A couple things I've considered lately...

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Hispeedal2, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Wow..Man i would trade that one off or sell it...But thats just me...

2. oth47

oth47 Monkey+

I kept it about a week,traded it in..I didn't want it.

3. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

After a quick, cursory glance at the link to the 410 slug, I didn't see any reference to the barrel length for that energy. I'll try to look up tonight after work, unless someone looks it up before me :^)

Cephus likes this.
  4. NOWHITEFLAG

NOWHITEFLAG Live Free or Die Trying

The Judge .410/45 long
    The only real experince I have is I was at a shooting range about a year ago and the fellow in the booth beside me had one. I shoot a .45acp, At the 7 yard range we were pretty even hitting the target. At the 15 yard range I did better, right up to the point where I ask about the guns accuracy at that range. He smiled, loaded it with 00 buckshot instead of a .45 long and clobbered BCM of the target. I still prefer my 45ACP, But I have to give the Devil his due. Loaded with slugs or buckshot it would be hell on the target in front of it.

5. tommyboy4090

tommyboy4090 Monkey+

I had a magnum as well. I traded it for an even swap of a keltec p32 as a back up gun. I made a leather wallet holster so i can carry the p32 in my back pocket.

6. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

make sure that you cannot fire y9our keltech with out removing it from the holster or you are in violation of federal law and will need to pay $200.00 for an AOW weapons liscense...

7. tommyboy4090

tommyboy4090 Monkey+

I can't. You have to pull gun out to be able to fire it.

8. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

So your saying the P-11 I carry in my front pocket using a clip to hold it in and can be fired from my pocket is illegal? The feds can go to hell! Nothing against you, just sick of the BS.

9. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

The Bureau Of Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms (ATF) has decided that the Wallet Holsters which allow the gun to be fired while it is still in the holster, are now considered "Any Other Weapon" (AOW) The description of AOW is a device that is designed to not look like a firearm and yet fires a bullet. So the concept is that because it looks like a wallet and mugger may percieve it as a wallet as you are shooting him, the ATF thinks they should demand a tax on it. The tip up Berettas, the Seecamp, several other pistols, have holsters specifically designed for them.
    Now if you obtain one, you have to take it to a Class II manufacturer who fills out the appropriate paperwork and registers the weapon/holster combination as an AOW. The next step is to get the signature of a local law enforcement officer (Chief of Police or Sheriff), then get fingerprinted and send the whole thing off to ATF, along with (2) photographs of yourself, and $ 5.00 to cover the tax that is due.
    In a few months, they will send you a tax stamp that says you can own it. Now you go back to the Class II guy and pick it up. If you plan on carrying it on your person, make sure you have a copy of this documentation with you at all times. Each state has specific laws governing the ownership of these devices so you better check first to make sure you can legally own it before you plunk down your hard earned dollars.
    The paperwork is larger and harder to conceal than the gun! If you cannot find a Class II manufacturer in your area, the only alternative is to "make your own" AOW. This will cost you a whopping $ 200.00 to obtain the tax stamp. You cannot take possession of the gun and holster combination until you have been approved and have your stamp.
    If you really want one of these holsters, do your homework and check it out for yourselves. A Federal Criminal Charge is something most people can do without!!!!!!

If you have one don't carry it , there is no grandfathering it... probably best to destroy it.... or make sure that the matching firearm is not in the same building...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Read more: http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum...-wallet-another-great-idea.html#ixzz1Tzvdcjf6

10. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

They can still GO TO HELL!!!

E.L. and Cephus like this.
  11. Opinionated

Opinionated Monkey+

Umm, cool. But - seriously - how many Judge owners do you think plan to use exclusively slugs for self-defense?

. . not trying to disagree or argue. If anything just playing the devil's advocate for the sake of fostering thought and discussion. [beer]

12. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I'm going to guess that is the energy coming out of a shotgun (long barrel) as opposed to the short barrel of a revolver.

I'd guess it would be considerable lower like in the range of 200Ft/lbs based on a 120 grain slug exiting 4" barrel at 950 ft/sec.

If there were a chrono reading of muzzle velocity I could calculate but for now it's just an estimate. For point blank? I'd use it. Anything more than a few feet. I'll pass JMHO.

13. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I found this one:
    Testing the Taurus Judge with 410 ammunition

It indicates the short barrel provides ~350 ft/lbs. That is a bit less than a .45 ACP. Still pretty darn good, though. Size wise, I would rather carry something else.

Alas, I can't find anything the Judge is particularly good at.

Cephus likes this.
  14. tommyboy4090

tommyboy4090 Monkey+

A buddy of mine came over today and was telling me about the snake he shot with his judge the other day. He said at about 10 feet blew the snake completely in half with bird shot.

15. Opinionated

Opinionated Monkey+

Based on what I have been seeing on TV they do a pretty respectable job killing watermelons using special "defensive" ammunition too. [lolol]

16. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Some times the "criteria" is so high calibers which fought in war are barely adequate for home defense, go figure.

lol
    For hikers it would do well with snakes and the 45LC is an additive.

I get lost here; why would one chose the 410 for defense over the 45LC?

17. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Just seems to 'Me" that if one had a 45 LC Revolver, and put 4 rounds in 45LC, and then loaded up some cases with #7 Lead "Shot" with a felt Wad, and sealing Wax, over the Cartridge Mouth, you would have the Man Stopper, and Snake Rounds, in the same weapon, and only have to rotate the Cyl, depending where you were walking. You could easily distinguish, which was which, by loading the Lead in Brass Cases and the #7 Shot in Nickel Cases. You might just be able to find some of those 44 Mag Shot Loads in the Blue Plastic Carriers and transplant them into the Nickel 45LC Cartridges. ...... YMMV...

18. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

Below is a link comparing several different .410 slugs; he also approximates the muzzle energy for each (has chrony), but it's out of his 22.5" barrel.
    Velocity and Precision Testing of Select 410 slugs. Take 3 (looks like there's more than one article)

I couldn't find anything right off that would give muzzle velocity out of a short barrel (e.g. 5"), but I know it's a problem with other bullets like the 22 mag and the .223/5.56. I've seen talk of people wanting a 22 mag cartridge loaded specifically for pistols (esp. the Kel-Tec PMR 30). Also, there's been a great deal of research on shoring up the output of short-barreled M4 rifles because of the loss of energy. That's one reason pistol powder is different than long rifle powder.

Personally I think any one of the rounds in a short-barreled weapon is adequate for close-quarters defense (except maybe the 22 mag?). It's just easier for me to conceal my P-64, and it only uses 9mm Makarov...

19. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Mostly in the civilian sector. ;)

The profit margins are wide in tact-i-cool gear; plus one gets what they paid for, so everyone is happy.
    OTOH, that doesn't mean plain old hardball doesn't work quite well or that issue FMJ doesn't do the job.

Mk 262 Mod 0
    As they know how many 700m opportunities were presented in combat and they count holes in the 500m range targets after training. They know how many soldiers can hit at 500 in range conditions which means the military is a much harder sell.

The civilian defense sector is a lot more specification oriented. ;)

20. Prometheus

Prometheus Monkey+

Greetings all my name is Ernie glad to meet you. My son owns the judge long barrel and regrets buying it to this day, the accuracy lacks the gun is heavy and difficult to conceal without big clothes or a bag and now he has to worry about stocking two additional types of ammo that may not be readily available in the coming days. My kimber ultra carry weighs less has more bullets and is way easier to reload. Imho to depend on this gun to do double duty as a hunter and a defender is setting yourself up for disappointment in both catagories. As far as the lil 22 I guess any multi shot gun you could potentially hide in a body cavity could under the right circumstances prove to be rather useful

Just my two cents.....

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7