A nice tomahawk crafted from a railroad spike.

Discussion in 'Blades' started by chelloveck, Jan 3, 2014.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

375f0bfcefd61801940e70494c5c62dc.

Via: Products

2. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Chel, you do that? Mighty nice work.

3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

No, -06, unfortunately not. Follow the link below the image. I am not sure, but I think the crafter makes bespoke blades, of which that is one. I saw it and thought that others here would appreciate and enjoy its beauty.

4. bassic

bassic Monkey+

Saw a video of a blacksmith test where the apprentices were given a spike and told to make a T-hawk out of it. Pretty awesome, this one fellow had it down pretty nicely...the making of the hole for the handle to go through, using only a hammer, was exceptionally neat. Had no idea how that was done, pretty tricky. His used the "head" side of the spike for the blade, and the "pointy" side for a spike. Blade was about 3-4" edge when he was done!

Bear and kellory like this.
  5. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

got a link for that video? might be fun to watch that, we have some fine blacksmiths on this site.

6. kellory

I found this one interesting to watch.

Bear, chelloveck and Jeff Brackett like this.
  7. bassic

bassic Monkey+

That's pretty close to the same thing I saw...same method. I was searching for the link I saw it on, no idea where it went. It was about 5 or so years ago that I saw it. The one I saw was a lot shorter (condensed for time, I think). If I recall correctly, it was taken at a Renaissance Fair.

8. kellory

I have done quite a few Renaissance Fairs. they seemed to have their goods already finished before they arrived.

9. bassic

bassic Monkey+

I think the guy I saw used the end of the anvil to drift out the hole in the middle, IIRC.

That's a great skill to have in a post-modern world, I think.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2014
    Bear, chelloveck and Jeff Brackett like this.
  10. Georgia_Boy

Georgia_Boy Monkey+++

Chelloveck, great post, Thank you. I have two friends that are knife collectors and I believe they will enjoy Pierce's creations. Brilliant work.
    GB

chelloveck likes this.
  1. Motomom34
  2. Ganado
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Ganado, Nov 22, 2016, 21 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  3. Ganado
  4. chelloveck
  5. chelloveck
  6. Ganado
  7. Ganado
  8. lonewolf88
  9. Witch Doctor 01
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Witch Doctor 01, Sep 20, 2015, 12 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  10. Hanzo
  11. Bear
  12. Motomom34
  13. Bear
  14. Brokor
  15. Brokor
  16. Brokor
  17. Brokor
  18. Falcon15
  19. Brokor
  20. Brokor
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary