70's Only.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Meat, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I remember thinking Evel Knievel was the coolest dude ever. I'd jump my Big Wheel ramp to ramp. Seemed like a long ways but probably only a couple of feet. I also remember going to the World's Fair in Spokane. Rolling in a 69 Plymouth across the state. That's the same car my would take to the full service gas station and tell the guy "fill er up with ethyl." Funniest $hi+ ever! [afro]

2. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Reminds me of a concert back in '77 or '78...15 minutes until the gates open and 25 miles away. Made it with time to spare - in a Datsun 510 wagon ;)

Never had a Big Wheel, but did all sorts of stupid things on bikes...and lived!

Meat likes this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I went to the Snake River in Twin Falls ID and got my picture taken in front of the dirt ramp that was left from Evil trying to rocket across the river. It was the coolest thing. I swear there was more spirit back then. Evil Knievel, the Olympics and the bi-centennial celebrations of 1976. Gee You Hair Smells Terrific and Body on Tap.

The 70's were great.

Witch Doctor 01, Yard Dart and Meat like this.
  4. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

Drugs, sex & Rock n roll was the 70's for me, an entire decade blown away, but it was fun!

5. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Yep - after HS graduation in '71, I was home free. What a blast!

Rented an apartment with a girlfriend. Made less than $200 every two weeks take home which was enough to cover a new car payment ($75 a month), half the rent, some savings, a case of beer (back then you had to buy 4 six packs if you wanted a case) and / or a bottle of Smirnoff for the weekends.

Oh yeah, and it bought groceries too. But only because orange juice was needed to mix with the Smirnoff. Since I was already at the grocery store, it was convenient to buy food also.

Led Zepplin and Jethro Tull were favorite tunages. Also like J. Giles Band.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  6. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

[afro]

Caveman Jim, Motomom34 and VisuTrac like this.
  7. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Yep I did the cycle thing, down the hill straight at a 2X6 on about 2' of block, I remember hitting the ramp, I don't know how I got back up the hill to the kitchen door, Mom took me in to get my ear stitched back on. I bought a 240Z in '71 after graduation so car payments were pretty steep, so no apartment for this Monkey, it was nice back then because at 19 you could drink in AZ.

Rancher

Meat, Yard Dart, Motomom34 and 2 others like this.
  8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

In '71 I was living in the Northern Cascades, with my partner, and was about to move back to civilization, in a Commune, In Washington State... Hippy Phase of my life.... for the Second time...

Caveman Jim, Meat, Ganado and 4 others like this.
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Now 6 million dollar man is what walks out of a hospital after a routine in patient surgery.

Caveman Jim, duane, Meat and 4 others like this.
  10. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Ahhhhh... the 1970s! Let's see, I remember 1968, the Summer of Love, clearly... um... er... 1983 seems clear enough, as does the rest of the 1980s, 90s, 2000s....

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    Meat and Pax Mentis like this.
  11. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Learned to pick strawberries to make money
    Learned to reload ammo
    Learned to fly a plane
    Learned that if I was tall enough to see over the counter at Henry Endres Winery I could buy rhubarb wine
    Learned to drive a car
    Learned to lose my virginity
    Graduated High School
    All in that order

I miss G.I. Joes where you could buy everything you needed for the outdoors and your car
    I miss Larry's Sporting Goods (of Larry Schoenborn Fishing the West fame)
    I miss not having a phone everywhere I go and the expectation that I am always immediately available
    I miss not having so many distractions
    I miss not having everything I have ever done recorded in a database
    I miss the open fields that now raise developments instead of crops
    I miss not being able to shake off just about anything with a good night's sleep
    I miss people being polite because everything was done face to face and we all pretty much knew each other or knew of each other

Caveman Jim, Meat, Yard Dart and 9 others like this.
  12. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

1971.... No speed limit in Nevada outside of the cities. A Dodge Polara with a 361 Hemi and a big Holley 4 barrel, a transmission that shifted by pushing buttons that looked like the ones on the radio. The year I met the woman I would be married to for 39 years.
    I wish I could go back and do it all over again!

13. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

'71 got out of the army. Got a little gas dock, snack bar/grill and beer stop on the Parker Strip of the Colorado River for the Spring/Summer. Then went up to Lake Havasu and worked construction on the London Bridge, built the Crazy Horse Campground on the island across said bridge and then got a job managing Crazy Ed's Waterhole restaurant and bar where I met my first wife.

After that it was back to school for 6 years, most of it working as a night time DJ on the regional FM Rock station, a couple of short term jobs and then I joined the cops and met my real wife.

Meat, Yard Dart, Sapper John and 4 others like this.
  14. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Walk into the bowling alley, walk out with some smokes.
    Just needed to get all the quarters in before the owner spotted ya.
    [​IMG]

15. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

:D

16. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

When I visited my grandparents for the summer in CA, Grandpa would send me down to the corner market to grab him a pack of smokes and a bottle of wine. I was about 10 then, never an issue to get what he sent me for. Of course my favorite time was sitting on the front porch with him, and he would fire up his pipe with some cherry tobacco. :)

17. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

^The best I could do was buy the cigarette gum. Remember those? Once my mom saw me puff one that was the end. Idiot! [afro]

Caveman Jim, Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  18. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Smoked a pipe when I was younger, rule of thumb, if the tobacco smell good it tastes real bad.... think my favorites were Borkum Riff.

Rancher

Caveman Jim and Meat like this.
  19. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Disliked that, sorta liked a Cavendish blend, the name of which has long ago escaped me. Also liked plug cut in preference to shag.

Meat likes this.
  20. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Hill climbing motorcycles was big in the 70's too. My Pop had a brand new Maico 400 in 1973. Pretty cool to hear your dad's name from the announcer then see him roar up the hill and fly off the top. He'd test ride it up the alley during the week and once my mom called the cops on him. He ditched them but kept her. Lol. :D

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7