A Noticable Trend - Advice Giving

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ganado, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I keep one thing in mind from now on when I visit this forum of ours...

"What can I do to make this a better place?"

Many of you don't know. The "old" folks, and many original members who still post here, as well as those who have been around long enough recall how simplistic this forum used to be still do. I don't mean that as a compliment. It was a standard forum, not much to offer anybody except a few dozen people who were bored with the way other forums were managed. There was a main page when you visited the web address, it didn't take you direct to the forums. Melbo's web page had links to articles and information, much of which has been fully integrated (such as "Articles" in the navigation bar) and downloads for military manuals.

There has been a lot of work through the years that has gone in to making this forum available, not to mention money and time. I only bring this up now because of the 10 year anniversary of Survival Monkey, and I like to think 10 years of my life actually counts for something. So, when I see people posting away and engaging in civil conversation, sharing thoughts and essentially storing all of this data into the SM archives, I smile. This is our home. Treat it like it's your home, and be a courteous host.

:)

2. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

Stop asking questions and get on topic....give me some unwanted advice and try to be trendy aboot it damnit.
    We're already derailed and @Ganado is gonna meme me soon if i don't stop screwing around in her olive branch threads...
    4th wall what?

Tully Mars, Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

:facedesk: not you too! :)

Mindgrinder likes this.
  4. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

[​IMG]

Do you get it?
    You better get it.
    Srysly....don't forget it.

Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

LOL!

Oh, man. You guys are cracking me up. :LOL:

Mindgrinder and Ganado like this.
  6. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

You guy's make me chuckle here! (Shacking head) About the time I get things lined up in my head to reply, you throw out a lot of interesting replies.. I may be an old guy, and limited on my education, but I do appreciate and value the advice that is provided here.

7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Thanks for bringing this subject up. This needs to be addressed. If someone takes a step, join them in their walk. Don't push them off the walk way. We are all going to be in this together if SHTF so we best start learning how to appropriately greet and integrate new folks now into our community. New people bring a fresh perspective, I happen to like that. And new people with questions, well for some of us it is a re-visiting. I think it was @DarkLight that wrote the thread on re-visiting, IMO it is vital.

I need to disagree with this. If I complete a project and want to share, I am not looking for advice but just sharing. All threads should not be looking for advise but can also be see what I have done. If I see something created or done, my thought is not to look for how it could have been better but how was this done and can I fashion something like this also. I know a few members (maybe me included) that will not share projects because they don't want to be micro-managed, they don't want to hear how they could have done it better. Always think someone put thought, time and effort~ so respect that.

8. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Thank you ! This is precisely my point

CATO likes this.
  9. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Seems a lot like a trophy for showing up. There is a significant difference between critique, criticism, advice and lip service. I appreciate the opportunity to discuss why i did something in a particular way then hearing some alternatives. I learn best by doing but I always want to do it better next time.

10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

It's no great strain, I don't think, to suggest reading the blog in a post. That way, the reader gets to see the what, when, and how, and any comments that fall back into the thread can be readily ignored. "I did it my way, and your way may be an improvement. Take what you can use," or words to that effect. The idea that you created something might plant the idea in someone else's head and they can run with it from there. To my mind, "Here's how I did it" beats "Here's what you should have done" inside out.

BTPost, HK_User and RightHand like this.
  11. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Reminds me, I gotta finish a few projects I started on this Forum.
    EDC Ranch Bag
    Copper/Plastic/Wood Knife Sheath
    XL Cow stick.

12. ghrit

Giddy up, buttercup. We've been lurking.

Tully Mars likes this.
  13. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Well this is a forum the last I checked. Most forums are a place to share ideas.

Did I miss something and we can now check a box and it becomes a blog? :sarcasm:

We need new people with new ideas or this site will eventually die.

The original request was politely asked 'please don't bombard new members with unsolicited advice' Not about blogging.

When someone makes a request there are one of 3 possible responses. 1) yes request accepted 2) no request denied 3) counter offer.

Negotiations 101

14. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I guess you might consider the blog a counter offer

BTPost and ghrit like this.
  15. ghrit

Well, a couple things come to mind-
    After 70 odd posts, some deviation can be expected. If I were a little less PC, I might say "Get used to it."
    Alternatives are not necessarily critical, and might be helpful to avoid exactly the OPs main point about over loading a simple idea with whatever it was called. Advice that didn't directly answer the question? You get that on forums, yes, it happens. Often. Frustrating? To some of a too tightly wrapped sort, for sure it is.

For the time being, request denied, since that is the one option you offered that is open at this point.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    BTPost likes this.
  16. duane

duane Monkey+++

My take for what it matters is that a lot of us newbe's have lurked on different forums for many years and often when we try to enter into the forums and live with all the unwritten rules and such often go back to being even more confirmed lurkers. When I got done with the Frugal S forum, it took 6 months before I could turn on my computer again. As much as I enjoy the give and take of the threads I enjoy the solid advice of the resources even more. Just the way my mind works I guess. One of the major reasons that I would like to participate in this forum is to thank the people involved who have put so much time, effort, money and thought into creating a great resource with a real world approach and if possible contribute to it. The nature of the web and I guess modern life is that participation is optional and you can get 90% of the benefits by lurking on the outside and watching.

f

ghrit, RightHand and Yard Dart like this.
  17. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

What makes a forum is people. If all you want is resources, hit up your local library. There, you can get all the dry facts you want....but you will not get someone who has used them, and fully understands them. You will not get the interaction that allows for new ideas. New methods, new materials, and if nothing else, the reviews that tell you how that method faired. Was it a waste of time and money, or is it a good idea?
    You miss out on the friendships that developed, and the lives you miss. Who had a birth, a death, a major failure avoided. You miss out on the friction that pares your ideas down to what really matters, and what is working against you. You miss out on the brains of all the friendly folks about you, who are working to solve your car problem or why your stock is dying.
    A forum is like an extended family of friends, ask a question and get advice. Or just play a game with like minded folks.
    If all you want are dry facts....get a Library card.[dunno]

Dont likes this.
  18. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

There is a lot of good conversation on Advice in this thread. Communication is the best skill one can have when it comes to teamwork. We are a team, a community of people....each with a unique set of skills,knowledge and experiences. I would dare to say, that we are all great in one way or another.... and worse in other ways, than many here. We are not in a competition here, to show who is the greatest survivor/prepper, who has the most knowledge, or the tightest shot group.... if you are, then you have already failed as a team member (I know I am going to get a "I am a lone wolf" from someone...cool).

As a friend here recently said.... in a room of Alpha's, the scale starts over. And I will defer anytime to learn from those who do the task better than I... or who is smarter, faster, stronger and so on...... as a team we are stronger than alone. As Monkeys, we are stronger working together, sharing knowledge and creating teamwork.

Bottom line is, we want to be welcoming to all and create an environment that entices folks to participate. It is frustrating at times to watch folks ideas marginalized because there is an error in their plan or missing information... or a lack of detail because they are trying to observe some form of OPSEC.... and they are beat up, picked on, marginalized, diminished for that. When in reality, we should be trying to help with quality input to what they are doing or attempting to achieve/learn.

I think the more experienced members need to try to be the guide so to speak and work on encouraging more participation and providing assistance. Instead of pushing someone back into the lurker status, due to conflict that they prefer to avoid... or bent feelings for being publicly called out for a minor issue in their plan/thought/question... what have you.

Be that person, that you would want to learn from....that you would want Advice from. :)

Dont, Tully Mars, Brokor and 3 others like this.
  19. RightHand

I think that's a pretty harsh response. Although most people come to enjoy the give and take of participation, there is nothing wrong with just lurking if the new member is more comfortable in that role. We really like to hear fresh voices but we're happy if the non-vocal members take some useful information from their time here. Its up to each member to decide exactly what's right for them. I'm not into trying to fit everyone into one mold.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2015
    Dont, Tully Mars, Motomom34 and 2 others like this.
  20. RightHand

I think that for me, the bottom line is that I don't want new members to feel they "owe" us anything. We offer what we know with no strings attached. We hope new members will give us the benefit of their experiences but its only a hope, not a requirement

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7