A Book A Cook Does Not Make

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by WolfBrother, Feb 27, 2013.

1. WolfBrother

WolfBrother Monkey+++

Here is a list of books that I have and where you can find them.

The title of this post is a reminder that you need to practice what you read and if possible get some training.

A list of books you might want to have/read/study before bad times happen.

Survival and Austere Medicine: An introduction
    http://www.aussurvivalist.com/downloads/AM%20Final%202.pdf
    Where There Is No Doctor
    Where There Is No Dentist
    Books and Resources | Hesperian Health Guides

The Ship Captain's Medical Guide
    Ships Captain's Medical Guide

2007 Ranger Medic Handbook
    http://www.patriotresistance.com/Ranger_Medic_Handbook_2007_1_.pdf

Special Operations Forces Medical Handbook (Book Only Edition) (Ring-bound)
    Special Operations Forces Medical Handbook (Book Only Edition): Steve Yevich, Warren Whitlock, Richard Broadhurst, Gay Thompson, Pete Redmond: 9781893441545: Amazon.com: Books

Try to get the companion CD - the videos and pictures are worth the effort.
    If you have a PDA:
    http://www.findmysoft.com/pda_mobile/Special-Operations-Forces-Medical-Handbook-download.html

AND NOW:
    Special Operations Forces Medical Handbook, 2nd Edition (Paperback)
    Special Operations Forces Medical Handbook, 2nd Edition: Warner D. Farr, Leslie H. Fenton, Robert T. Clayton, Gay Dews Thompson, Holly Hardison Pavliscsak: 9780160808968: Amazon.com: Books

I have both (including the 1st edition companion CD).
    The 1st. has stuff the 2nd does not have.
    The 2nd. has stuff the 1st does not have.
    If you can affort it - my opinion - get both.

HOWEVER, the original Special Force's medical guide was completely supplanted by the SOF medical handbook noted above. The following are some quotes about the original SF manual:

I have that manual, it does contain useful information. HOWEVER, if you don't know what is or is not good information, you could wind up using the "potentially cause harm" stuff.

Fundamental Skills in Surgery [Hardcover]
    By Thomas F. Nealon, William H. Nealon
    http://www.amazon.com/Fundamental-Skills-Surgery-Thomas-Nealon/dp/0721664601/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232219916&sr=1-1ISBN-10 : 0721664601
    ISBN-13 : 9780721664606
    Binding : Hardcover
    Pages : 468
    Publisher : W.B. Saunders Company

Fundamental Skills for Surgery
    Richard Perry
    Fundamental Skills for Surgery: Iain Skinner: 9780074713358: Amazon.com: Books
    ISBN13: 9780074713358,
    ISBN10: 0074713353,
    Division: Professional,
    Pub Date: OCT-08,
    Pages: 320
    Edition: 02

Two sources
    Ditch Medicine
    Ditch Medicine - Advanced Field Procedures For Emergencies (1993)
    Ditch Medicine: Advanced Field Procedures For Emergencies (Paperback)
    Amazon.com: Ditch Medicine: Advanced Field Procedures For Emergencies (9781581603903): Hugh Coffee: Books
    Hugh Coffee
    ISBN-10: 1581603908
    ISBN-13: 978-1581603903

ALL of the following books are in use over the world by those who are not necessarily trained in surgery to perform any number of surgeries.

[Begin_My_Opinion]
    These 3 books are in the “Buy these to round out your already extensive Medical Library” category.
    They are a bit pricey. The wikipedia source for copy/paste into Word/Print is incomplete.
    [End_My_Opinion]

Primary Surgery: Non-Trauma v.1: Non-Trauma Vol 1 (Paperback)
    by Maurice King (Editor), Peter C. Bewes (Editor), James Cairns (Editor), Jim Thornton (Editor)
    Paperback: 656 pages
    Publisher: OUP Oxford; New edition edition (14 Jun 1990)
    Language English
    ISBN-10: 0192616943
    ISBN-13: 978-0192616944

Primary Surgery: Volume 1: Non-Trauma: Non-Trauma Vol 1 Primary Surgery Series: Amazon.co.uk: Maurice King, Peter C. Bewes, James Cairns, Jim Thornton: Books

Copy/Paste into word or print chapter by chapter - not all chapters are formatted nicely in the wikis:
    Volume I - Primary Surgery

Trauma: 2 (Primary Surgery) (Paperback)
    by Maurice H. King (Author)
    Paperback: 381 pages
    Publisher: OUP Oxford (22 Jan 1987)
    Language English
    ISBN-10: 019261598X
    ISBN-13: 978-0192615985

Primary Surgery: Volume 2: Trauma Primary Surgery Series: Amazon.co.uk: Maurice H. King: Books

Copy/Paste into word or print chapter by chapter:
    Volume II - Primary Surgery

Primary Anaesthesia (Primary Surgery) (Paperback)
    by Maurice H. King (Author)
    Paperback: 288 pages
    Publisher: OUP Oxford (19 Jun 1986)
    Language English
    ISBN-10: 0192615920
    ISBN-13: 978-0192615923

One additional book suggested by one whom I know to be knowledgeable. I do not have the book nor have I read it.
    It is on my list to get books.
    Atlas of Minor Surgery
    I.D. Cracknell & M.G. Mead
    Atlas of Minor Surgery (CG): Ian D. Cracknell, Michael Mead: 9780443053047: Amazon.com: Books
    Publisher: W.B. Saunders Company, 1 edition (June 1998)
    ISBN-10: 0443053049
    ISBN-13: 978-0443053047
    Pages: 86

Available in German as well: Kleine Chirurgie.: Ian D. Cracknell, Michael G. Mead: 9783456831312: Amazon.com: Books

2. phishi

phishi Psy-Ops Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Great list and disclaimer. What else do you have?

3. WolfBrother

WolfBrother Monkey+++

phishi,
    IF someone takes the time and effort to download, study, and practice everything in the manuals listed above - My Opinion - they'll have started looking/searching/finding books/manuals/classes specific to what they think they need to know.
    I was both a field and hospital medic. Before I was 19 I was working evenings/nights in an 8 bed surgical/coronary ICU. After that I was asst-NCOIC of the General Medicine (now known as Family Practice) clinic. The Drs there trained me to (within defined limits) diagnose and prescribe. When we got our first group of PA's, they took over what I was doing and I wound up asst-NCOIC for my shift in the ER. I stayed mainly in the trauma and cardiac rooms. Basically if I couldn't do it either the MOD would have to or we'd call the appropriate Dr in.

After the service I supported my family while in college working as a FFighter/EMT on a Rescue truck.

I've found that the 2 Spec Ops Med books, the Where there is No Dr, and the Ship Captains Med guide has kept me pretty much up on my knowledge.

There are a number of fancy, high dollar ways to dress and bandage a wound. I find that 2 Kerlix and a 6" elastic wrap in a vacuum sealed bag is an inexpensive alternative to the higher prices bandages.

4. phishi

phishi Psy-Ops Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

That is pretty much what I have collected, along with some wilderness medical manuals. Thanks again for posting.

5. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

The 'potentially cause harm' and warning about people who may not know what the proper usage of the information is reminded me of my mother telling me about someone in a chat room years and years ago spouting off their 'medical' expertise, and the person did have some knowledge, but unfortunately she said it was just enough to be dangerous, because they didn't understand the whole picture.

NotSoSneaky and kellory like this.
  6. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Thanks for the post.. Have a few of the listed manuals and have posted some others on SCRIBD.com.. Agree there needs to be a lot of caution exercised when using any information from text and a complete understanding of the information must be obtained.. Should also include additional research.. I am an RN and would no more try to preform surgery without a LOT more research...

NotSoSneaky likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7