75 years in prison....

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by Redneck Rebel, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Gunny Highway

Gunny Highway Hard Work and Sacrifice blessed by God's Grace

By transparent they meant Pelosi's view of the Healthcare Reform " If you want to find out what is in the law we need to pass it first " right ?

She needs a beatdown of EPIC proportions....:mad:

Seawolf1090 likes this.
  2. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

That was exactly my sentiments when, think it was in NYC, some were throwing a fit about putting cameras in the street(to prevent crime). ACLU also got involved, whining about the violation of people's privacy. I was wondering what privacy you have when you're on the street in a big city like that. If you're surrounded by dozens of people most of the time on the street, you HAVE NO PRIVACY. It's not rocket science, it's COMMON SENSE.

3. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

cameras do no prevent crime. they are just a witness to it.
    reinforcements show up after the fact.

I think if everyone were required to be armed we would be a much more polite society.

scrapman21009 likes this.
  4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I really don't mind the traffic and street cams if they are used for what they are designed for, that would be recording things as they were when the deed went down. That will quite likely help with solving crime, but for damn sure will not prevent it and I doubt the deterrence factor. The thing that sticks in my craw is the potential for (and I fear certain) future misuse, particularly following a random terrorist like me and prying into where I go and what I do just for s&g, hoping to catch me doing the inevitable violation of some obscure rule or regulation. That's Big Brother stuff, and with some of these facial recognition things out there now (not yet in common use) it would enable automatically following and recording ME, a private citizen.

5. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

6. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I'm reminded of Kippling's poem "Tommy Atkins"

I'm reminded of Kippling's poem "Tommy Atkins", when folk of conservative inclination bag (Australian slang for disparage or deride) the ACLU as a bunch of liberal commies, when the ACLU's causes don't coincide with their own ideology: yet are prepared to appeal to the ACLU's support when they feel that their own freedoms are being infringed. I have no idea what Witchdoctor's thoughts are about the ACLU, other than that they would be a useful resource in offering a defence in this kind of prosecution. My observation is a general one, having noted in another thread on this site a similar appeal to the ACLU (as a defender of fundamental civil and human rights).

For the ACLU's stance on a number of issues related to communications technology and the law, the following weblink refers...

Technology and Liberty - Recent Court Cases, Issues and Articles | American Civil Liberties Union

tulianr likes this.
  7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yeah, the technology exists, it isn't yet deployed very widely and isn't as foolproof as CSI wants you to think. It's coming, no doubt with federal money passed to local governments that can convince tptb of a need. And paid for by all of us, even those that live on the top of a hill in a county with only about 1800 citizens and no crime to speak of.

VisuTrac likes this.
  8. chelloveck

A polite society would be nice, but......

A polite society would be nice, but......I'd much prefer a much less lethal society. Dying at the hands of an excruciatingly polite individual would not be at the top of my most preferred ways of shuffling off this mortal coil.

Consider a society where everyone is compulsorily armed....sociopaths, the incompetent and misanthropes are dangerous enough as it is....

Be careful what you wish for; for as in Midas's case....such a suggestion may more than likely bite you in the rear end in ways that you never expected.

9. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Like ALL such groups, and I include the much vaunted and sometimes cussed NRA, the ACLU tends to 'cherry pick' their cases. They like a cause they believe they can win without too much bother or expense. Not necessarily a bad thing - no sense wasting limited resources on a 'lost cause'.
    Then there is the well-documented connections between the ACLU's founders and Communism. We Conservatives do tend to take that bit of nonsense to ridiculous extremes........

Alpha Dog likes this.
  10. goinpostal

goinpostal Monkey+++

The way our rights are being eroded,I just wonder how long it will be before LEO's have to worry about being looked at through a different kind of lense??
    Matt

11. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

It's already happening and has been for a while.

12. scrapman21009

scrapman21009 Chupacabra Hunter

Officer John Anderton: Mr. Marks, by mandate of the District of Columbia Precrime Division, I'm placing you under arrest for the future murder of Sarah Marks and Donald Dubin that was to take place today, April 22 at 0800 hours and four minutes

I'm not sayin'...but nothing should surprise us anymore

13. T.R

T.R Monkey+

Pretty sad state of affairs . that and the existence of the patriot act . The constitution and due process of law has always been a bane for Fascists and neo communists alike . The degredation of the constitution is one of the reasons I prep .

tacmotusn likes this.
  14. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

Update

This ruling was based on a separate case than the one highlighted in this thread, but it seems that it would protect this individual as well.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/21/opinion/the-right-to-record.html

The Right to Record

Published: May 20, 2012

The Civil Rights Division of the Justice Department took an important stand last week, declaring that citizens have a First Amendment right to videotape the actions of police officers in public places and that seizure or destruction of such recordings violates constitutional rights.
    The Justice Department made the statement in a federal lawsuit brought against the Baltimore Police Department by Christopher Sharp, who used his cellphone to take video of the police arresting and beating a friend at Pimlico on the day of the 2010 Preakness. The officers took Mr. Sharp’s cellphone while he was recording and wiped the phone clean of all videos before returning it to him.
    The Courts of Appeals for the First and Seventh Circuits have wisely found that the Constitution protects the right to videotape police officers while they perform official duties. The video video taken by another witness of the beating at Pimlico shows that the right to record is crucial to holding police accountable for their actions.
    Mr. Sharp sued for damages to his personal property and for injunctive relief in the form of a clear policy on videotaping consistent with the Constitution and also training for the police. The judge hearing the case arranged a settlement conference for May 30, though the case is far from being settled.

Guit_fishN likes this.
  15. chelloveck

Perverting the course of justice

Would the police involved in the confiscation of personal property and the erasure of data from said 'phones not be indictable for perverting the course of justice by destroying evidence of a crime?

Guit_fishN and tulianr like this.
  16. scrapman21009

scrapman21009 Chupacabra Hunter

I have cctv cams on my property and was told by a county LEO who is a friend of mine "although not required be Maryland law, It would be wise to place signs every 100' on my property line", It implies consent if it is posted. Along those same lines, I think I need to get a bumper sticker for my car too!

17. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Just add a short Statement to your "Posted" signs saying "You are being watched".....

18. Bluenote

Bluenote Monkey

With a fast car or motorcycle a lot of fun can be had with the speed cameras.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7