A new or different take on composting toilets

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by DKR, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

You treat yours with rid-x or perhaps yeast?

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

No treatment at all.

FWIW, my parents went 20 years without pumping, and (so far) I'm on 10 years. The very ONLY things that go to mine are pee, tp, shower drains and turds along with washing machine discharge and kitchen sink washing. VERY careful not to directly put grease down the drains. Wipe out pots and pans with paper towels before washing, put paper aside to burn. Should be good to go until the house is auctioned off when I turn toes up.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    Ganado, chelloveck and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

My dogs wipe out the gresse from the insides of the pots and pans.

Ganado, 3cyl, chelloveck and 3 others like this.
  4. ghrit

One is named "cold water"?

Gator 45/70 and chelloveck like this.
  5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Dog spit and dog tongue precleans pans great considering 0 effort on my part.

Gator 45/70 and oldawg like this.
  6. alaskachick

alaskachick A normally quiet snow monkey

The previous owners of my new place installed a composting toilet before they left. I love it! It is in its own house (I call it my princess castle) . There is no smell what so ever. I am looking at moving the castle down and making it part of the inside plumbing with access to the composter part on the outside of the house. For now it stays where it is as I have too many other projects to finish right now.

SB21, oldawg, chelloveck and 3 others like this.
  7. ghrit

I was wondering what the heating plan looked like. {smirk}

Gator 45/70 and alaskachick like this.
  8. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Im doing a little research on composting toilets,, not a whole lot of info on them here on the forums ,, as best i can tell looking at the forum on this stupid phone,, but , if you have any info on your composting toilet, name brand and likes or dislikes about it would be useful. thank you.

9. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

There may not be much info about composting toilets at survival monkeys, but there's a lot of info about them on the internet, especially youtube...will dig up some links for you. There are commercially made products, though contructing one from scratch with recycled or store bought materials from a hardware store is feasible, if somewhat more effort may be required.

SB21 likes this.
  10. chelloveck

There's a wide variety of composting toilet systems, ranging from small systems suitable for an RV, boat or tiny house, to conventional sized systems suitable for most domestic dwellings, to large systems designed for public toilets and commercial. buildings.

Compost Toilet Condensed Instruction manual.

Humanure Handbook – Free Download - The Permaculture Research Institute

Humanure Handbook : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

this should get you started...so to speak, at least in understanding the principles upon which humanure composting works. Just be aware that local government authorities may have some involvement in regulating domestic installations, particularly in urban and suburban jurisdictions...rural areas may be somewhat more flexible in that regard...check before installing a domestic system...conditions may apply.

11. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Thanks,, haven't been to utube yet ,, but started looking on the net for different store bought options.. I may have to go with an Incinloet type system.. I'm looking at possibly having to use that in place of a septic system. Theres a lot of areas where I may be wanting to put a small house that will not perk ,, so I'd have to try and squeeze this option thru the county building offices.

12. chelloveck

You may have better luck with a commercially manufactured solution that has found wide acceptance, particularly by local government authorities...a DIY solution may face additional compliance hurdles and intrusion, particularly in urban/suburban jurisdictions. YMMV in the boondocks.

13. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Based on years ago observations of incinolet in various forms in the dry areas of Oregon, you won't care for the stink. Composting was (back then) a far better, less intrusive option. Just make sure the composter bin is sized correctly.

14. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I use RidX in my septic tank and it's never needed to be pumped out.
    Fact is, if the toilet gets slow I pour RidX in and let it compost the clog in the toilet and it clears right up.

15. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

The USAF had a bunch of these at remote RADAR sire (SEEK IGLOO) for the so-called Top Camp (RADAR site, no living facilitates. The domes had a case of C rats - later MREs and 20 gallons of water in case a storm trapped you at the dome. All had so called Turd Toasters. Nasty stuff. I noted the resident staff almost always had a bucket and a couple of boxes of trash bags on hand.

It wasn't so much that they didn't work - it was when they didn't work the last user got to clean up the mess and make the fix...

SB21 likes this.
  16. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I'm thinking if I can just get the county to give me the O.K. on the Incinolet , or something similar,, and get the ok on some grey water drainage,,, once they're off my back , I can dump the crap in a metal bucket, stir in some mogas,, and a few limbs and burn the crap every week or so. Stack me some sandbags ,, throw a match in the bucket,,, stir it a few times ,, sit behind the sandbags with the AR,, and have a few flasbacks ,,, and good times for all ,,,,,

DKR likes this.
  17. alaskachick

alaskachick A normally quiet snow monkey

Sorry to be slow in reply, you probably have bought and installed one by now. ;) I will get you the info. next week when I get home (yea!!!) I think it’s a SunMar. The compost that came out of it last year was sweet. I really like not having to worry about supplying water to a flusher. Also the whole septic system and headaches with that make me glad I have the composting one. It requires that you turn the drum every other day to keep things aerobic, I think of it as my morning exercise, except it’s easy. All access to the “working “ parts will remain accessible from outside the cabin.......... I think ;)

Gator 45/70, SB21 and chelloveck like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7