825 Express Handgun...and bullet immune deer and elk :)

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Blackjack, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Just ran into this massive new handgun cartridge. The 825 Express Magnum - Wow... and I don't want to fire one.

Short article below, funny read on the immunity of game animals to the ever increasing stopping power of bullets :)

http://www.chuckhawks.com/825_magnum.htm

2. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Good christ now the 475 linebaugh is a "pipsqueak "round!!!

I can't even imagine touching of one of these in a revolver.
    ( I can feel the bones in my wrist squashing togethereven now) 750grain bullet at 1610fps..!!!

3. Infidel

Infidel Guest

"Calculated recoil in our 5.25 pound test pistol amounts to only 92.9 ft. lbs. for the Standard (1280 fps) load and a somewhat more interesting 125.6 ft. lbs. for the Premium (1610 fps) load. We feel that any experienced handgunner with hair on his or her chest should be able to handle that level of recoil energy without complaint. After all, recoil is what puts the kick in shooting!"

4. ridgerunner58

ridgerunner58 Monkey+++

Then call me hairless...I'll pass.

5. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Just keep in mind that the 'recoil is what puts the kick in shooting'....

YouTube- Rifle Test

Anyone see this as fun? Or what about this....

YouTube- Recoiless rifle

What in the world do you want with too much recoil? Too much will leave you in a bad way and that means it is tactically unsound. After all, that's why they make recoil pads.

6. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

There was a saying in the military when I was in something like, "recoilless rifles aren't".

As for handguns, if it's got too much recoil why not make it into a rifle.

My .44 magnum had too much recoil for it's previous owner. He fired it twice and was scared of it, so sold it. I've shot it hundreds of times without any complaint. 100 ft lbs does not seem too extreme unless you've never shot a big bore handgun and know what to expect from them.

7. TailorMadeHell

Oh and I just re-read that article. I love this statement, 'This is because big game has, undeniably, become progressively harder to kill during the last century'.

That is so true. You wouldn't believe it unless you have witnessed it. I have seen such. I was down at the local 'Body Armor r Us' and saw a rhino and elephant squabbling over which body armor is best to buy. :D

I just would like to know what the person who is responsible for this statement is smoking or drinking. I just had to share that. Too funny to be well thought out. [booze] [dunno]

8. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

9. TailorMadeHell

Let's skip all the bull and go straight to a 120mm handgun (M1A1 Abrams main gun). That's the 'real man' handgun. All those guys out there shooting the .800 and .600 are just plain daisy smellin', hopskotch playing, pinkos.

Some people just don't have any sense at all. See, this is yet another reason that the nuts behind the anti-gun laws are gaining more credibility. The very same morons that decide to make these things are the poster children for not owning guns. I can see the caption to that vid you posted SC, 'Too much power for any one person. Imagine a country of them.'

You have those that have a 'need for speed' so they make their cars, trucks, motorcycles or what have you, much faster than any on the planet. They have a desire to go really fast. This also is the case for fighter pilots. However I do not see anyone strapping themselves to a rocket and having NASA fire it off for the fun of it.

So why must these handgun makers decide it's bigger and better time? What is the goal? I mean if there was a use for it, it may be worthy of production. Let's see.... You can't take out flying machines with it, not enough range. You can't stop rolling steel, or anything bigger than a diesel pickup. Not enough boring power, I think. You can't shoot anything smaller than a rhino or elephant with it as it would most likely disintegrate a smaller animal.

You could shoot rhinos or elephants with it though there are problems with that. These animals are slowly moving to the endangered list or from it and you can never tell how long you would have to be able to hunt one of those. Also, like I said, with the animals buying body armor [booze], you need some kind of piercing round and I don't see the .600 or .800 piercing body armor. Smashing it maybe, piercing it, nada.

So what do you do with this thing? Hunt VWs? Mercedes, Jaguar or Ferrarri? It's definitely not for the sake of shooting. Who in their right mind can derive a shootist's pleasure from taking a good aim at a non-moving target, slowing squeezing back on the trigger and then catching a flying metal missile to the head a split second later? Sounds like fun to me.

Some people need to pull their head out of their fourth point of contact and take a breath of fresh air. Their brains are starved for oxygen and I guess that is why they are mentally challenged.

Oh, by the way, I'm currently working on that Rocket Ride now. For a small nominal fee we'll strap you to the hull of the space shuttle when they blast off. We'll give you a parachute to make sure you have a safety plan. Wouldn't want you to get hurt or nothing. And the speed is beyond belief. You'll have bragging rights even amongst your fighter pilot buddies. [touchdown]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7