A Noticable Trend - Advice Giving

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ganado, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Excellent discussion. New members are valuable. I look upon each new member as an asset who can possibly bring something new and undiscovered to the forum. If, by simply engaging in discussion, they sometimes bump heads, we members need to try our best to identify and recognize the situation, and continue to promote honest and civil exchange of information. It's not easy being the new kid on the block --some try harder than others and have a tough time fitting in. I challenge every new poster to seek out a small corner of the forum and post what is on their mind. You can give a gear review, write about your favorite author, post about events and philosophy, science, education, gardening, just about anything you like. Nobody must be an "expert" to post about what they enjoy.

For the few members who may belittle a new poster, or at the very least appear to be doing so, there are many more here at the Monkey who have your back. Just remain civil --and for crying out loud... add pictures and links to your content! ;)

kellory, Ganado, melbo and 3 others like this.
  2. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I'm not sure as I'd go so far as to call him brother. Maybe more of the eccentric uncle we all have but don't talk about much.

Ganado, melbo and Yard Dart like this.
  3. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

All very excellent posts on this subject and I have wanted to punch the "like" button on each post. I had many mental replies while reading them all and will have to post them when things are clearly formed in my mind. One thing is that a lot of new people may not post, they lurk! They may just want to get a feel for the forum and those that frequently post here. Everyone that has posted right here is the "face" of Survivalmonkey! A personal observation is that as the core group, you all reply in an informative manner and let new people "feel" welcome.

4. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

AND this thread shows EXACTLY the way our community is and should continue to be. biglaff

Gator 45/70, Ganado, melbo and 2 others like this.
  5. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

good thread ganado..
    I have infact not responded to peoples questions because of the fact that i knew i could not handle people telling me they "dont think it would work "when i know from experience it will...

Gator 45/70, kellory, Ganado and 2 others like this.
  6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@yard_dart. You know me and @Mindgrinder are teasing? He understands when I call him a troll that I'm teasing him. It's why he taunts me back. Neither of us is offended. I would not tease everyone on this forum like that. But grinder and I have talked and we understand each other. I know he is a hyperactive, bear feeding, smart idjut. ;) I'm so glad he's back!

7. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

You are probably the best example of a "highly contributing" "new member" worth keeping around.
    You can speak from experience on feeling "unwelcome" and harrassed by overzealous moderators with threats of bans and warnings for petty shite. I'm only "back" while Melbo is active and around...his leadership seems to keep them in check...

Gator 45/70, Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  8. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Sorry if you have felt unwelcome. I think we're pretty all inclusive as long as people are respectful of other members. It is difficult for moderators to get in tune with all the different personality types immediately so what you may perceive as overzealous is really just trying to maintain civility and adherence to the CoC

Gator 45/70 and BTPost like this.
  9. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

My thought is why would someone who is here to discuss the subject of survival in all things come on as hating the same people he is communioning with (so to speak)?

Sure BOTH our Govs have their faults, say it once and leave it with that and get on with the world you still have.

All communities have their rules and standards, if you don't like that fact then you need to figure out what you need to do to adapt, adjust your post or just ignore that forum member.

BTW MG, you are not on my ignore list, I figure you have a lot to offer, you just lack some maturity which takes time, perseverance, and a bit of understanding from us that you really are more pissed at your own country and situation than you want to admit to those around you so you come here to rant.

How do I know these things, well I may be wrong and you may be a troll but raising a family and havein' had near my 3 score and ten I have seen a lot and known a lot of folks.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    Mindgrinder likes this.
  10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I respectfully disagree with part of your post @HK_User communities have their rules... agreed...

Every community needs room for the 'outliers' the 'free thinkers' those people will save a community from becoming too insular and eventually dying off from lack of new ideas and stimulation.... while I admit @Mindgrinder is a PITA some days, i still respect his contribution and his willingness to face all the 'old people' style disapproval and still keep posting fresh ideas.

its interesting to me that we are ok with 'advice giving' but not ok in this community with kidding or joking sometimes. I see we all have different idea's of what is acceptable and I think that is good. Thanks for a great discussion!

Motomom34 likes this.
  11. HK_User

Geeze, I thought that's what I posted!!!!

Ganado likes this.
  12. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

my apologies, I didnt read it that way. Thanks for clearing that up =)

HK_User likes this.
  13. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

@KAS don't let that worry you. There is almost always more than one way to do anything, and some of us have had to find those other methods. [winkthumb]

Gator 45/70 and KAS like this.
  14. HK_User

Not a problem, maybe I still have too much Morphine in my system and have lost my ability to commune with others, although the House Dog is enjoying my time inside.

melbo likes this.
  15. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

That's almost funny. You and I have butted heads recently, mainly because you can't tell when I'm joking, and when I'm serious.

16. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

lol we have different styles @kellory and we sorted that out didn't we? If we didn't be sure and pm me and let me know

kellory likes this.
  17. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Ganado likes this.
  18. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Hmmm....just me or does it seem like a lot of advice here on how to and not to reply to threads? : )

Yard Dart, oldawg and RightHand like this.
  19. Rocky Road Lerp

Rocky Road Lerp Monkey+++

Better to air it and be on the same page, than hide it and let it fester. 'Sides, just makes the group stronger. Personally I think a little adversity is good for you. I like knowing when my head is up in the wrong place. Lol Just saying![salute]

Yard Dart and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Another solution is if you don't want feedback or advice, don't start a thread. Instead, make a blog.

There are times that I simply have something to say but don't expect most people to even read it let alone respond so I make a blog entry. If someone cares to comment, fine; if not, that's fine too. At times I will use my blog here but I also use my personal blog that has nothing to do with SM. That blog gives me the outlet that I need and takes up less space than the multitude of boxes of writings I have stored away containing the remnants of my thoughts since I was young, my own personal life map

BTPost and chelloveck like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7