A Gun in the House...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CRC, Jun 4, 2008.

1. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

From my 84 year old Dad...

:)

"A Gun in the House:

The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

1. Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

2. If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

3. I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

4. When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.

5. A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him 'Why do you carry a 45?' The Ranger responded, 'Because they don't make a 46.'

6. An armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.

7. The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?' 'No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle.'

8. Beware the man who only has one gun. HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

But wait, there's more!

I was once asked by a lady visiting if I had a gun in the house. I said I did.

She said 'Well I certainly hope it isn't loaded!'
    To which I said, of course it is loaded, can't work without bullets!'
    She then asked, 'Are you that afraid of some one evil coming into your house?'
    My reply was, 'No not at all. I am not afraid of the house catching fire either, but I have fire extinguishers around, and they are all loaded too.'

To which I'll add, having a gun in the house that isn't loaded is
    like having a car in the garage without gas in the tank.

I'm a firm believer of the 2nd Amendment! If you are too, please forward."

I love my dad... :)

2. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

[applaud]

3. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

IMHO an unloaded gun is just an exspensive baseball bat. [beat]

OGM

4. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

#1 is my favorite since I've gotten older and crippled up. If a young tough wants to beat me up he will get shot - I'm not fighting anyone anymore.

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Talked to my father about this sort of scenario at one point years ago. At that time, he was in his 60s, and he said he thought he was smart enough (if anyone could do it, he could) to talk any goon out of anything serious. I disagreed, but kept my cake hole closed. Since then, as I've aged, I've come around to the conclusion that talking isn't worth the effort, and that the chance I could beat up on a couple hoods is pretty slim.

#1 also. BANG, says me.

The rest of the post seems spot on no matter how old or young one might be. Carrying just makes sense.

6. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Yup. I figure the unloaded gun is actualy more like if you had the fire extinguishers unloaded. At least if the car dont have gas you are more likely to have time to go get gas for it.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7