A confession....

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by melbo, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

HAhahahahahaha! [ditto] [beat] [woot]

2. Valkman

Plastic barrel link? You gotta be kidding me - that's kind of a crucial part! Plastic triggers can be switched out with a good trigger that fits you fairly easily but I hadn't heard of plastic links.

3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Oh, I hear it's all the new 1911 rage.... Gonna try and sneak them into airports.... [peep]

4. Valkman

They do use lots of MIM parts also which aren't the greatest either. Anything to cut cost, I guess! Now that I did some work on a 1911 I'd be comfortable changing out parts, but even on my carry gun I just left 'em. I'll replace 'em if they break.

5. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

That's what I like about Baer, no MIM parts.

6. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Hey Melbo: Come back to the 1911!!! AT least an all metal frame gun [beer]
    darksidecookie_651.

7. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Matte 1991A1's I have bought had plastic triggers, I guess I started with the cheapest part to file and if it messed up, there area ton of after market Aluminum ones to tweak. As far As for plastic barrel link, no haven’t seen one.
    Are you talking about the Barrel bushing?
    Everything in side isn’t factory on mine. That’s the beauty of the 1911's they can be tweaked to fit 100% perfect which translates into making better shots.

8. melbo

You 1911 guys/gals flew this thread right into a tall buiding [troll]

9. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I am trying to find something nice to say about glocks.....they don't rust?
    for an ugly gun, they are reasonably priced? If you want a plastic gun that looks like a toy, glocks are ok? Glock...you won't use this one for a hammer? Glock...the Volvo of weapons? Maybe if they were made from steel and built on John Browning design, they would be pretty good guns?

10. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

Needs a bump [troll]

11. melbo

Thanks guys for all your brilliant and witty insight on my toys ;)

12. E.L.

You mean those black Tonka toys?

13. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

E.L. we all need a Tonko toy. After all didn't you play with them as a kid? I did and I'm a girl.

Then again I played with cap pistols and everything else. Probably scared my parents half to death with the stuff I got into.

14. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

[stirpot]

15. Valkman

Melbo is secretly a member at GlockTalk so he can get the support he needs. :lol:

Hey, want me to make you a plastic knife? :D

16. melbo

No thanks, I have a GLock Knife... and Shovel, lapel pin and sticker in the back window of the truck. Kit that comes with the fan club

17. E.L.

Confession, alas, I too have a Glock knife, and the little plastic Glock lapel pin too.
    [ditto]

18. Cousin Jack

Cousin Jack Knifemaker Founding Member

remember Niedermeier?...

What is that?!??! A Twisted Glock Pin!?!? On your uniform!?!?!?!?!?

You're a disgrace!!! You make me wanna puke!!! What do you want to do with your life!?!?...

melbo: "I wanna glock!" b::

19. E.L.

I had a great time in the 80's.............Twisted Sister, Dee Snyder.

20. Captain Boogie

Captain Boogie Monkey+++ Founding Member

Abuse-A-Glock

Now, how many people here would do this to their $1200 1911?

Seriously though, I hate the Glock, but, and this is a big but, I find it to be utterly reliable. It will put the rounds in the target, every time that I do my part. I have never gone to the extremes of the above link, but I have fired about 1000 rounds through a G19 without cleaning. The only problems were about 5 rounds that did not fire, however, it was PMP ammo, and I had the same rate of failure with that ammo in a Browning HP.

The Glock looks terrible and feels like a toy. But, when fired, it suddenly becomes a thing of beauty. I am reminded of the quote about mopeds and not letting your friends see you on them...

But, the fact is that you can get a .45 cal Glock, with light rail and night sites, for $600 (or less). How many utterly reliable 1911's w/ light rail and night sites are available for $600? None. How many utterly reliable 1911's are available for $600 period? Well, the Mil-Spec's, but I sure wouldn't call those tiny sites adequate.

So, it becomes a money issue. The wealthy dilettante purchases a $1500 pistol, then sits around at the club with other 1911 owners, all wearing ascots, smoking cigars, drinking brandy and chuckling about those poor fellows with the Glocks... [ROFL]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7