7 Layers of tactical clothing

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by phishi, Oct 28, 2005.

1. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

First layer, 15 pound beer gut! Best damned insulation there is!

2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Oh ya, I forgot about the beer gut [respect]

3. BigUglyOne

BigUglyOne Monkey+++ Founding Member

You must be still in the Military ... 30 pounds works even better LOL

T shirt, wool longjohn (or poly pro) shirt, a flannel shirt and a Carhart jacket with a hooded sweatshirt under it worked for all but the worst weather (below -20 below). Under that temp I usually added a vest over the Carhart.

4. sniper-66

Well, I have the 30, but 15 pounds of fat in your ass doesn't do much good! Actually, the best way to fight the cold is to reach over and back and turn the Aux heater on. God loves Medevac!

5. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I have 7 layers of tactical fat! Does that count?

Really I have never done the tactical clothing thing. Here in TX we are kinda lucky only at the colded of times does it ever get below 20 and I am big enough even that is bearable for sevearl hours at a time.

6. phishi

phishi Psy-Ops Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I'm noticing that some people are posting that they use cotton somewhere in their line up, myself included. This needs to be done with care, especially in cold weather. Cotton takes forever to dry when its wet. During this drying cycle, your wet clothing acts as a wick, pulling your body heat away from where it is needed most, your body. In a cold weather survival situation, cotton can kill.

Backpackers have known this for years. To beat this, they use clothing made form synthetics (poly, lycra, spandex) and natural fibers (wool, silk). Both sets do a wonderful job of insulating you, even when wet. Obviously the military has figured this out also.

The only time I am willing to carry a cotton item is during the summer, when the risk of freezing to death is less. Other solutions would be to keep a change of clothing in a dry bag that you would change into once reaching a warm, dry place. If cost is a concern, check out web sites like Sierra Trading Post and Campmor. They often have great gear at discount prices.

phishi

7. sniper-66

Hikers addage, cotton kills. The only other addage is synthetics will shrink wrap you in a fire! That is why we are only allowed to wear cotton, wool or nomex

8. phishi

phishi Psy-Ops Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Sniper, you are a special case. Due to your line of work, you stand a decent chance of becoming toast if something bad happens to your ride. Most people don't face that on a daily basis. That doesn't mean that one doesn't need to watch their sleeves when lighting the cook stove. I've been known to get naked when lighting mine.......

In the end, for me, the benefits of fleece does not outweigh the risks.

phishi

9. sniper-66

Actually, there is a company that now makes Nomex fleece, but even I can't afford it right now!

10. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

This one is my prefered meathod. Especialy in the winter I have a full change of cloths thats basicly thermal underwear, a set of sweats, good socks, a jacket and a towel that I keep in one of the huge ziplock bags thats about the size of a groceriey bag. They may not be my favorite cloths but it makes sure that if for some reason I am not dressed for the season when I NEED to be (think like TSHTF while on your way to a funeral out of town) then I have them and assumeing I am clothed apropriatly (as I generaly am) for the season then I have a set of cloths to change into if the ones Im wearing get wet or need to be washed if things draw out. Its just the solution I have found to work best for me. With it all in that bag and the air squeezed out the full change of winter clothes is about the size of a womans average purse.

11. BigUglyOne

BigUglyOne Monkey+++ Founding Member

I forgot about sweats. They make awsome long johns

12. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

I wore those under Helly Hansen Rain gear while a deck hand on a comercial fishing on a boat in Alaska waters in the winter from Dec to march. Was warm most of the time.

13. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I also like union" suits (the old grandpa long underware like with the trap door back). Especialy the heavier ones are comfy and help a LOT for staying warm.

14. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

That must have been quite exciting. :shock:

15. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Super long hour's, cold weather, Ruff water, dark 20 + hours a day.
    Yeah it sure was, Im glad i did it for a couple years.
    Made some good money and stayed in one piece.

16. E.L.

Has anyone heard from Phishi?

17. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

He called me tonight and when I called him back he was at a party...
    Guess he is all healed up. I know it was an adustment when he went back to work.

He'll check in soon I'm sure

18. E.L.

I am glad that he is okay.

19. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Moved OT posts to Eat My House...

20. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Great thread info on clothing layers..... :)

1. laraming
  2. ED GEiN
  3. Swedish woman
  4. Swedish woman
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Shinzo
  7. Meat
  8. Hanzo
  9. HK_User
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Motomom34
  12. Ganado