9 yr old and the Uzi

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Motomom34, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

By now most have heard this story. Maybe it has been discussed yesterday.

Here is a link and if you chose you can watch the video. 9-year-old girl accidentally shoots instructor with Uzi

Any thoughts on this?

PS- if this is in the wrong area please move.

As a parent I would never have let my kids shoot and uzi. NEVER. Not at 9 years of age. My child who is slightly older then this girl and was offered to shoot a 45. He said no. He thought it was too big. Our kids were taught safety first. Then once they could tell us everything that had been taught to them, they were seated at the picnic table. We had a rest for them and they first learned to shoot sitting at the table. I don't know if people agree with this but the kids were focusing their strength on holding the gun not standing. Only when the kids were comfortable with that gun were they allowed to stand and shoot.

I would be real interested to know if this child had ever shot a gun before.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2014
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

This guy should be under arrest for child endangerment, until the corpse is ripe. This was an utterly stupid move, giving a 9 year old an Uzi. I don't care how bad assed the kid is, this was foolish and irresponsible!

I guess he got what he deserved..... Darwin Wins!

3. AmericanRedoubt1776

AmericanRedoubt1776 American Redoubt: Idaho-Montana-Wyoming Site Supporter+

Motomom34 likes this.
  4. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Well...at least it is self correcting stupidity.

5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

The parents were okay with letting this little gun shoot this gun. My heart goes out to this child. This just gives the anti-gun nuts more fuel.

NotSoSneaky likes this.
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I think that the Parents were foolish, in the extreme, to allow this in the first place... Think how traumatized that young girl is today.... The Instructor was an Idiot, but that was corrected, during the incident. Now the parents can deal with the girls Issues, for a very long time. Stupid is, as Stupid does..... I would be interested in having @melbo, and @Falcon15 ask their Mrs, for a comment, as they both seems to be very levelheaded, with a daughters near the same age, and they have Firearms, in the family. The Moms perspective should be very telling, i think...

CATO likes this.
  7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Here is the best video showing where the gun was after it went FA. She had absolutely no control.

8. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I've told this story a few times, it seems.
    I would say it is a judgment call, based upon the child's abilities, and their familiarity with weapons. We started very early with hunting guns, and I can remember cleaning long guns at 8 or 9, and each kid had their own long gun by 13.
    I have to fault the instructor. He clearly knew the risks and should have planned for it. (Teathered the barrel, or set up a shooting bench, ) he failed to safeguard all others at the range. That is part of the job requirements.
    Sad that that little girl will always know she killed someone. I hope she can get through it.

9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I just heard that they have decided NOT to charge the 9 year old for killing her instructor. (I couldn't help but shake my head at that up-date)

chelloveck and Brokor like this.
  10. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I got my first .22 at the age of four. I was shooting my father's 1911 by the time I was six and his M14 NM by the time I was seven or eight but never got to fire it FA until I was maybe thirteen. I had a Thompson that I bought from Ace Hardware in Jackson, when I was maybe 12, a dewatt for back when that meant lead melted and poured down the barrel and the bolt tack-welded shut. It didn't take a twelve year old long to figure out how to change that and we had a ball with it until some deputy sheriff dude decided he wanted it and since it wasn't registered, he just took it. All my brothers and sister learned to shoot when they were pre-school; gun safety was critical in a family of hunters. There were near-misses in the family that could have ended in tragedy but lady-luck smiled each time and a near miss became just that but the lesson learned never ceased. Accidents happen. When the news media gets ahold of it, especially with an agenda, then we all chime in and feed the media monster...I am sorry for the loss of life, I am sorry for the trauma and guilt the child will bear, other than that, nothing to say except "Shit Happens".

Tracy, Dawg23, VisuTrac and 5 others like this.
  11. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Come on white guys! That was a senseless cold-blooded killing by a prepubescent! Let's go burn down a ghetto or two!

oldawg, Sapper John, VisuTrac and 2 others like this.
  12. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Ha ha @Seacowboys . I am surprised that more have not commented on this. It was a tragedy what happened and many see to see the errors, starting with putting an Uzi in an inexperienced shooters hands. I am sure they had to sign a waiver and it baffles me that they were even considering charges. I don't want to pound on the guy cause he is dead but I also wouldn't want to go to a range that lets anyone off the street shoot whatever or maybe that is okay with some.

13. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Eh, I have nothing kind to say about the way that dead instructor handled this, because a fully auto Uzi is tough for an adult to control, let alone a tiny, 9 year old girl. On semi, fine. Keep it on semi.

Too late to worry, now. All we can do is learn from this. Maybe more instructors will see this and we won't see the same mistake take place. That little girl is gonna have a tough childhood, wish her the best at getting over this tragedy.

14. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

Tragic thing to happen. I too feel for the girl. As far as the parents maybe they knew nothing about guns and totally trusted the instructor. No winners in that scenario

15. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

They just announced on the National News, that the girl and her family, were on vacation from...... Wait for it... New Jersey..... Figures... Clueless Parents....

tulianr and Brokor like this.
  16. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I fault the instructor and feel for the young girl as she will live with this for the rest of her life.

I am NOT an instructor, but would RO at a range that rented FA firearms. I don't know how often we'd have "macho guys" shoot the FA glock and pepper the ceiling baffles. 1st magazine was never more 3-5 rounds so the person would know how the firearm would react.

I remember only one guy that managed to put 100 rounds in FA from a glock 19 in a 4" hole on the target.

I also remember 2 guys from NY that were in town and wanted to shoot the FA AR-15. They had a blast, and each tipped me $20.00 for helping them out

CATO, tulianr, kellory and 1 other person like this.
  17. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Seems like self inflicted manslaughter by proxy.

I feel sorry for the girl who will have to live with the experience for years to come, and I feel sorry for the deceased instructor's family who have lost a loved kinsman. However, I have no sympathy for the instructor himself, whose competency and care for his trainee's and his own safety was fatally found wanting. I also feel that the parents have a degree of culpability in allowing their child to assume a responsibility that she did not have the physical capability of dealing with. Ignorance is no excuse. It is fortunate that the child did not kill herself or others on the range at the time.

18. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

The typical reaction of a liberal--so inflamatory, I don't see how another mindless, liberal zombie couldn't hate guns (and this country) a little more. Of course, the author is probably pro-Palestinian whose only negotiation tactic is an AK-47.

Guns still plague America like an incurable social disease – and Congress does nothing about it - NY Daily News

Guns don’t kill people.

Nine-year-old girls with ponytails and pink shorts on summer vacation do.

Just ask the National Rifle Association. They will tell you that the 9-mm. Uzi submachine gun used by the Israeli military as a weapon of war and by sociopathic murderous drug cartels had nothing to do with the death of Charles Vacca, 39, in a shooting range in Arizona called Bullets and Burgers.

Maybe they should just rename it GUNS R US — the “US” standing for the United States.

I was reading about this sad and horrific incident right after I hung up with a father from Newtown, Conn., who talked about the first day of school in that wounded town 20 months after 26 innocents in a schoolhouse — 20 of them kids under 6 — were mowed down by a monster with a Bushmaster AR-15 semiautomatic rifle on Dec. 14, 2012. Another gun that didn’t kill people.

That’s a day that will live in infamy for the cowardice Congress showed in the wake of those 26 funerals by killing any real gun-control legislation. The shills we elect to our do-nothing Congress to keep a check and balance on the executive branch are only concerned with the checks they receive from the NRA and the balance of their votes on Election Night every two years.

Meanwhile, guns still plague America like an incurable social disease.

The Brady Campaign To Prevent Gun Violence says an average of more than 100,000 people are shot in the U.S. every year, averaging 289 per day, of which 86 die, 30 are murdered, 53 kill themselves, two die accidentally, and one is shot in a police intervention. Between 2000 and 2010, a total of 335,609 people died from guns in America — more than the population of St. Louis.

Handguns were used in 72.5% of our murders and manslaughter incidents in 2011; 4.1% with shotguns; 3.8% with rifles; 18.5% with unspecified firearms. Knives and other cutting instruments were used in 13.3% of homicides.

Charles Vacca, 39, was a veteran who posted pro-gun slogans on his Facebook page.
    But guns don’t kill people. People do.

And on Monday morning — as kids prepared to return to school the next day in Newtown — out in Arizona, a little girl from New Jersey on vacation with her parents entered the Bullets and Burgers shooting range in White Hills to learn how to shoot an Uzi.

Located on 30 acres in the Mojave Desert about an hour outside Las Vegas, Bullets and Burgers is a Disneyland for gun nuts, luring trigger-happy tourists over age 8 to an “Outdoor Machine Gun Adventure” and a “Desert Storm atmosphere,” “Our guests have the opportunity to fire a wide range of fully automatic machine guns and specialty weapons,” its website boasts. “At our range, you can shoot FULL auto on our machine guns. . . . Let ’em Rip!”

And R.I.P.

RGEY MIRONOV/GETTY IMAGES/HEMERAA 9-year-old girl accidently shot and killed Charles Vacca as he showed her how to fire a 9-mm. Uzi submachine gun.
    Because on Monday morning, Charles Vacca, a veteran who posted pro-gun slogans on his Facebook page, practiced what he preached by teaching the 9-year-old the splendors of the Uzi as her parents shot video. First Vacca showed her how to shoot the Uzi in a single-shot mode. “Allll riiiight,” shouts Vacca, wearing camouflage gear and dark shades.

“All right, full auto,” he then says, switching the Uzi submachine gun into the automatic mode Arnold Schwarzenegger uses when he blazes through an action flick.

But the girl was no Arnold. And when she fired the Uzi with her skinny little arms the recoil racked the machine gun upward and to the left as the muzzle flamed. A bullet entered Vacca’s head. He was airlifted to a local hospital but tragically died that night.

Vacca leaves behind a shattered family that now knows what 26 families of Newtown experienced 10 days before Christmas 2012. They remained devastated and still too stricken to talk.

FACEBOOKPeople watch as others fire weapons at Bullets and Burgers, a Disneyland for gun nus in Arizona.
    “People can be cruel, we just want people to remember Charlie the right way,” said a woman who identified herself as Vacca’s mother-in-law on Wednesday when reached by The News.

And the little girl who killed him must live with the images of deafening gunfire, blood and death as the highlight of what she did on her 2014 summer vacation.

Awful. Shameful. Barbaric.

But guns don’t kill people; people kill people.

Sometimes the person killed is a pro-gun Second Amendment enthusiast and military veteran who was a husband and father and by all accounts a well-liked fella. Sometimes the person who kills someone like Vacca is an innocent 9-year-old girl with a ponytail and pink shorts.

Lock and load that image into the congressional chamber and let it rip.

dhamill@nydailynews.com

19. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

I swear, every time I read drivel like that, a few brain cells die....probably from self-induced suicide, to escape the stupidity I'm subjecting them to!

The instructor, alone, is fully to blame for this. Seems he forget every rule of the range, didn't ensure the child was capable, trained and ready for the firearm she was about to fire. Doesn't matter if the parents are okay with it, or even that they might have demanded the girl get the chance to fire a full auto Uzi....the firearms instructor is SOLELY responsible for determining whether she was ready (and she was NOT), and could have just told them NO. He didn't, and paid the ultimate price. SMH

kellory likes this.
  20. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Just to demonstrate the lies and misstatements in the liberal propaganda...according to the above excerpt guns and knives were used in just over 112% of the homicides in the US in 2011. Not sure how they manage that.

Obviously other BS statistics are used in the article, but looking them up seems sort of useless when it is obvious on the surface that this one has not even a passing acquaintance with truth or reality.

CATO likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7