A gift for kid going to boot?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sherman, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Sherman

Sherman Dog Eat Dog

The kid that works for me joined the Marines and is headed to boot camp after the new year.
    I'd like to get him something, poor kids family has cut him off. Whats something a guy could really use that he doesn't get issued for his new job? besides long sleeve skivvy's and pmags?

2. Joseph Thomas

Joseph Thomas Monkey+

It is a small thing but a liitle personal hygiene kit with toe and fingernail clippers, sharp small scissors, etc is always well used. A little sewing kit you can get from some surplus stores is also useful.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yep, all good. But, FWIW, when I was in, they issued everything you need to get thru boot including hygiene requirements and sewing kit, all but a toothbrush. I'd be inclined to hold off until he gets to his first command, and go from there. What he'll need will be very different from one command to the next.

Do a send off party for him, that'll mean a lot.

4. Joseph Thomas

Joseph Thomas Monkey+

Yeah Ghrit my advice is dated from the 70's. I'm sure things have gotten better as far as supply goes. A send off party is a good idea or you could wait till he got to his unit after basic and advanced and buy him something a little more pricey that might not be issued that he could really use in a combat environment. It is a good thing you have the intent Sherman.

5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Yeah, a party is nice. And if you really wanted to get him a gift, think about the number one morale booster in basic -communication. Back when I was in basic, there were no cellphones...but today it is commonplace although regulated in the first few weeks. If he doesn't have a good cellphone or a phone plan, that would be HUGE. The only other thing I can suggest is a GOOD pair of running shoes -sometimes the PX doesn't have a good selection and if he is left with choosing what is there, he may be left with substandard running shoes. As far as I know, the military still isn't issuing running shoes. Second, don't get caught up in giving him anything that will be confiscated. The contraband list might not be as big as it was a couple decades ago, but it is still important to remember. Like what has already been said, everything he really needs will be provided and with his first pay he will be allowed to visit the PX to pick up anything else.

6. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

+1 for the cell phone.... my nephew took new running shoes and they had him buy new ones to match everyone elses.... Don't send him a package of goodies with a Go Army sticker on it, Addressed to CSM (fill in name here) or one with a return address for the Comadant USMC... for some reason DI's lack a certian sense of humour...;)

7. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

When I was in there were no cell phones. Pay phones had hellishly long lines, when phone privs were granted. My grandmother (rest her soul) got me the best gift a recruit could ask for, at that time. A roll of stamps and an address book. I could always write a letter, it may be a bit old fashioned now, it may even be considered out-dated. It never took away that feeling that someone, anyone wanted me to write and be in communication with them. Also, it was always great to get a reply letter at mail-call, and I carried the letters that meant the most with me from place to place. I also have my father's (rest his soul) letters from his time in-service, my grandmother saved every one of them.

8. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Just a couple of years ago (or so); there was no communications allowed at Army boot camp (don't know about Marines). I sent self-addressed, stamped envelopes, each with blank paper inside.

After basic, more freedoms arise and he can communicate what he needs at that point.

9. Gafarmboy

Gafarmboy Monkey+++

words from MY Boot

The Nephew I raised did an extended vacation at Paris Island. (He called it a vacation because he thought that he was going to leave the hard work and rigors of our small family farm behind. [LMAO] ). While at boot he was not allowed to use any phones except those at the base exchange. The Corp provided everything he needed while he was there. By the day of his graduation, He did not even want the cakes and such that his Aunt Alie had cooked. What the young man likes going in, may not be what he likes when he comes out.

The going away party is a great Idea.

Be blessed, Be Vigilant
    Gafarmboy

10. Joseph Thomas

Joseph Thomas Monkey+

Good for her. My Dad was a WWII vet who was in the infantry in Europe and the Pacific. All the letters he wrote were never kept and are probably gone now. I wished I had just one of them. When I went into the service my Dad would sit down religiously every Sunday night and write a letter to me. I am very lucky to be able to pass them down to my sons one day. I was so very lucky to have such a humble and gentle hero. So I would recommend this. E-mails and telephone calls don't bear the the test of time. A hand written letter does.

11. Sherman

Sherman Dog Eat Dog

I dont expect he will need anything while in boot, his friends will be throwing him a party.
    I'm not sure what to give him but something a soldier would appreciate. Especially this time of year when I remember my cousin Corporal Michael D. Anderson Jr.
    Killed In Combat Action on 14 Dec 2004, during Operation Phantom Fury aka Battle For Fallujah. 3rd Bn/5th Marine Regiment RCT-1 Kilo Co. 1st Mar Div Camp Pendleton.

We buried him 2 days after Christmas.
    [​IMG]

12. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Most personal items tend to be confiscated and placed in storage during Boot - at least that's what they did when I went in back in the late 70's.....

But for after, a small digital camera would be great! Wish I had carried a camera all the places I went. Occasionally I did have a little '110' camera, but then I had to find places to have the film cartridges processed. But, I missed a LOT of really great photo ops.....

13. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

We weren't issued squat for personal hygiene items at basic. I was at Ft Sill back in '89. We had to sign for everything at the PX and it all came out of our first pay. I was very surprised as I had been told that I didn't need to bring anything to boot camp. Everything, and I do mean everything, we did bring went into our duffel bags and was locked away. So anything you give them to take may wind up under lock and key until they get out anyway. We were allowed care packages though and several people did get some small personal items in them.

Was in with the 'house mouse' though so I was able to get my contacts & solution out of storage within the first few weeks. Good thing none of the DI's noticed I wasn't wearing my BC's later on!

Byte

14. enough

enough Monkey++

My brother is deploying to the stan in a couple weeks. It will be his first deployment, as he just completed basic a couple weeks ago. I would like to give him something that is useful, and preferably something that will help to protect his life. I considered upgrading his armor.

However, on the sly we were discussing it, and he insists that its not necessary. I guess he just got brand new kev/ceramic plates front and back, and kev side panels.

Thoughts? He is infantry, on a mortar team. He is going to be traveling with mobile armor, mainly strikers. At least that is what he is thinking.

I have about a week and a half to pull something together. Money is not a consideration. Please help me out folks, I need it.

15. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I picked up one of these for my son in the Special Forces....

Rescue Knife - Extrik-8-r - CRKT

usable for cutting paracord if you jump, and belts/straps/ clothes if you need to remove them in a hurry... works freat for opening clothes around wounlds or removing body armor ASAP if needed... also has a few tools attached

16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I remember discouraging my family from sending me "stuff" because I had to hump it on moves. However, a box of goodies was always welcome once on station. Nothing, absolutely nothing, beats mail from home. (No, there wasn't any internet in those days. But the web can't carry G-ma's cookies.) Wait until his boots are on the ground, and he has a better idea of what hardware he wants or needs. Then flood him with foodie stuff.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7