A few food storage questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ajax, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Ajax

Ajax Monkey++

Does sea salt need to be vacuum sealed for long term storage or can I leave it in its packaging?

Same question as above but for granulated sugar.

From what I remember cooking oils like Olive Oil and Peanut Oil all have practically indefinite shelf lives. Can I leave in bottle they came in or do they need to be sealed another way to keep that long?

How long will something like Krusteaze buttermilk mix or biscuick last if it is sealed in a mylar bag with O2 absorbers?

2. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Salt and sugar, no real need to seal, but it will prevent them from picking up moisture out of the air and getting rock hard....which you can "cure" with a hammer and mortar/pestal later to get it back to fine stuff. I don't seal mine....just stick it in a bucket with lid.

I think ALL oils do have a shelf life, but some longer than others. You can extend that by keeping them in a freezer if you have extra space.

I'd guess buttermilk or bisquick mix would go 5-8 years or more in sealed bag, and a cool location. Probably lose some nutrients, but still edible. I've opened sealed #10 cans of dry milk 11 years old that were fine.

3. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Keep the sea salt & sugar dry and it should be good to go for a long time. Vacuum sealing wont hurt, but may not be necessary if you use a sealed container with a desiccant. Just my opinion, I may be wrong.
    I've never heard of oils have an indefinite life, most (all?) will go rancid. Keep them cool and out of light to make it last longer.
    I'm not big on storing "pre-mixed" stuff like biscuick. I tend to make whatever they can make from scratch. The individual components can be used for multiple purposes. Don't know how long they would last repackaged with O2 absorbers.

4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

The only difference will be to protect the salt or sugar from moisture to prevent caking. They will store near indefinitely.

Any pancake mix and such will lose nutritional value over time, perhaps a few years it will begin to lose value, but will store near indefinitely if kept moisture free and out of heat. Some precaution might be taken with these if they have powdered milk or butter, but I am no expert at this. I would still eat it after 5 or 6 years though.

5. Ajax

Ajax Monkey++

Thanks for the info.

Ahhh, I thought I had read that veggie oils would last a long time but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Is there a cooking oil that has a good long term shelf life?

Update: Looking around and it seems like Shortening like Crisco or a much better option IMO Coconut Oil are better for long term storage. Canned Ghee looks like it may be good too. Anyone have more to add about these or other oils for long term storage?

6. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Only problem with Crisco is it's about one molecule away from being axle grease.....not the stuff you really want to eat.

7. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

Salt and I think maybe sugar were sold in cones in the old days.It was formed with water into a cone and dried for easy sale and storage you flaked or graded off what you needed. So moisture may be a problem or a storage solution.

8. Ajax

Ajax Monkey++

I agree, I would rather go with Coconut oil for sure, maybe the canned Ghee but I don't know much about that yet, not sure about the taste.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7