A Martin in the house/ or a new way of trapping

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by alaskachick, Jan 18, 2015.

1. alaskachick

alaskachick A normally quiet snow monkey

I woke up two nights ago to very light paws on top of my quilt. And what to my wondering eyes should appear but a very curious little Martin! For those of you who don't know what they are, they are in the mink family and run about twice as big. This guy was still pretty young. He took off when I started to move, so I got up and woke the old man up because I wasn't sure I could herd this guy outside by myself. All this time I am trying to figure out how in the heck he got in. All this time he was not aggressive at all, just seeming very curious in these tall creatures who are using a mop handle to herd him out. After trapping him in the pantry, I closed the inside door and went out around the house, to open the outside door and then the old man was to bang on the inside door, to scare the critter outside. No going, this guy had found the mother lode, the cat food, the cookies and I am outside in my skivvies! So back inside, I then take the flashlight and hold it along the mop handle assault weapon style. After much prodding and pushing the little guy takes off into the dark. I followed to see where he went and it appeared he took off for the beach. Ahhhhhhh so I wish. I was helping the old man back to his chair to try and get a little more sleep. The persistent feller was climbing right back up the radio antennae just outside the window by the chair. I threw a sock at the window, a plastic measuring cup, I moved up and knocked on the window, he was going to get in again. Not knowing exactly where this guy was getting in, I closed all room doors to help isolate where he was infiltrating our defenses. Then settling down to get another hour of sleep, and just I was drifting off, the old man says, " He's back!" He had come into the office area and walked across the keyboard of a sleeping lap top. Peeking out from behind the iMac , he was kind of cute. Again for anyone who may not know these critters, they can be very, very destructive. Once they find a way inside they mark it and invite their Martin buddies to join in on the free lunch. I have seen empty cabins totally trashed, unlivable until a major clean out and restoration has been done. It is truly amazing the kind of devastation they can accomplish in a short amount of time.

I had known he would be back and as I was laying down earlier I was figuring out how I would make a run and trap the hungry guy in the kitchen. The trick, make a run with a 2x4 that ends in the air, the trap is set and bait put on the end. The Martin runs up the board trips the trap and they both fall into the air, the trap is attached to the board by a chain, so if the original trip doesn't break the martins neck, the jerk of the falling trap/Martin will finish the job. Clean kill.

Well our furry friend is back and not wanting to go outside again. He makes his way back to my bedroom, lots of cover in there. . The old man gets the 22 pistol for the only solution we have now. Neither of us have our glasses on, the gun is on safe????? It's gets a little bit funny at this point, these two old people trying to outsmart the young Martin. After a close miss because I moved and spooked him, Bt makes a clean kill with the next shot. Right behind the ear, the Martin is down and out immediately. He won't bring in much money due to his size but the pelt will be usable due to great shot placement. In this pic he looks pretty bad but is just wet because I put him outside the back door until sunrise.

image.

image.

2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Did he stink on ya after you shot him?

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Nope, just died, right there....

4. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Did you find the point of entry?

5. alaskachick

He was in
    stantly down and out.

6. alaskachick

That's what I tried to let you see in the head shot, right behind the ear

Dunerunner likes this.
  7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Did you find the point of entry....of the house?;)

KAS and Dunerunner like this.
  8. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

And a joyous din from the red squirrel community raises from in the bush. That and they saw where Mr. Martin got into the house.

9. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

2 shots! 1st one a clean miss. Can't find your glasses. Some prepper you are. We are going to have to dock your pay for that wasted cartridge. Square yourself away man.
    lol, :D

Yard Dart likes this.
  10. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Good thing it wasn't rabid and in a gnarly mood.

pearlselby likes this.
  11. BTPost

But he had Fleas.... All these critters have them.... Older, more than younger.... He is in the Freezer, to kill off those vermin, then thaw him out, and Pelt, him..

12. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

one word... GUMBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

13. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

damn KAS, is there anything y'all won't eat?

tedrow42, Motomom34 and kellory like this.
  14. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Probably not.......... they will stew up almost anything.... ;)

KAS likes this.
  15. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

if its back faces the sun it goes in the pot...

VisuTrac, Motomom34 and Yard Dart like this.
  16. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

See.... they are well fed down yonder... just enjoy the food and do not inquire as to what is in the pot. ;)

KAS likes this.
  17. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

tony's ït makes every thing taste good"

tedrow42, VisuTrac and Yard Dart like this.
  18. BTPost

Johnnie's Seasoning, Lee & Perins, and a dash of Heinz57, will make ANYTHING palatable....

KAS and Yard Dart like this.
  19. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

Cant say I've ever tried eating mink....
    Since he was roaming around the house, might not be a bad idea to check any pets for ticks too...

Motomom34 likes this.
  20. BTPost

No pets here, since the Kitty bought the Farm two years ago.....

Mindgrinder likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7