A Birthday Rememberance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RightHand, Dec 15, 2016.

1. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

My mother has been on my mind all day. Today would have been her 98th birthday. I doubt if there is anyone else left to remember this but it's an important day to me. You see, this was the woman who not only gave me life but taught me how to live it. By example, she taught me to be a mother and a grandmother. She tried her best to teach me to be a wife and any failure in that area is mine and mine alone. As she reminded me once when I told her how she should answer one of my dad's requests, she was the one who had stayed married for 66 years and so she might know a thing or two about the subject.

She was my cheerleader, the one who would forgive me just about anything, the person who let me know. even at times when I unwittingly hurt her, that I was not only loved but worthy of love.

As the years went by, she became my closest and dearest friend so when she died that Christmas Eve, some years ago, I lost the intimate presence of both of these people - the mother and the friend.

She was a woman of uncommon grace and gratitude; grace in her living and gratitude for the life she had been given. She lived her life without guile or pretense. Her generosity became legend and her spirit inspiration.

She was the model for the woman I have tried to be, the adventurer I want to be, and the elder sage I hope to be.

The hole that was left in my life when she passed from my earthly realm is vast and unfillable. But still she lives in my heart and is the angel who whispers in my ear, still guiding and encouraging me to move forward with firm steps through the sands of life.

2. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Nice post!!

RightHand likes this.
  3. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

A glowing tribute RH. I admire the relationship you had with your Mum, and the way in which you are able to put it into words.
    I've never been a wordsmith, but wish I was for times such as these:)

Sgt Nambu, Ganado and RightHand like this.
  4. duane

duane Monkey+++

Enjoyed the post and always thank the Lord for the parents, grand parents, aunts. and uncles that raised me.

Ganado and RightHand like this.
  5. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

God blessed you with a fantastic mother....and her with an exceptional daughter. May you be the woman she wanted you to be....and you the woman you aspire to be RH. :)

Sgt Nambu, Ganado, sec_monkey and 2 others like this.
  6. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Just thought about that the other day. If my father were alive, he'd be 98 (Dec 10). Nothing could've replaced his guidance. I've watched others who had complacent fathers end up in trouble with the law, themselves, drugs / alcohol, etc.

Sgt Nambu and RightHand like this.
  7. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Those of us who were fortunate enough to have strong parental guidance in our youth were able to enter adulthood with a sound foundation. The mistakes we made from that point on were our own folly.

chelloveck, kitty, sec_monkey and 4 others like this.
  8. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

That was very touching, RH! I lost my mom in 2007, on the 17 of December! I lost my lifelong, best friend on Dec 23rd, of the same year! Makes Christmas kind of tough, still! My mom was a strong woman, much like your mom sounds like, mentality, morally and physically! She was born on a homestead in Saskatchewan, during the '20s. She was a competitive target shooter, she could also hunt, dress, skin, process, can and cook any animal. She could yank and rebuild an engine, set a bone, grow and harvest wheat or vegetables. You just name it, she had and could do it! She, and dad, gave me a strong moral compass, sense of duty and honor! And, tried to make me a compassionate man! ;) That didn't "take" as well with me, probably because as I have mentioned, my dad was a charter subscriber to, "Disturbed Loner Magazine!" I miss her everyday and I'm pretty sure I always will! I also, appreciate her more everyday and I hope you will continue to feel the same about your mom! Bless both their souls! Have a terrific Christmas! SRG :)

Tully Mars, Yard Dart and RightHand like this.
  9. RightHand

Your mom sounds so much like mine I know they could have been friends. Mine taught me to grow and harvest, to cook and can, to gut and skin the game we shot. I watched her build a second floor dormer on our house, build stone walls, as well as sew, knit, crochet and weave. She rebuilt and old Indian motorcycle as a surprise for my dad. She was mother, nurse, teacher and friend to my handicapped brother until he died. I know that most of us think our mothers are/were more special than anyone else's, but as the years pass, remembering how much they enriched our lives allows the joyful memories to overcome the sadness of their absence. And Merry Christmas to you and yours, my friend

Tully Mars, chelloveck and Sgt Nambu like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7