A little hunting....

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by Andy the Aussie, Feb 4, 2022.

1. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

...... nominally chasing deer but really too early in the season for a buck and too freaking hot for taking and keeping meat. So ended up just shooting a few hogs and taking in the world.

Up high on the western side of the property looking almost due east.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

....there are about 13 hogs out in the middle of the green down on the flats. Our hut is down there to the north.

Sitting in the shade looking for deer.......ended up snotting three hogs from this spot....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

VisuTrac, Mountainman, 3M-TA3 and 8 others like this.
  2. Andy the Aussie

Lots of rain up there...... this is where water came down the hillside in a spot it never has before, record rains here over the last few months.

[​IMG]

General fine dining ..........

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Snake wrangling attire....
    [​IMG]

...... so with all the weather the grass/weeds etc are all running about waist to chest high on me (I am six one) so being summer and freaking hot it gets the heart rate up when you can't see where you are stepping. And yes we did have a number of issues with No Legs visitors there on the verandah

Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
    VisuTrac, Mountainman, 3M-TA3 and 9 others like this.
  3. Andy the Aussie

I did find an interesting "trophy". This was in waist high grass and I knew it was a buck because the skull was sitting up. Had to carefully wade through the grass to get it and when I did I realised that it was a good sized buck that had gotten a big length of old No8 fencing wire wrapped around it's antlers, it also looks like one loop got below it's jaw/neck and was probably what killed it, poor bugger....

[​IMG]

And a few more pics of it I took back at the hut....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Andy the Aussie

Back there in March when it is cooler with a few less snakes thanks.

5. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Another excellent post by Andy the Aussie.

6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Ah, Very nice Andy, Life is one big adventure and I see you're enjoying yours plenty.
    Shame about the buck getting caught up in the wire, He was a nice one!

Dunerunner likes this.
  7. Andy the Aussie

Thanks both !!!

Yes that buck was in the "trophy" range already. Had he survived another season he would have probably been an excellent head !! Many people have taken one that size and been more than happy with it.

I have to clean it up a little and figure out how to mount it to a plaque yet. That said it has already been banned from inside the house... ;)

8. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

You can tell my predilection for firearms as I looked at the pic of the hog, I initially didn't see it and was focused in on the rifle with a very nice piece of glass mounted on it.. Great post @Andy the Aussie

9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I had used a cypress butt for my Euro mount similar to this, About 3 in thick, Just to give you ideals.

20220205_180102.

VisuTrac likes this.
  10. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

Beautiful countryside.
    What caliber rifle were you using?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. Andy the Aussie

Thanks all.

Rifle is a Sako AII action that started life as a .22/250 before being shot out (think smooth bore) and bounced around in a farm truck. My guess is it was made around 1982 or 1983. I date it because I have another AII in .22/250 I bought new in 1983 that is 300 different in serial number to this one. I bought it from the neighbours of a property I hunt in the far west here.

It is now a .308Win with a Tober (Snr) barrel, an Australian maker, McMillian stock and Leupold 2.5-8x. The load I mostly run in it is a 165gn Nosler Ballistic Tip over AR2208 in a Winchester case with Remington LR primers. Generally gives me around .5MOA so I see no need to experiment more.

Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  12. Andy the Aussie

Oh yes, if it looks “compact” it is sporting a 21inch barrel. I wanted something for my walking around rifle and in the near 17yrs I have been using this one it has excelled!! If I need more legs I have a .300Win with a long tube that I throw 180gn Ballistic Tips and Accubonds with ;)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7