture with correct Belgian carry handle. It's like the very bottom one listed on the link you posted. I can give you a copy of my invoice so you can see the exact specs. The para type rifles are very nice, but the rear sight is different. It does work very well and is actually better protected from abuse, BUT it's very limited for any distance shooting beyond 300 meters, where the stock non para ( not interchangeable on a para) has up to 700 meters settings with the Israeli sight base. Also of note, and why I went with and recomend the med heavy barrel version of 18in or 21 inch, is the 4 grove rifling with tight .308win chamber! This is where the DSA really shines, that barrel will out shoot any of the other high end 7.62 rifles hands down!!!!! You could order one up as a hybrid, with a Para reciever and sights with folding stock, then get the 18 in med heavy barrel with flash hider of your choice, and decide if you want a carry handle of not! You have to spec a non sand cut bolt if you want one, otherwise you get the sand cuts. You can also get the top cover scope mount if you wish, or order it with the plane Para Top Cover ( also not interchangeable) to suit your needs! The rifle I had them make is every bit the equal acciracy wise, of a Loaded M1A National Match, or Super Match, and for less money, and you get to choose more options. Lastly, they normally come plain Jane black, and you can have them coated any way you like, or have it done later. I would ( in my highly biased opinion) go with the FAL, you just cannot go wrong with "The Right Arm Of The Free World!"

10. HK_User

Did a HK 91 in this style some years back. Used Epoxy spray electrical insulating coating for the green. I hear the fish like the looks of the grass effect in the rice marsh.

I hated it for the first couple of weeks until I leaned it against a fence post. Like to have gone nuts looking for it.

[​IMG]

11. Bandit99

@Ura-Ki "why I went with and recommend the med heavy barrel version of 18in or 21 inch, is the 4 grove rifling with tight .308win chamber! This is where the DSA really shines..."

Yes, that is exactly the sort of information and recommendations one needs from an experienced user. I will most definitely contact you when and if the time comes... I am starting to cool down so probably a matter of days but...but these SOBs are telling me that I MUST go on Obama Care to get an affordable Medical Insurance even though I am not poor, far from it - and if not then I get fined again like I will this year and God only knows how much that will be given I had a very good year. Anyway, this is neither the time or place for a rant. Let me cool off some...

Gator 45/70, 3M-TA3 and Ura-Ki like this.
  12. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Guess it's "other" for me. I'll stick with my Spanish Lady, the venerable CETME.

13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Oh buddy, i got hit with a $1000 "fine" for not having Obummers care last year, and this year is likely going to be double that, and i have self insurance + V.A. benifits, so figure that one out!!!!!!!! I even went in the the IRS office with my lap top and hotspot and went through the application denial prosess with the senior guy, and all be did was tell me SORRY, it's the LAW, and he has to in force it wether he likes it or not. When I told him I wanted to sign up but couldn't and asked him what to do, he just shrugged and said IDK, take it up with your senators, and Congress critters! So far all the letters and e mails and phone calls have resulted in ZERO action from any of them! I'm about at my wits end, and ready to sue the .gov for punishing me because they can't pull there their fingers out and actually do the effing job!

Ok, now you got me on a good mad, i see how you are, J.K.
    Seriously, this whole Obummers Care deal is F.U.B.A.R!!!!!!!!!

14. HK_User

Some kind of screw up there.

I got a VA letter that said I was a "need not apply" OBUMA route.

No fine.

15. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The only thing worse than Obummer Care is the Senate and Congress not having a plan ready to go the day Trump was sworn into office, especially after the pissed and moaned about it for almost 8 years. The swamp is wide and deep..

16. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I have been fighting this one sided battle since obummer care went into effect! Dosnt matter when I show my V.A. card, DD214 or any other documents that should clear me, i get nasty grams from the State IRS demanding payment for non compliance, and when I call the State office for Obummers Care asking why the system denies me, guess what, its because the V.A. benifit clear Me! When i demand the State IRS to not only stop harassing me, but refund all the money plus interest for the fines I have had to pay, i get the same canned answer, contact the State politicians! I have paid the IRS close to $11000 since this all kicked off! I want my damn money back, and i want it right frickin now cupcake!!!

sec_monkey, Bandit99 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. HK_User

Go to Federal Court.

I did on a like deal and got two years back interest ( I know it was my own money) and my IRS Tax Money too.

In my case it was about to go to trial but had the Judge's name on the paper work so I called her. Instant repay.

Give em enough rope and they'll beg you to take your money back.

18. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

A bit on my choice of the AR308 platform over the others. In my group of loved ones I am the only person experienced with semi auto rifles beyond perhaps a 10/22. I reasoned that inexperienced shooters would be helped if the battery of arms was the same for all rifles. If it were just me no problem as I can switch platforms like berries through a duck, but I have to take the overall picture into consideration. That really gives me a few options for supporting 5.56 NATO/7.62x39 and 7.62 NATO class systems.:
    • Mini-14 and M1A
    • AK47/74 and Galil 308
    • AR-15 and AR-10/AR308
    I believe there is also a 5.56 NATO version of the G3, I forget the model number. In any event the modular design, superior ergonomics, and overall cost let me to the AR family.

For the same reason all of our semi automatic pistols are from the S&W M&P line. If it were just me it might have been a different platform, but the M&Ps work well for Mrs. 3M. All function the same, all have the safety feature.

Note the similarity of my AR-15 builds and my AR308. The AR-15's now have the same BUIS as the AR308 as well as Smith Vortex flash hiders. The AR308 has a Smith Vortex I haven't gotten around to installing yet. The idea is to make them as much the same as possible to prevent a mistake during intense stress.
    upload_2017-11-8_15-47-40.
    upload_2017-11-8_15-48-9.

19. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

I do love my Galils looks like 13 other folks do as well :)

20. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Another "other" here...Browning lever action. Doesn't scare the sheep so much :)

1. 3M-TA3
  2. Matei
  3. Yard Dart
  4. Yard Dart
  5. hot diggity
  6. Oddcaliber
  7. Dont
  8. oil pan 4
  9. Oddcaliber
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Marvin L. Steinhagen
  12. Ura-Ki