76 Uses for Apple Cider Vinegar

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Motomom34, May 8, 2018.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Apple Cider vinegar can be made at home and is one of those items that is multi-use. This article lists 76 uses for ACV (apple cider vinegar). I noticed that honey and vinegar mixed together is mentioned many times on the list. Some of the uses listed on her list were new to me.

76 Uses for ACV Around the Homestead by Linda Wilson
    76 Uses for Apple Cider Vinegar in and Around the Homestead
    64. Make buttermilk by adding in 1 Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to one cup of milk. Allow to sit until it thickens.

65. Salad dressing is even better with extra virgin olive oil or EVOO and a dash of salt and some apple cider vinegar.

66. Pickle bologna with apple cider vinegar and have a flavor treat.

67. Soaking grains. Grains will be tenderer if you add in some apple cider vinegar.

68. Cooking. Meats, sauces and other foods will all be richer if you add in a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar when cooking.

69. Vinaigrette dressings are delicious on salads, fruits and vegetables if you use apple cider vinegar.

70. Homemade mayonnaise will taste richer if you add some apple cider vinegar into the blend.

71. Buttermilk pancakes are delicious. Add some apple cider vinegar in with the buttermilk and allow it to begin to curdle and they’ll taste even better.

72. Baked goods will rise better and be flakier if you add some apple cider vinegar to the dough.

73. Roasts will be extra-juicy of you add in some apple cider vinegar while cooking.

74. Chutney is excellent and if you add in some apple cider vinegar while cooking the apple cider vinegar will soften the fruit.

75. Hard boiled eggs won’t break when cooking if you add some apple cider vinegar to the water when boiling. .
    Follow the link for the complete list.
    76 Uses for Apple Cider Vinegar in and Around the Homestead

We have had threads on making your own vinegar here:
    Making vinegar from scratch

And here is another thread that has some good info on vinegar
    Vinegar

I made ACV a few years ago but I think I need to make another batch or two. It is a skill that one should practice because ACV will be very beneficial if society ever collapsed.

2. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Years ago dad taught me to take 2 table spoons of ACV and 2 of honey in a cup of hot water for a cold coming on . It stops it right there.
    If I had to drive off the hill 7,000 feet elevation to sea level ,one didn't dare drive back up with a cold , it would make things worse . So I would make a thermos of the brew and sip on it the whole trip and be over the cold before heading up the hill .
    I don't know exactly why but drinking ACV habitually my metabolism kept me warmer than most during the winter ,better circulation I assume . while others suffered in the slightest cold I was quite comfortable. Not unusual for me to shovel snow in 20 degree weather levis and T shirt .
    I have also used ACV for botulism poisoning.
    1.at the first inclination of something wrong ,evacuate the stomach .like a life and death emergency no postponing it till a more convenient time.
    2. drink as much ACV as you can take , probably no more than 1/2 a cup ,and that's pushing it for most people. 1/4 cup might be enough ,it depends on the quantity of food consumed and how much was evacuated .
    I keep a small bottle in my EDC bag for just such an occasion .
    I have dealt with this issue both on my self and others in my family.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  3. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Didn't they use vinegar to fight scurvy while abroad sailing vessels long ago because it stores so well? I need to look that up when I get time...

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Pretty good for coffee maker scale removal diluted 1 in 20 in a full pot.

Gator 45/70, oldman11 and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. ochit

ochit Monkey+

Vinegar is one thing that takes a lot of time and resources jars and such to make and it takes a lot when you use it, so in provisions 5 gallons of each is not out of line.

Gator 45/70, arleigh and Motomom34 like this.
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I figure it is a good prepper skill and apples are easy to find in the fall. It is something preppers should have.

@Bandit99 let us know if you find the answer. Good question.

Gator 45/70, oldman11 and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I drink it as a beverage mixed with water and sweetened with honey. It is refreshing.

Gator 45/70, oldman11 and Motomom34 like this.
  8. Bandit99

I use white vinegar, didn't think to use apple vinegar but can think of no reason why it wouldn't work. I use it to descale my electric kettle which I use for tea every morning so needs it about every 2 weeks or so... The water here has a lots of minerals so...

Gator 45/70, oldman11 and Motomom34 like this.
  9. Bandit99

"Didn't they use vinegar to fight scurvy while abroad sailing vessels long ago..."
    Yes and no. They experimented with it and found it did not contain enough vitamin C.

In 1747, a Dr. James Lind perform an experiment on the HMS Salisbury while sailing from England to the Plymouth Colony in America on a dozen men sick with scurvy. He broke the men into 6 groups of 2 and had specific diets for them. One group was on apple vinegar.

"After the oranges, Lind observed that apple cider had the most beneficial effect on the seamen. Although the sailors on apple cider were not well enough to work, their gums improved somewhat, their weakness abated slightly and their appetites improved. Apple cider has a tiny amount of vitamin C, which caused moderate improvements in the men's health, but not enough to cure the disease."

"Lind found not only the prevention and cure for scurvy, but he later developed a method for the concentration and preservation of citrus fruit juices for use at sea."

"In 1795, the British Royal Navy provided a daily ration of lime or lemon juice to all its men. English sailors to this day are called "limeys," for lime was the term used at the time for both lemons and limes. Scurvy disappeared from the British navy."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...29e-a514-9af894aeb9ce/?utm_term=.c2392eb76e52

10. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

77. Cleaning cartridge brass. It won't give the shiny golden finish that my tumbler will, but I've never had shiny brass shoot any better than dull brass. About half a mason jar of brass, covered with apple cider vinegar and a couple shots of dish soap is what I used for years and years to clean brass. Just give the jar a shake every time a commercial comes on, or you make a trip to the fridge. 10 minutes before bed, warm the oven to 200 degrees and dump the brass on a cookie sheet covered with paper towel.
    Place in heated oven, switch the oven off and the brass is nice and dry by morning.

78. Rust remover. It's slow and gentle, but it will soften and remove rust from old tools and lantern parts with time and just a gentle brushing. It will clean nickel, but will slowly remove it, so you'd need to neutralize the acid with baking soda after cleaning.

I saved I-lean from the scrap heap with a little apple cider vinegar and some Mothers mag wheel polish. 228B  after a little work.

Gator 45/70 and arleigh like this.
  11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Not to derail the thread,
    As a side note on the "baking soda" antacid .
    If you get PH test strips and test your self , it is important to note that cancer cells thrive on a acidic environment , one's PH should be about 7 on the scale . adding some baking soda to your diet can correct the imbalance .
    Imbalances happen in our bodies all the time ,over doing one can mess up the other .
    Knowing your PH is good sense . If your taking Vinegar regularly , check your self as well .
    Drug stores usually carry test strips.

Gator 45/70 and hot diggity like this.
  12. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Interesting. I'm having a myriad of health issues that are slowing me down and making me feel creaky and old. I'd never considered how all the changes in my diet and other habits could affect my overall PH. I'll have to look into it. Great looking, long wavy hair is nice, (Thanks to the PH change from my lemon juice shampoo) but when all my joints are on fire it's hard to enjoy great hair.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I drink 2 caps full of ACV and Lemon Juice in 16 oz of water every morning. It cures most of those aches and pains. Most people are not acid enough in their digestive track which helps with food digestion.

PH testing is meaningless, you have to test your blood ph for it to mean anything. saliva, pee and poop ph are not relevant to blood ph because you body has a 'digestive process' that ph balances food for the level you need.

The blood needs to be slightly alkaline, even drinking ph water doesnt help you much unless you are really off, the ph tolerances in you body are on a very narrow band width. If you are outside (alkaline or acid) that is when you get disease.

The Truth About Alkalizing Your Blood

BENEFITS OF ACV
    12 Things That Will Happen If You Drink Apple Cider Vinegar Daily

Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Really, I guess I have been wasting my money on alkalized water. I have been trying to drink some everyday. To $$ to drink it all the time.

Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  15. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

IKR @Motomom34 the marketing hype got me for a while too. I try alot of stuff, but it has to work or no go for me and the alkaline water is a waste of money

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. rep1270

rep1270 Monkey+++

I use white vinegar to take the bite out of sunburn. Just put vinegar in tepid (warm) water and pat it on the sunburn. This works best if put on just before bed as it will get rid of some of the pain so you can sleep. Works great on children too. My grandson had a bad sunburn and it bog his pain under control so he could sleep. His girlfriend had never heard of it before (she a LPN) uses it now it is much easier to use than all the other stuff on the market and it worked for us. I use white because it dose not smell as much as regular. Ralph

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Plain white vinegar mixed 1 cup epsom salts two tbs Dawn detergent per gallon is a much better weed and grass killer than anything else I have ever tried and doesn't harm anything except grass

Ganado likes this.
  1. Motomom34
  2. hot diggity
  3. hot diggity
  4. Motomom34
  5. hot diggity
  6. Motomom34
  7. Hanzo
  8. Ganado
  9. Ganado
  10. Motomom34
  11. Motomom34