7 Inches of Rain in Texas.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HK_User, Jul 8, 2015.

Tags:
  1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

No time to waste, keep on digging those ditches!
    HK

U.S. forecaster sees El Nino likely into Northern Hemisphere into spring

[​IMG]
    July 9, 2015 9:36 AM

• NEW YORK (Reuters) - A U.S. government weather forecaster on Thursday again extended its El Nino outlook, projecting an 80 percent chance that the much-watched conditions will continue into the Northern Hemisphere's early spring of 2016.

The Climate Prediction Center, an agency of the National Weather Service, said in its monthly report that it saw the likelihood that El Nino would last through the Northern Hemisphere winter of 2015-16 at more than 90 percent.

There has been a growing consensus among forecasters for a strong El Nino, a weather pattern that can roil crops and commodities prices.

Last month, the CPC said El Nino was likely to last through the winter.

Across the contiguous United States, the effects of El Nino are likely to remain minimal through the summer and increase into the late fall and winter, the CPC said.

To read the full CPC report, click: Climate Prediction Center: ENSO Diagnostic Discussion

ditch witch and Hanzo like this.
  2. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Maybe you should buy a bulldozer back hoe? Quicker ditch and berm building.

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

snopes.com: Bumblebees Can't Fly This gives a very good account of where this Urban Legend came from, and the FACT that it is a Whole Lot of BS, from the Get-Go.... Also of NOTE, it isn't ALL BEEs, it is only BumbleBees that were not supposed to be able to Fly. and the theory was, that their Wings were supposed to be "Ridged" which they are NOT.... so the fallacy, was initiated by a False Assumption, in the First Place.....

4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

The story I know, was that the bee was believed to flap it's wings up and down cancelling itself, and it was only the high resolution super slowmo cameras that showed the movement to be of a more aerodynamic nature.

5. HK_User

My problem appeared and has in the past when someone else changed some part of the landscape above me.

Example 1.

The County paved my road and left a lip of gravel on the edge of the road. The water followed the lip until it got to my driveway, at which time it came down as a river to my parking area and was redirected by me in a few minutes. If not it could have caused some problems. I later repaired the driveway and paved the front part with cement and placed berms to prevent this from happening should I not scrape the road.
    I now monitor the county road and use a box blade to scrape away that lip when it reappears which allows a more natural flow of water onto my field and down to one of my drainage routes to the big lake.

Example 2.

Neighbors damn broke, caused a two foot wall of water to drain toward the shop. Saw it happening and used the Front End Loader as a ditch digger to do emergency reroute of the water.

Equipment on site is.
    Back Hoe/Front end loader too large for the example 2 and too slow.
    Front End Loader, light weight and easy to maneuver with the hydrostatic transmission.
    Ford Tractor with box blade and other implements for most jobs.

6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

HK_User you can make the county fix that. Most places they are required by county ordinance to fix it. If you want to pursue this pm me

HK_User likes this.
  7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Certainly not true in this county. Mine is a township road, the county has nothing to say about it. Gotta say, that's here, not there, but points out that the rules are different, depending ---

HK_User and BTPost like this.
  8. HK_User

Thanks Ganado,

I have good relationship with the District Commissioner and one of the reasons is that I take care of what I can and if I need his help he responds quickly. The road event happened many years ago and I now consider the upkeep to be my responsibility, not to mention the scraping provides a fair amount of high quality gravel and black top marbles.

Ganado likes this.
  9. HK_User

Understood, I actually live on a road that starts as "County Road xxx".
    We are set up in maintenance precincts that are also the Voting precincts which means if you are a poor Road Maintenance Precinct Commissioner you will be out of a job come the next election.

10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

He said county road in his 1st post ...duh

HK_User likes this.
  11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Duh. The point was and remains that different strokes for different political subdivisions. There are NO county roads here 'bouts. Are you in his district, or guessing, or making an unwarranted generalization based on something else?

Have to add, I would not want the twp road boss's job. It's unpaid. (There are other reasons.)

12. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

MORE RAIN!
    The thing about rain in this part of the country is that we're not set up to handle it. We don't have storm drains or gutters except along a few spots on I40 running through Amarillo. Everywhere else, you find these dips at all four ways, like big indentations on either side of the main road, to channel it off a bit. (which is hell on cars that have front spoilers, I might add) It's ok for light rain, but anything heavy and the roads fill up like rivers in a matter of minutes.

flooding.

13. HK_User

Flat there, hilly here. Rain there, triple digit here, must be TEXAS

Ganado, kellory, oldawg and 1 other person like this.
  14. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Well rain is a mofo.... up here we have mountains and hills move when we have to much rain..... landslides are our winter hazard amongst everything else......

1. hot diggity
  2. arleigh
  3. Gator 45/70
  4. Motomom34
  5. HK_User
  6. Yard Dart
  7. Hosster
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7