9/11 Remembrance Day 2018

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yard Dart, Sep 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

I wonder what the people who made America into what it is would think about us now. The borders would be closed for sure and the country who backed these idiots who done this would be no more. We need to stay out of other countries business unless we are asked for help,but we also need to take crap from no country. We should have never let any country have a nuclear weapon of any kind. There is so much Trump needs to do without these crybaby dimocrats getting in his way.

2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

[​IMG]

oldawg, Gator 45/70, Hanzo and 2 others like this.
  3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

No, it most certainly isn't.

Hanzo likes this.
  4. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

SB21, Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  5. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

A sad day where lots of good people died. Most of the hijackers were Saudis, yet my memory is of us attacking Afganistan in retaliation. I kind of think freedom died some that day, with our resulting Patriot act and loss of some freedoms that continue to this day. Some will disagree, At least we can still do that.

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Related:

Have you heard about the airliner which was ordered back to the gate on 9/11 when the terrorist attacks began, only to have four young Arab passengers jump off the plane, after which box cutters and Al Qaeda documents were found in their abandoned bags?

I’ve heard that story before, but since it was never reported by the U.S. government, and not mentioned by the 9/11 Commission in their official report, I thought it might be another of those urban myths. Until now. Yesterday’s Wilmington (Delaware) News-Journal featured a front-page article on the Delaware Air National Guard’s first female general, Carol Timmons, who was promoted to that rank at a ceremony on Saturday. General Timmons has had a long career as a pilot, including time as a commercial pilot for Pan Am and United Airlines. The profile of General Timmons recounts that on the morning of September 11, 2001, she was the first officer on United Airlines flight 23 preparing to take-off from New York’s JFK Airport bound for Los Angeles. The plane had already pulled away from the gate and was taxiing down the runway when the airport was shut down and the crew was ordered to secure the cockpit. Timmons confirmed that as the pilot grabbed the crash ax, she jumped from her seat and started barricading the cockpit door. From the other side of the barricade the cabin crew relayed their concern about four young Arab men in first-class who became agitated when the take-off was cancelled, and fled from the plane when it returned to the terminal. Box cutters and Al Qaeda documents were later found in their luggage. Timmons, the pilot, and the rest of the crew were repeatedly questioned by the FBI, though the findings were never shared. The pilot concluded that Flight 23 would have been the next plane hijacked by terrorists if the airport shutdown order had been delayed.

“The FBI asks questions,” General Timmons is quoted as saying, “They don’t tell you things.”

In their own words: Guard members tell personal accounts of 9/11 > National Guard > Article View

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  7. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

8. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

9. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I’m not trying to be insensitive but I wonder how many folks working in high-rise buildings have considered an alternative way down since 9/11. I’d have enough rope and the ability to hit the ground for sure. Those images of the poor jumpers won’t leave my mind. RIP.

SB21 likes this.
  10. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I wouldn't work in a high rise building,,,,I just don't like them.....

Alf60, Meat and sec_monkey like this.
  11. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

[ditto]

Meat likes this.
  12. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

In my IT career, and the time this happened, my team worked in the lower basement. Our fear was getting trapped underground, and under the wreck of our 17 floor building. I kept a "survival kit" bag in my cube, with a couple flashlights, a prybar and hatchet, rope, etc. I made a map of the entire floor, noting thin spots in walls, doors that could be breeched, the evaporative cooling system that had slats that could be breeched, etc.
    My team leader made copies of that map.
    Still, with any warning, we could UA the building up one flight of stairs in less than a minute! Being my floor's emergency Floor Warden, I could roam the floor at will.
    Later we moved to the 11th floor, and evac took longer. Getting a herd down those stairwells quickly was like herding cats.

Meat and sec_monkey like this.
  13. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I went to a statue ceremony a few years back at Ft Benning Ga. It was just a motorcycle trip , and thought it would just be a nice reason to go , not knowing anything of the real reason for the ceremony . The statue was dedicated by Lt. Gen .Hal Moore . This I was surprised by , and started to get interesting to me . It was really a rather small ceremony , and after Gen. Moore's speech , I was able to squeeze my way up and shake his hand . The statue was of , and dedicated to Lt, Richard Rescorla ,, who had been with Gen. Moore at the Battle of Ia Drang in '65 . and who subsequently died in the Twin Towers on 9/11 . If you remember the movie " We were Soldier's " , and the bugle in that movie ,,,this may be an interesting person to look up his history . But this is just one story , of just one of the many people we lost on that sad day . I'm sure there are other's that are as equally impressive, and a lot of just your everyday Mom's and Dad's , who were hero's to the families they left behind .
    America may not be the country it once was , in the eye's of some . We seem to have a lot of internal problem's these day's . And I'm worried that we may not be able to get them straightened out , and return our country to the principles it was founded on , and that we remember from our younger days . But I do honor all of our servicemen and women , past and present , and their battle's and sacrifice's here and abroad . Not all of our foreign battle's have been a popular point in our history , but you can't hold that against our troops , they were just answering their country's call , and some have answered against their will , but still served their country , for what they wanted it to be . RIP to all ,,,,,

sec_monkey, Yard Dart and Meat like this.
  1. 3M-TA3
  2. Bandit99
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Yard Dart
  6. Yard Dart
  7. Motomom34
  8. Oltymer
  9. Motomom34
  10. 3M-TA3
  11. duane
  12. AD1