1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

.700 Rifle, Cannon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

2. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Nice, I want one. Now makes the 458's and 50's look like kids guns, right!
  3. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Nice toy but what can it do that a BMG cannot?
  4. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

buhjeezuz. 6 rounds out of a pound of lead. enough powder for a box of 5.56.

That's not really a good prep choice unless you need to stop an elephant in it tracks. YMMV

And there aren't any wild elephants in Michigan last time I checked.
  5. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

It takes more force than normal to work the bolt.
  6. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Local Sheriff will buy them for door busting lemon-aid stands. :)
    BTPost likes this.
  7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Paging Bruce....This has Ak. written all over it...!!!
  8. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

It is my understanding that ANY Weapon that has a Rifled Bore over .5" or 50 Caliber, or Smooth Bore over 10 Gauge, is classed as a NFA Weapon. Last time I checked, most alaskans can't afford the Tax Stamp to secure such weapons. I know I can't, these days. There was a Wildcat, that an Alaskan Gunsmith, from SquareBanks, worked up for Polar Bears, called the .35 Whomper. I knew the Son, Dennis, who shot National Match, and was a Salmon Cannery Foreman. ..... YMMV....
    Cephus likes this.
  9. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

The inventor believes the rifle is not classified by the BATFE as a destructive because it is a sporting weapon. There is sporting weapons, such as shotguns and big bore double rifles, are exempt, the usual procedure it to obtain a letter from the BATFE stating that the particular weapon is a sporting weapon.[drooling]
  10. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Then you only have to worry that they don't change their mind and pull a Ruby Ridge or Waco on you for an unconstitutional $200 tax.
  11. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

Bruce, do you have any links to the .35 Whomper? (I love that name!) I tried a google search but couldn't find anything. What is the base cartridge- a 50 BMG?
  12. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

No I do not... It was a wildcat, and as I recall, it was based on a .458 WinMag fire-formed case. I can't even remember Dennis's Last name, as it has been a decade since I spoke with him. His Dad was the GunSmith, and built the custom Barrels. I did get to try and shoot it once..... Way to big of gun than I could comfortable handle. We both worked for the same outfit for decades, before they liquidated their Alaska interests, in 2003.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary