A Noticable Trend - Advice Giving

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ganado, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

I got no beef with u either HK but I don't think you "get me".

A very large portion of my governments problems are DIRECTLY caused by your government and lobbyists...but i'm not gonna rant aboot that in this thread. When I flip out aboot 'murica feel free to call me out on facts - i'm not shy to back my words up, i'm rarely wrong but when I am - i man up and try to make it right,

In terms of community rules and standards - sure I get that. I strongly oppose "selective enforcement", power tripping and no practical dispute process vrs moderation.

In regards to being "immature" - pffft. It's not that at all. I am OF the Internet Generation. You are not. I understand internet memes/NLP and I AM the Internet....old folks are generally just "users". 60+ folks here will die or change long before my "interweb mannerisms" will. Bet on it.

I'm glad to not be on your ignore list but if I annoy you to a point of physical anger - just click the button.
    It aint worth having a heart attack over some text from a virtual stranger.

With that being said, you can give me advice any time.

MG

Motomom34, Ganado and HK_User like this.
  2. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I hate to burst your bubble MG but I, for one, was on the original "internet" before it was even called the "internet." We used a 2400 baud modem, sent dwgs that would take hours at that speed and book flights using raw data, no interface. I may be older than you, not sure about that, but I've been building computers, programming and designing complex applications since you were in short pants. Assumptions are beneath you in particular because you value facts over rhetoric

Gator 45/70, mysterymet, Dont and 4 others like this.
  3. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Remember , it was me and my generation that started and used the internet long ago. Our input was then called Computer Data Cards and then of course paper tape readers. Me and others programmed by hand and input if needed we actually used the BCD switches to input that information into the computers when other means failed such as the paper tape reader or the large Floppy Disk. Hours I have spent trouble shooting the PDP 8I computer and its interface and all the while getting production out at one of the Top Newspapers in the US. Then when that was completed I used the then new Ethernet loop network while checking on older equipment from electron tubes to single component repairs on circuit boards. And did I mention we were on the forefront of LSI and then into redesigning the legacy system by designing PLCs and other Pyramid (IBM) integration system to convert our data to be input to the IBM and all their Rockola Tape drives so we could get our data for the accounting folks to process.

Yup I'm really new at this computer stuff and old at it too.

Internet, phone lines and the buzzzzz, and we did it at home and at work and still had time to get along and not get burned out in the process.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  4. HK_User

And those oh so slow FAX units that took hours to transmit documents over dial-up systems.

5. Mindgrinder

I don't doubt any of what you said....but it's also old folks like you and BT who say things like "there is no way the NSA is recording ALL phone calls because there isn't enough bandwidth..." then get I TOLD YOU SO'd by me a year later via Snowden.
    ;p
    Hardware is only a PART of the internet....it is not the social aspect.
    Do you understand how cookies and target advertising work?
    ISP tracking? .gov metaspying? How to attack/defend if ever a packet war breaks out?
    Can you set up your email on iphone phone or win 10 tablet without checking your ISPs help page or calling tech support?
    If you don't stay constantly on top of these sorta things, they change and you become outdated.
    *edit - i used a 300 baud on a commie 64 to call bbs' LD too....but this aint Captain Crunch days bro...this is Anon days.
    :)

Ganado likes this.
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I suspect there are a whole passel of folks on the Monkey, who have Pre-ARPA_Net Networking Experience, @RightHand..... I for one was using the West Coast Intertie, from my house, to the Health Sciences DEC-10, @ UofW, via a DataGeneral used as a preProcessor, @ 300 Baud. The DEC-10 was connected to the Admin's Burroughs @ UofW, which had a 1200 Baud dedicated TieLine to the Burroughs, @UofCal, Berkley,Ca which was directly connected to the Twin Burroughs @Livermore Labs. There was an "Incident" late one night where the DEC-10 Operator was running a SnoBol Program, that went RunAmuck, and caused a Major System Crash, of the WHOLE Network. Since I had a program running on the DataGeneral, I got "Called on the Carpet" just like everyone else, who was logged in that night. It wasn't fun the next day, when, the FBI came looking for ANYONE who was Logged In, because a very sensitive Military App had been running on the Twin Burroughs, and they had to make sure that no Data was compromised. This was in the Early 70's....

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  7. HK_User

Pretty much all the above. In 2007 I graduated and one of my last courses was a Masters Level course on "computers' from a well respected (in the computer bizz area) Aggie College. The class was from start to finish on hardware and software.

And I still do my own repairs and installs, gotta keep up with my kids.

Ganado and Mindgrinder like this.
  8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Martha? Plug me into the Smith's line please. (Yes, I've known that.)

9. Mindgrinder

*shrugs* touche' i s'pose but my point still stands.
    Perhaps you break the mold but you aint the norm for 60+.

Ganado likes this.
  10. HK_User

4 digit phone numbers.

Witch Doctor 01 and Sapper John like this.
  11. HK_User

Never said I was.

12. Mindgrinder

Bust my bubble all you like...just don't mess with my posts.
    Give me advice all you like too - i welcome different opinions....

13. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

this "old folk" as you say, has never, ever commented that we are not monitored. Many of us may be older than you but that just means that we've had more experience with the consequences of an over zealous government. Unlike my cranky old friend, I never had to ask to be connected but I do remember a time when our calls were monitored by the person with whom we shared a party line. Maybe that's why we tend to be more cautious than many young people.

I also suspect that there is a regional component to our beliefs. I have spent a good part of my life among very private and self sufficient old New England farmers. Anything less than 50 yrs residency and you're still a newcomer and no one will trust you

BTPost likes this.
  14. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

The bar here tends to be set a little higher than the norm.

15. Mindgrinder

I would agree with that statement for most things.

Ganado likes this.
  16. HK_User

Then again I never set out to be anything special nor do I think I am special.

But what I have learned is that those who believe themselves special, invincible or not accountable for their actions will learn sooner or later that limits always follow in each pursuits of life.

I raced GP Motorcycles, I crashed.
    I worked hard, a ladder failed,I got hurt.
    If I insult people just to be tough then I'll get my reward there too.
    If I am so stupid as to post my whole world on the internet then that too will cost me.

And I think the last is what the present internet young user fail to believe, mostly because they have never paid any real price for what they do.
    Call it the internet disconnect.

Brokor, Mindgrinder and BTPost like this.
  17. ghrit

Here's a spot of advice then. Do not be too surprised if your posts are moderated for one reason or another. You are sharp enough to know what you are doing and where the edges are, so methinks little of that, if any, will be needed unless specifically asked for.

18. Mindgrinder

Thanks for bringing the thread back on track....sry if we got derailed a bit....my intention wasn't to diss anybodies l33t IT and acronym 1970's knowledge....i'm sure some enjoy it none the less. ;p

Back on thread track - giving advice...
    I've got some for you i'm sure....but i'm still thinking aboot what HK said.

:)

Brokor likes this.
  19. ghrit

Hang in, you're doing fine.

Brokor likes this.
  20. Mindgrinder

[​IMG]

Banksy

Motomom34 and RightHand like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary