8 Vegetables You Can Regrow

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by Motomom34, May 16, 2015.

1. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

We eat a lot of Ginger, I'm transferring these to a 30 gallon pot tomorrow. I should have a sustainable harvest in about a year.

Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

In @Gopherman's pictures are his passion fruit plants. He kindly sent me some plants but I am having issues. Twice I have tried to put them outside and they just curl up. The first time was in direct sun. I brought them back inside and put them back in water which made them perk up. I planted them again this weekend and placed them in semi-shade then ended up putting them in full shade. Same results- they curled up. 001.JPG
    002.JPG

These are a sub-tropical plants. It is cultivated commercially in tropical and subtropical areas for its sweet, seedy fruit and is widely grown in several countries of South America, Central America, the Caribbean, Africa, Southern Asia, Israel, Australia, Hawaii (Liliko'i)[1] and United States.

I find that they are happiest living in water inside. I think it is the lack of humidity. I don't think the elevation bothers them but when I take them out of water they just start to curl up. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am starting to think I will not be able to grow these outside.

3. Gopherman

They'll do fine just don't panic! They were living outside before I sent them.They are just in shock, give them a week or two. They'll get out of control soon enough!:) They won't die!!![winkthumb]

Motomom34 likes this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Too late! I panicked, brought them inside and put them in water. I really want to grow these plants. So you think they will be fine if I replant them again? It was instant shock, I didn't thin they would last thru the week.

Gopherman likes this.
  5. Gopherman

There a hard plant to kill. If you have them in water now Bare rooted Put some rooting powder in them Before you put them in the dirt.

Motomom34 likes this.
  6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I keep thinking about this post and as its a fun experiment. I may do this with some fall veggies and see if I can get them to seed out for long term fun

What I'm wondering is long term viability of this method.

7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

8. Gopherman

I just built 3 more 12' x 4' x 12" high raised beds this week. I went to the land fill with my trailer and for $25 I was able to fill 2 of my 3 boxes. with Compost, Not top soil. That stuff usually runs $13-$15 for 2 cubic feet. I filled them up half way with dirt put 2 wheel barrels of Rabbit Pooh and 1 of sawdust then I filled the remainder with more compost. The wood for this project was $200.00 and $25 for the compost.
    I am going to start planting trees grown from cuttings in the 1/4 acre plot and let the passion vines and grape vines take it over. I am done with combat with weeds. I can easily take on 50 square feet at a time. since its already fenced off I might as well put it to good use and get a bunch of fruit out of it.
    As a side note if you root a branch from a fruiting tree and plant it it will produce fruit the next year. The plant will think it's older than it is. Seedlings can take as long as 5 years to fruit for the first time.

kellory, Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I had to read the comments to get it. Hester explained it quite well. Good find @Ganado

That is a cool fact @Gopherman Have you had success rooting a branch? I know quite a few mature trees.

Ganado likes this.
  10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Up-date:

The sweet potato that I experimented regrowing is looking amazing. I will certainly be doing more. Very easy and very healthy. The onions that I let go to seed worked. I am collecting seeds and will try to sprout a few in a couple of weeks.

DSCN0860.JPG

DSCN0859.JPG

Yard Dart and Ganado like this.
  11. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
    Yard Dart, kellory and Motomom34 like this.
  12. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I was talking to some people about starting lemon trees from seeds. I have a few started and it will be a while till I get fruit. Another lady chimed in and said that her mother had raised lemon trees from seeds of a lemon she had bought in a store. The tree was lush, smelled great and produced lemons but the lemons that the tree grew were mainly skin and pulp and the inside fruit was very small. The thought on getting good lemons was to graft from a good producing tree verses growing from seed. Has anyone grown from seed and what were the lemons like?

Ganado likes this.
  13. duane

duane Monkey+++

I do tomatoes in my greenhouse. Buy one plant of each of the types I want from a trusted source. Bought plants from Wallies a few years ago and got the dreaded late blight, so the big box stores are OUT! I grow the kinds that yield all summer and they must be pruned, suckers removed from the crotches, if you don't want to end up with a bush. Let the sucker grow until it about 4 inches with a couple of leaves on it and place it in some peat moss and keep damp. Repot when it is about a foot high and then into a 10 gal pot or raised bed. Takes about 3 weeks to get to 18 in. Takes longer than that for a plant to come up from tomato seed. I started out with 5 plants this year. I have 30 plants growing and gave 30 or 40 away. You can do potatoes from the eyes, just peel real thick when you peel them. I don't do it with store bought potatoes as I worry about blight and only buy certified seed or my own. I have lost all my potatoes 2 out of the last 5 years to blight. I hate to use the chemicals, but if you don't, you are going to win some and lose some.

14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

So now rooting solution? Just moss and water? I will try it. I never had success with tomatoes. I tried to grow plum tomatoes but the end of the fruit turned black and rot. Maybe I need to get a shoot or two for the nursery and try this way.

duane likes this.
  15. duane

duane Monkey+++

That sounds like blossom end rot. If your soil or water does not have enough calcium and magnesium the end where the blossom is will turn black and rot. In the short run you have to use a water solution fertilizer or a spray on the plant as the calcium in the ground, like lime or sea shells can only be taken up by the plants after the soil microbes break it down. I don't use any compounds when I clone, but I use the active shoot that will grow into a whole stem if the plant isn't pruned. I don't know the ins and outs of the law, but I don't sell any of the clones as the seeds of many of the modern plants are "owned".

Yard Dart, Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  16. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I still haven't had success on regrowing a pineapple. I am on try #4 but am determined. Just placed the bottom of celery in water and hoping that takes. I am concerned that the base maybe to old to take but time will tell.

DSCN0907.JPG

Ganado likes this.
  17. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

I tried a sweet potato last year and finally had to put it out of its misery. I could not even take a picture of it. It was pathetic.
    Now, Ganado, how did you do it?

Ganado likes this.
  18. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

The first pic is on 8-31-15. I had about 12 all together and most died. I went out just now and took the other pic. It is night and I hope you can tell how it looks. I have only had two live out of 12. We will see. My green onions always do really good.

I sure appreciate this post on re growing plants.

100_4192.JPG

100_4303.JPG

Motomom34 likes this.
  19. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

sweet potatoes, i always use a potato with 2 eyes, I like redundancey i ususally cut them in half and put toothpicks in them and sprout over water. once i have a few leaves then I pull the slips. THey need HEAT. unlike carrots or beets, sweet potatoes need heat.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-os-Hsdza4...MvSsYvbdTU4/s1600/Planting+Sweet+Potatoes.jpg

This is a great picture show similar to what I do but I plant them in pots using my own potting soil.
    How To: Plant Sweet Potatoes Indoors | 17 Apart: How To: Plant Sweet Potatoes Indoors

I'm lazy so I like to not have to water all the time. Right now my fall herbs are out doors I will go take a picture and post it.

For indoor pots I use the following recipe

70% sphagnum peat moss
    20% vermiculite
    10% perlite

I've been experimenting with replacing sphagnum with coconut coir (coir is cheaper and more renewable, Sphagnum takes over 100 years to be usable) but the coir is more saline. I have some in now and added more dolomite to offset saline in coir, but not sure if I have percentages correct yet.

Motomom34 likes this.
  1. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 11, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    I love Sundays!
  8. Alanaana
  9. oil pan 4
  10. DKR
  11. Alanaana
    I'm always happier outside!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
  13. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  14. Alanaana
  15. Alanaana
  16. Alanaana
    Media

Garden

My herb garden loves the rain.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  17. Alanaana
    Somewhere... can you see it?
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 24, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  18. Alanaana
    Media

Blue_skies

And sunshine
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 20, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  19. Alanaana
  20. JC Refuge
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7