A Better Way To Defend Your Home Against Armed Intruders!

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Lone Gunman, Mar 14, 2017.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I like my winchester sawed off pump.
    Stealing it would be a very bad idea.

A rifle round with a compressed load of something like bullseye or reddot would be interesting to see, from a distance and from behind a trench plate.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. Unique

Unique Monkey

Am I the only person reading this who is thinking "If he had simply locked his front door none of the other stuff would have been necessary."?

3. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Locking your front door makes you feel safe and secure....but doors can be breached in seconds by someone with the intent to come inside. Don't ever fool yourself into a false sense of security, plan for your own defense/protection with that thought in mind.

And welcome to the Monkey.

Trouble, Unique and GrayGhost like this.
  4. Unique

Unique Monkey

Doors can be breached much easier by someone with the intent to come inside when they're not locked.

I harden my doors but I also take the basic first step of locking them.

I hope I'm not coming off like a prick but I'm a firm believer that avoidance beats reaction every single time. I believe in a very layered defense. No sliding glass doors, thorn bushes under the windows, adequate lighting around the house and not opening the door in the first place unless you are expected or I know you well.

There's no indication in the OP that the "intruder" breached the front door. It sounds like he walked right in through an unlocked door. Which again leaves me with the inpression that had the door been locked the rest of the incident never would have happened.

Thanks for welcoming me

Motomom34 likes this.
  5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

This week where I live someone tried to rob a house where an elderly couple where watching the grandbabies, everyone was home and left their door unlocked because it was in the nice part of town.
    The home owners adult male pit knocked down the perp and went for the face, last I heard the perp was getting sent to Lubbocks intensive care unit.
    The elderly man and woman didn't try to pull their dog off the perp.
    I guess the dog eventually just got tired of mauling the perps face. LoL

6. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Trust me on this, intruders will not rattle the latch to see if it's locked before hitting it with something heavy enough to ensure entry. I agree that locks will keep honest people honest, but if someone wants in that WILL happen.

Unique, you are in the house with a pile of skills, knowledge and experience. Probably ought not to push your POV too hard in the face of experience. Don't take this as a challenge to set out your skill set in detail, we'll have that figured out in due course. OPSEC, newbie, OPSEC.

Welcome aboard.

Mountainman and Yard Dart like this.
  7. Unique

Unique Monkey

I'm missing something here I'm just not sure what.

I agree that if someone wants in they will find a way but that doesn't mean I'm going to make it easy for them and please let me point out that the intruder in the OP did exactly what you said wouldn't do. He walked right up and tried the unlocked door. What he might have done had he found the door locked is irrelevant because he didn't .

I'm also not saying I disagree with the OP's conclusions, I may question his level of experience putting them into practice but in general the tactics are sound. That said, locking the door is a basic precaution and instead of admitting he screwed the pooch on that one the OPs actually states that others were wrong to point it out.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

It might be a good deterrent to have a camera and a strobe light that flashes when ever some one approaches a door or window.
    Motion sensor lights are intimidating just innocently walking down the street and they come on just walking in the side walk in front of some ones drive way.
    I'm not rich, but do have cameras and motion sensor lights all around the house
    I build my systems a little at a time .
    If some one is ignoring the lights and cameras , either they are on drugs, or they have( in their mind) a well laid out plan .
    If there are more than one , my best strategy is to be in the center of the house, a gun in either hand, posed in opposite directions.

9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I want sprinkers tied into a motion detector.
    If I ever install sprinklers that will be why I have them. And for incase I set the yard on fire again while plasma cutting.

10. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Rotties are "usually" Lovely dogs, however ive been running into a few around here that due to simulare type/size/temperment im guessing are coming from the same breeder, they are highly strung /nervious agressive temperment & I would like nothing better than to go kick the **** out of the breeder who is producing these dogs :mad: (I know its not the owners creating the temperment as I know a couple of them well enough)

So My point was.. .If looking for a new dog, really check out the breeder & breedlines (goes for any & all breeds. Ive seen many more issues with agressive labs than I have pits.. ) Exspect to pay more for a well bred dog but dont assume that if the price is high, that the dog is going to be good cause from what ive seen a lot of the crappy breeders are quite happy to charge as much as the good breeders.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. Unique

Unique Monkey

A former employer had a fake security cam with red "on" light mounted on the wall pointed at the scrap metal bin. Thefts from the bin dropped to near zero after he did that.

When I'm out and about I watch for motion detector light because they let me know someone's in my AO

12. Imasham

Imasham Monkey

I would like a motion activated light but one that has a remote control so I can turn them off if I want to. I just have a gut suspicion that at some point I am going to want to get into my own home without all of the lights turning on as I approach my own entrance.

Motomom34 and Yard Dart like this.
  13. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

A switch in the shed or well house.... maybe the chicken coop, where you could bypass motion lights....and maybe other things. If someone took over your property, it would be nice to bypass certain things, like the well power or the house main power feed.... ;)

14. Imasham

Imasham Monkey

I found one! 156-LED Solar Flood Light With Remote Control - SMD LED

Now all I need is to find a MUCH cheaper version!!

Yard Dart likes this.
  15. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I believe there are devices that you can operate by your smart phone including cameras and lights , and if you can do lights you can operate any thing needing electricity, using a relay, even sprinkler systems.

16. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Nothing better to deal with Intruders, than a Good Sprinkler System..... Works good on BoyFriend Suiters for your Daughters as well....

17. Imasham

Imasham Monkey

18. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

[LMAO][winkthumb]:lol:
    You were one of those great devious Dads weren't you? Smart man!

19. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Are sprinkler systems really that big of a deterrent? The intruder is only going to get wet but a spotlight or motion light will illuminate which draws attention.

20. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If you doubt me, try it out, yourself.... Find a Sprinkler System, that operates on a timer, and go out and stand in it, until you are soaked thru... and then walk out, and stand around for 15 minutes... Then come back and tell us all how chilled you got, and how fast you headed home, for a HOT Shower.... They do NOT use Water Cannons for crowd Control just on a whim.....

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  1. oldman11
  2. deMolay
  3. Motomom34
  4. oil pan 4
  5. oil pan 4
  6. Dunerunner
  7. ED GEiN
  8. Yard Dart
  9. DKR
  10. Tyler Danann
  11. Motomom34