A Felon, on gun laws...

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by SonOtheSouth, Jan 25, 2013.

1. SonOtheSouth

SonOtheSouth Monkey

No... not asking anyone for permission. lol
    As stated above, I will seek the advice of a gun rights attorney. If he says I can have them, cool. If not, maybe he can help me obtain the right ( as if the right to bear arms isn't my right already )
    And if the answer is just a flat no.... then, IF I had any firearms I would "get rid of them"... until such a time when the poop hits the fan.
    And as for home protection, I guess I'll just have to go into 'viking mode'.

VisuTrac likes this.
  2. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Be sure to update us on your progress. I'd be interested to know. And be careful of going Viking there are blade length laws that apply to you Situation good luck !!!!!

CATO, VisuTrac and SonOtheSouth like this.
  3. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Despite Legalization, WA Continues Prosecuting Marijuana Cases - Reason 24/7 : Reason.com

Last May, a Bellevue police officer found seven grams of marijuana in the car of a 26 year-old tech-industry worker. There is no evidence driver, Aaron MacPhee, was high or drunk; he had no criminal history; he just had a few joints worth of pot.
    In November, voters voiced — no shouted — their disapproval of low-level marijuana possession charges. At least nine county prosecutors dismissed such pending cases after the election, citing the "will of the people," and acknowledging the difficulty of getting a jury to convict.
    But the case against MacPhee continues. On Tuesday, his attorney, Scott Leist, is arguing for a dismissal in the Bellevue division of King County District Court. He cites a 1934 U.S. Supreme Court ruling from end of alcohol prohibition, which tossed a criminal case against apparent bootleggers because prohibition was "deprived of force" by the end of prohibition.

Source: Seattle Times. Read full article. (link)

4. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

3cyl likes this.
  5. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Right, but I think what the point was--at least for me in relation to this post--was that there is the precedent to argue that the law he was arrested for has been "deprived of force" and that the sentence should be lifted.

So, if SonOfTheSouth was convicted of a drug crime similar to above, this situation could be used in a letter to petition the powers that be to have his record sealed/expunged . . . whatever, and to have his rights re-instated.

Anyway . . . that's what I was thinking--you could use abortion laws as an analogy when Roe v Wade was first passed.

6. Claymor

Claymor Monkey+++

SonOtheSouth, just for consideration, the FEDERAL Government does NOT consider a Muzzle-Loading Gun as a firearm for Prosecution Purposes. According to them, it is a non-gun. That is why black powder guns can be mailed directly to a non-FFL.

So, if you elected to have a cap & ball revolver, you would not be in violation of Federal Statutes. Some states have the same exemption; some do not. For example, Wisconsin's state law does not exempt Black Powder Guns. So you could be prosecuted at the State level, but not Federal.

Information that I have found on the Web indicates that Texas allows persons with a felony conviction to own Black Powder Guns, but I would check it out with your Attorney General's Office.

A good Piettra Remington .44 Cap & Ball Revolver with a Steel Frame can be found on Gunbroker for around $200.00. It may not be a Glock, but they stopped a lot of criminals in their tracks 150 years ago.

While it would be a bit of a hastle to keep ready, and you should fire and clean it weekly to have fresh powder in the gun, if you opened up on a threat with a Remington .44 Cap & Ball Revolver, he would either think that you were Real Serious or Real Crazy.

Obviously, if you are going to keep ANY firearm loaded, you should invest another $150.00 in a good nightstand gunsafe with a keypad.

SonOtheSouth likes this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Yep, I forgot all about the Black Powder Exemption, in the Federal Statute.... Good Catch @Claymor.... I have a Ruger Old Army .44 in stainless, just for that reason.... I can use it, as well as my .50 Hawkin and .50 Ted Fellows Trapper Rifle, to defend myself, even if I should become a Felon, down the road, GOD forbid..... I have been very impressed, with the accuracy, and Power, of ALL these non-firearms, in my practical shoots... Just understand, there is NO Hiding the Smoke Discharge from a BP firearm....

8. SonOtheSouth

SonOtheSouth Monkey

Yeah, that's true. I have owned a couple BP rifles that were extremely accurate. My Thomson Center Omega .50 cal. is amazing. I get 6" groups at 100 yds with open sights.
    Never owned a BP revolver though... maybe a good muzzle loading double barrel shotgun would be better. Or both !

But, I have to say in all honesty, the Thomson Center Omega is NOT legal for me... at least not outside of my home... because it is a modern 'inline' rifle. To fall under the exemption ( at least at the state level ) it must be an antique, or replica of an antique gun made prior to 1899 ( or some year close to that... not sure the exact year. ) But I didn't know that till after I bought it. I figured if I could purchase it, I could do whatever with it... not so.

9. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Do the BP revolvers, have removable cylinders? That would allow for a quicker reload. with extra cylinders ready to exchange.

10. SonOtheSouth

SonOtheSouth Monkey

Just found a 10 gauge double barrel BP Shotgun at cabelas... a nice saw job and we may have a winner. 10 gauge sawed off ?! damn...

11. kellory

make quite sure your barrel length meets the requirements of your area, or it will just as illegal as any other weapon. You will defeat the reason for going BP in the first place.

12. BTPost

The Ruger Old Army can be fitted with extra Cyls, however it MUST BE DONE by Ruger at the Factory.... Cyl timing needs to be hand fitted...

13. kellory

So, the factory can replace a cyc., but not exchange them in the field.

14. BTPost

No, they can be exchanged in the Field, it is just any NEW, or Replacement Cyl needs to be fitted, and timed by the Factory Techs... To the individual Revolver Frame... It is the same when a 22LR Cyl and 22Mag Cyl are fitted to a Single Six by Ruger...

15. kellory

I understand now, thank you for the clarification. So if our desperado chose to, he could have several cyc. fitted to his revolver, and could in theory, swap them out as needed like mags, should the need arise? Do the loads have a shelf life in the cylinders? what would be safe, and what would not? I am new to BP.

16. BTPost

I can only truly speak for TRUE BP, and NOT for any substitutes... When loaded in a Cyl, or weapon, that has a Cap on the nipple, and a projectile on the charge, BP is effectively good for MANY Decades... There are, and have been MANY instances of BP FireArms found to have been loaded during the Civil War, that just needed to be reCapped, to be fired. The same is true of cannons as well. BP that is sealed in from moisture is viable for a very Long Time. And yes, like in the Gold Field Movie, where Clint E. exchanged Cyl on his BP Revolver, for a quick reload, that is how it is DONE.

3cyl likes this.
  17. kellory

I thought so. there have been many firearms found in antique shops STILL LOADED, and no one knew!

18. Claymor

Claymor Monkey+++

Shelf-life in a loaded gun.

Actually, I had an experience with a repro .36 Navy years ago. I had it loaded up as a self-defense gun, and it was not inside. After a month, or so, I attempted to shoot it. I think that 2 chambers did not ignite, and the others were at/about 50% power.

Black powder is Hydroscopic.

I know of the stories of the rifle on the mantle for generations that went Kaboom when someone put a cap on it. Maybe so, but we do not know what percentage of full power that Kaboom was.

IF the gun was inside, and the humidity was kept below 40%, you might go for a month before rotating loads. If the gun goes outside, I would shorten that time considerably. (Besides, you know that you should practice with your defense gun several times per year.)

I would absolutely not use any of the substitures like Pyrodex or Triple 7. They are infamously unreliable to ignite, and I hear that they definately suffer from shorter shelf life than Black Powder.

Insofar as bobbing the barrel of a muzzle-loading shotgun, I would definately keep it over 18 inches. First, I do not know if the Machine Gun Acts of 1928 and 1934 make exceptions for Muzzle Loading Guns. And even if they do, if some ATF Agent hears that you have a short-barrel shotgun, he'll get a search warrant, and let you prove yourself innocent. Not worth the risk for a couple of inches.

19. BTPost

It really depends on the Cap, and how tight it fits on the nipple... A FlintLock is a whole different animal... And it isn't the Sulfur, or Charcoal in BP that makes it Hydroscopic, it is the Nitare Salt, and if the BP is corned properly, that cuts down BPs Hydroscopic tendencies, significantly... AND. The finer it is. powered, the easier that becomes. ....

20. Claymor

Claymor Monkey+++

BTPost. Not argueing with you. You're obviously knowledgable on the subject, but I'm going to bring up a "worst case scenereo" from real life.

In his book on fighting in the Civil War, Private Sam R Watkins (CSA) wrote of coming upon a band of Federalists in the rain. He related that, when he raised his rifle, his cap fired, but his powder did not ignite. 3 or 4 Yankees attempted to fire back, but had the same experience.

Captain Hume R Feild, commander of Watkin's company came upon them with his "seven shot rifle" (Spencer), fired and killed a Yankee, and that caused a route of the remainder of the Union Patrol.

Again, this was worst case scenereo, and the powder of 150 years ago may not have had as good of coating as modern fodder, but I like to learn from other folks first-hand experience in combat.

(Some of us learn from other people's mistakes. The rest of us ARE the other people.)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7