Second Amendment A little common sense goes a long way......

Discussion in 'Bill of Rights' started by tulianr, Jun 9, 2013.

1. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

State took guns of man for mischief night egg fight - Connecticut Post

State took guns of man for mischief night egg fight
    Ken Dixon
    Updated 12:41 am, Saturday, June 8, 2013
    EXCERPTS:
    HARTFORD -- A longtime gun owner who recently had his permit revoked over a 1971 Halloween egg fight was the inspiration for an amendment to the state's new gun law.

James E. Gorham, a 61-year-old Norwalk gun collector and target shooter, received a letter in January ordering him to turn in his guns; his one instance of teenage mischief disqualified him from legal gun ownership.

"I was first contacted by the Norwalk Police Department before I got a certified letter from the State Police," said Gorham, a businessman. "It was a real surprise. They told me I had been involved in domestic violence and I told them, `You've got the wrong person.' "

The letter referred to a misdemeanor charge for the egg fight, for which Gorham paid a $10 fine when he was 19.

So Gorham, manager of customer service and sales for the Norwalk Compressor Co., turned in his seven handguns to state police at Troop G in Bridgeport.

But his plight caught the attention of House Minority Leader Lawrence F. Cafero Jr., R-Norwalk, who successfully introduced a change in gun legislation that will allow people like Gorham, with lower-level misdemeanors adjudicated before 1994 that do not involve drugs or firearms, to hold onto their guns.

The issue surfaced last year, when the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre in Newtown sent law enforcement officials scouring through firearms records.

In January, state police ordered Gorham to surrender all his guns because they discovered a "misdemeanor handgun disqualifier" during a routine criminal background check after he used a gift certificate his wife gave him at Christmas to purchase a new new Smith & Wesson .380 revolver.

Even though he had no other criminal record and had held valid permits for more than 35 years, police discovered the third-degree assault arrest from his October 1971 mischief night egg fight in Westport, where Gorham went to high school.

Similar seizure letters have gone out to other gun owners, but Lt. J. Paul Vance, spokesman for the state police, said last week he doesn't know how many people were contacted or how many guns have been turned in.

"I haven't a clue," said Vance, who declined to talk specifics about Gorham because of confidentiality requirements and wouldn't confirm that photocopies of the seizure orders were authentic.
    State took guns of man for mischief night egg fight - Connecticut Post

2. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Not surprising that states with the worst BS gun laws are looking to take your guns for almost any reason.

3. Icefoot

Icefoot Monkey+

And he turned them in with out a fight. Didn't expect him to barricade himself in his house, but come on. At least challenge the order before rolling over and showing your belly...

Yard Dart and Mountainman like this.
  4. How does that even qualify as domestic violence by any known legal interpretation (of domestic violence statutes)?

Icefoot likes this.
  5. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Our son's truck was egg'd last weekend- there will be violence if he finds them little b_astards back in the area....
    But what this guy did has no merit in a domestic violence type of charge. There must be more to the story... maybe he hurt a family member by accident and the cops just wanted to document it...not seeing down the road that this would be another method for abuse of our laws by politicians out to strip our rights.
    Either way he turned in his guns way to easily in my book!!

Icefoot likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7